Home U.S. Coin Forum

First U.S. coin purchase of 2015!

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wanted to share this lovely coin, now that it is written up. Would love to hear any information on the potential England connection from any of the great minds on here, including Andy Lustig, who was one of the dealers that repatriated the Husak piece. image

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    1964P FS 801 dime. Tough variety.
  • msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't know anything about the England connection, but I do know that's a beautiful coin.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome.
    mirabela
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such nice color! The coin is almost devoid of distracting nicks, too. Very tough to find any 1800 cent with nice surfaces, much less an R4 die marriage.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking piece!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. It really did stick out like a sore thumb, although there were lots of cool coins in the collection, including about 6 others that I am keeping, a few colonials and a really nice 1823 large cent that i am working up right now. Always so much fun looking at raw coins lined up in a Dansco..
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool coin and experience for you!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin indeed - surprised it's only an AU50....this may be one of the few times the EAC grade could be higher than the slab grade!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice coin....and it is interesting about the England connection....There was a fair amount of travel and commerce at that time...Cheers, RickO
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a copper guy, but that is nice.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    I love those early coppers!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Congrats!

It's interesting that a few high grade examples of this variety came from England, but not that surprising. Whether they all left the USA in one pocket or two, they were not likely to circulate again.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    John, neat story, very interesting. Nice coin and congrats! I wonder if they were simple souvenirs taken back to England? Probably a peasant (my kin folk?), as Lord St. Oswald took back $20 face (guess) in American "change". Including two Gem 1794 Dollars. See Pogue's coin.

I like your photo and writeup. Could you please do that for my collection? I will pay you back by not telling the forum that you secretly love stamps more than coins.

Now I know to buy cool coins from Earl, and you catalogue them.

Keep these posts coming!

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, and a cool backstory.

(As an aside, did you mean to write "found their way to the Isles"?)
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin. Over the years I know whenever you post a coin on the forum you never disappoint.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file