Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1917 Doubled Die Obverse & An Early 30th Birthday Present

Though I am an infrequent poster here I am certainly a daily reader, and have enjoyed and appreciate the on going conversations that these boards bring. I'd like to share a recent purchase.

For me cherrypicking isn't so much about the potential profit, but the successful hunt. I like to think most feel that way. Over the last 5 years I have been feverishly searching through listings, going to local shows and stores convinced that there had to be one 1917 DDO left out there undiscovered. This extends back to my childhood when I would go through my redbook, and search through rolls looking for the special ones. 5 years went by, and not even a low grade one could be found. Then on February 26, 2015 at approximately 8:05am it happened, the eBay listing of my dreams, clear as day... a 1917 DDO for $5. My heart was literally pounding out of my chest. I can't wait to send this off to be graded, and subsequently add to my set. I will cherish this piece for a long time. I think even if I eventually upgrade it as some point, I'll hold onto it. Thanks for reading.

P.S. Sorry for the less than stellar photos they were taken with my smartphone.

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should look at the reverse carefully--use a loupe. Focus on the area beneath OF AMERICA and the wheat stems. I think I see marks indicative of burnishing.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should look at the reverse carefully--use a loupe. Focus on the area beneath OF AMERICA and the wheat stems. I think I see marks indicative of burnishing. >>

Sorry that's probably my lack luster camera work. The coin is quite wholesome, and original.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    how awesome and huge congrats
    great read too...i love it...that bit about the hunt image

at $5 for this example...."YOU SUCK"
    and happy bday
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find!
    Must be sweet after the long hunt.
    Cool coin.
  • Nice wright up, nice coin and happy birthday.
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Nice!

Here`s mine, not as nice as yours but a image coin none-the-less
    imageimage
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    update us if you send it in for grading
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pick, congratulations. I know exactly what you mean when you say it's the thrill of the hunt, not the potential for profit, that makes cherrypicking so rewarding. Like you I searched off and on for years to cherrypick a 1917 DDO, here's a link to the thread I started when I was finally successful.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with your "Thrill of the hunt" sentiment. I know that "pounding heart" thing well. I used to find these in low grade occasionally 20 years ago but never one as nice as yours! Congrats on a major cherrypick. Now, to complete your 1917 doubled die set find the doubled die reverse nickel-that's a REALLY tough one in any grade.
  • BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the congrats, I will be sending this in with a few other picks over these past 3 months. I will be sure to update when I hear back.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice VF. Congrats on the pick, and happy birthday. >>

I think it has a shot at XF40. If not that then VF35.

Congrats and as lasvegasteddy said, you do, indeed, SUCK.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick.

It's one of the ones that get "doubled die" on the label for no extra fee, submit it as coin number 92497.

If you want the FS number on label then you gotta pay the fee.

Ed
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My heart was literally pounding out of my chest. >>

If your heart were literally pounding out of your chest, you'd be dead. Unless you were having open heart surgery.

(Sorry- silly pet peeve of mine- the word "literally" gets improperly used WAY too often these days.)

Now that that little bit of pedantry on my part is over, I will say... congratulations! image

And happy birthday, too!

Nice cherrypick for sure! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice VF. Congrats on the pick, and happy birthday. >>

I think it has a shot at XF40. If not that then VF35.

Congrats and as lasvegasteddy said, you do, indeed, SUCK. >>

Could go either way. It's definitely at least a VF35, though, I agree with that. >>

First impression was VF30 here but the reverse is really nice and could carry it higher. If it goes XF40 that would be a homerun.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid XF40 I think.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful pick up and happy birthday

I think of all the pennies and other coins ive bought in huge lots and never checked for DD and sold

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pick- I've picked several, but none were anywhere near as nice as that one!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find..... I would say XF40....thinking the magnification makes the coin look less than it would in hand...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file