Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do collared dies last longer than uncollared ones?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have no idea. Does anyone know the answer?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess but probably do last longer by keeping more even pressure on them. Also allow the press to run faster so more strikes per day.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mystery of the week.....calling Fred W., dcarr, .... someone has the answer...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question. Chris Pilliod would be a great resource. To bad he doesn't post here (that I know of).
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a question for the great and powerfull Dan... I don't know as well. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a hard question to answer from the U.S. series. The uncollared dies were used during the early days of the Philadelphia Mint when "steel" used in coin dies was of uneven quality. Some dies like the stemless wreath that was used on the 1804, 1805 and 1806 half cents lasted for all or parts of three years. The die was used on the 1808 C-1 half cent (the 8 over 7 obverse with the "office boy" reverse) may have lasted for only 100 to 200 impressions. Some of the early dies cracked during their preparatory stage.

The collared dies seemed to last longer in general, but of course there were exceptions. I would think that in general dies used with collars would last longer because the repetitive up and down motion would be more consistent which would result in fewer die chips on the sides (cuds) and more evenly applied pressure.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what is meant by "collared dies."

There are several known instances of anvil dies that were heavily cracked staying together and continuing to be used POSSIBLY because the collar around the die held it together.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file