Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this look like a fake PCGS slab?

The fonts just look a little off - as well as the coin in general.

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    The reverse looks very strange, is there any way you could get a closer image of it?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct info comes up on the cert. # lookup page, except for the PCGS Guide price of $72. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like a real slab
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The correct info comes up on the cert. # lookup page, except for the PCGS Guide price of $72. image >>

I didn't know they were so cheap.........

What the heck is wrong with this picture?

Cert# Say $72 yet the PCGS Price Guide says $1450?

What am I missing? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Looks ok. The lack of barcode on the front is probably what's throwing you. For a short period of time, the barcode was on the back. I believe this slab is from the early-mid 2000's.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    What are your concerns ? I have a lot of those older holders. The printing and font looks right to me.
  • Options
    I figured it out.

The Cert number is referring to an 1878-S "Morgan Dollar". Not a trade dollar.

This says its fake.

The Label has the wrong coin series:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    You guys are paranoid.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either 19Lyds just made a good catch of a forger's mistake, or smoebody at PCGS made a huge "mechanical error" while generating the insert. image

I'll go with "mechanical error". The coin looks legit.

In that generation of holder, an 1878-S Trade Dollar would have been labeled Series 51, Coin #18.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its good
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The barcode on the reverse reads correct for a 1878 S Morgan. Typically the barcode on the fake slabs come back jiberish if they scan at all. I say either mechanical error insert, or the slab was tampered and T$ inserted. Probably mechanical error.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many things wrong with this slab. The obvious is the label should say T$1 for Trade Dollar and it says S$1.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the 5s in the cert # look a bit off, also, but maybe not..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Isn't it funny.

So many blaring discrepancies yet............folks "want" to believe it's real.

And ya wonder why counterfeiting is so lucrative?

Send it to PCGS for a final determination.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the coin numbers for a 78S Morgan and Trade?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    M7082 S$1
    T7048 t$1
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any stacking tabs on the reverse either. Is it my bad eyes, or is the photo just not clear enough?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is fake, it is a great job
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    I say real with mechanical error of wrong coin number

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing a lot of this generation of PCGS holders being counterfeited.

It would seem to be much easier to counterfeit the later holders since "PCGS" on the back of this holder is raised and silvered.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I say real with mechanical error of wrong coin number >>

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    bcdeluxebcdeluxe Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Don't the certs for Trade dollars usually read T$1 not S$1?

Edit: I see someone already pointed that out.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I say real with mechanical error of wrong coin number >>

+1
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments. I didn't even pick up on the cert verification, the S$1 versus T$1, or the lack of the word trade dollar on the slab. Sure, it could be a mechanical error, but thats not what caught my eye.

The fonts just look off to me. Too thick and boldfaced. Thats what caught my eye first, not the coin.

But if the holder is fake...then what about the coin.....(insert a line from any B Horror movie).....

The coin itself looks a little weird as well. Its seems the good TD counterfeits have the same look. Not many major marks, shiny, a little dirty, pewter like appearance. These are the only pics I have.

Anyways, its a friends, and I will make sure that PCGS sees it. The forum isn't 100% thats its legit, so let PCGS have a look.

I will give an update when the results are in.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the fonts do not look right. Compare the 5 as someone mentioned earlier, between the OP's pic and the one posted by Lyds.... the "fake" has a five lwith a flag like top bar, similar to a plain 5 1865 Indian Head cent and the one that Lyds posted has a different type of top bar; with a squared off look. Fake slab, real cert #, but wrong series. Too many things wrong.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real coin, real slab, mechanical error.

What is interesting is that it is clear to me that PCGS changed the font of the "5" sometime in the middle of this slab generation, or had multiple label machines, each with a different font for the "5". I've got both types of "5" on that generation of slab in my collection. Here are two Morgans with the "suspect" type "5" on their label. These are without a doubt genuine coins.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the correction on that 5 font. I checked the ones I have (not very many) and all were of the other font. I am curious to find out the truth when it comes back from grading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file