Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC fees for grading GSA CC Morgans...

Can I safely assume that I should send my GSA CC Morgan's to NGC in order to get the best price for them??

I see that their "economy" level is $18 per coin but only up to $300....with the 78, 80 & 85 exceeding that, should
I list them separately or can i just submit them all under that service level?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the info....I'm not a coin guy and so have difficulty with grade differentials....bought most of these 20 years or so ago
    and put them away along with some large cents and other raw Morgans (nothing rare)....these do not scan well for me...

I have 1878, 80, 81, 82, (2) 83 (2) 84 and 1885, each with original boxes and cards. I also have (3) additional
    1884 with boxes but no cards....also have (3) extra 1882 cards and (1) extra 1883 card. I do remember having
    multiples of these but did sell them off trying to keep (what I thought were) the best.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send them to PCGS. They now
    grade the coin in the original holder.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Thanks again....i do understand about the PL and DMPL...and while I appreciate your offer, if I decide to send them
    to be graded, I can take care of that...

It seems that if only one of these does well either in grade or PL, etc it would be worth it....or at least I'd
    stand a chance to recoup any expense and if I'm lucky, make a $ or two.

Thanks again for the info!
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Tough to gauge from the scans, but I'd say 62 with a shot at PL. >>

See.... I told you I can't grade for POOP! image

Thanks for ALL of your help!!
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of playing the submission game I would recommend going to a regional or national coin show and walk the floor with them. You can get tons of opinions and offers. Sell to the high offer. Based upon your Virginia Collector name I assume you are from Virginia. Head up to Baltimore. It is one of the premier national shows.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd take them to a show as well, from those pics I can't tell whether they're 58's or 66's.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    I have a friend who gave a lot of GSAs to NGC @ Baltimore, got them back two months later with high grades, PLs etc. Upstate buys them certified and uncertified at good prices. 90 and 91ccs are worth over $2K. Listed on Bluesheet.
  • Options
    Trying to corner the market eh, FtB?
  • Options
    I know a dealer who bought the 90 and 91ccs at Greysheet prices and sold on ebay and was surprised they went over $2K. Bluesheet has GSA rock bottom prices on these.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Whenever I wanted a 79-cc or 91-cc I could get several
    90-cc is very tough to locate
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluesheet is basically unusable for the better GSA's.

You may need to be a little patient with NGC right now. They have some defective GSA labels and are behind. I am still waiting for my FUN show onsite grading but I know they are working on the problem.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    And on the economy submission option if they come back as MS66PL, the friend who submitted a group did not have to pay more, he just had to wait two months plus for the job. I don't know why the grading services don't automatically charge the higher tier price on over $300 results.
  • Options
    I have a GSA collecting problem as I can't seam to stop buying them. Getting them in a perfect box is also a bonus . Delaware show I was just at I picked up 1882 cc for 170.00 with box and papers. Easy 63 with very little bag marks. Also picked up spare boxes at 3.00 a box in new condition. Nice to have them when you see a GSA with no box. Can always get a few bucks off the coin that way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file