Home U.S. Coin Forum

First purchase of the year! Capped Bust Half *graded added*

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked this up at the Red River Valley Coin Club show over the weekend. Bought an equally as stunning 1826 last year from the same dealer.

Ill let you guys guess at the grade.

NGC MS64

Comments

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I guess 58.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    Pretty coin! I will guess MS62.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty!
    I would say AU58.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Looks MS62 to me. Great find image
  • 63 all day... Unless i am wrong
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS61... very pretty!
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>55 and nice! >>

I agree. NGC may have called it 58.
    Lance.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>63 all day... Unless i am wrong >>

It's either this, or possibly 58...but WOW, we're just not used to seeing hair detail like that on CBH this side of the Uber Grades image
    Some pretty smokin Busties here lately, and I expect with the return of the good Dr. D it's only just getting started !
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sure is pretty! I'm in the 58 camp - I like it as MS 62 also.
  • I am going with 58. Beautiful coin!
    BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy NGC 58.....nice coin.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike is hammered! Sure it is not a proof?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was quit hard to capture this coin. The face is nearly free of any marks, the fields have no big marks.

NCG MS64, I looked at auction records of other 64's and this was just as nice or better. I hand its quite the stunner.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - beautiful coin!
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin! I'd call it AU58 from those shots.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any rub so I'd say 62 - maybe 63?
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>55 and nice! >>

Lance. >>

My thoughts exactly.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64, wow!
    That is another coin I'd like to see in person.
    Beautiful.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I think NGC may have graded it as a 64.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see it anywhere from 58 to 63.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I grade it MS63 from the images
  • There seems to be a lot of variability in how the main grading services grade these. 64 seems overly generous, in terms of eye appeal or the "64" definition in the official ANA standards, but I have seen PC 63s that were toned like this but looked to me as undeserving of that high grade. Look through auction records and you will see high end ones and those that aren't so high end. This one looks like a better 64: http://www.davewcoins.com/store/p318/1834_Bust_Half_Dollar._PCGS_graded_MS64..html But still not my idea of near gem, but I am not an expert so I defer to them. Some submitters get lucky.
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    That coin most definitely deserves a new holder. If you cross it to PCGS, please return it to the forum, for further discussion.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>55 and nice! >>

Lance. >>

My thoughts exactly. >>

looks like no jobs at NGC in our future image
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, sweet, congratulations !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty typical to me for an NGC MS64. PCGS might grade it 1-2 pts tougher....but, you never know.

Nice looking coin.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    I do plan on crossing this coin in the future along with getting a TrueView done, not sure when since I already have 30 some coins going in. Once I sell some of those to free up my coin budget perhaps.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a real beauty,

congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beauty.
    Not sure where all the AU grade guesses are coming from. I see no wear or luster breaks anywhere on this one.
    Nice coin that I wish I owned.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    She's very pretty! Dunno that NGC was generous with the grade. It seems this may well be a superb example of the challenge of grading an image. Too tough to evaluate the luster on this one.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful looking Bustie! Me likey!
  • It looks like a fantastic coin. In putting together my site and ranking a top five condition census for the past ten years there are many instances that I have found NGC 64's ending up re-sold in PCGS 65 holders (I have to check and weed out duplicate appearances). Do not knock MS NGC graded coins as you never know what sort of opinion graders at another service will think.

Make sure you do a cross at grade. The drop from what an NGC 64 is worth to what a PCGS 63 is worth is huge.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hammered strike...I call it a 63.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill go ms 63. jmo

<< <i>It looks like a fantastic coin. In putting together my site and ranking a top five condition census for the past ten years there are many instances that I have found NGC 64's ending up re-sold in PCGS 65 holders (I have to check and weed out duplicate appearances). Do not knock MS NGC graded coins as you never know what sort of opinion graders at another service will think.
    Make sure you do a cross at grade. The drop from what an NGC 64 is worth to what a PCGS 63 is worth is huge. >>

I was looking for under-graded MS64-66 NGC bust halves for the period of 2002-2009....and never found one in 64 or 65. The closest was an 1818 NGC 66 out of the 2003 summer ANA sale that was darn nice, which Joe O'Connor ended up with. I don't think he was successful in crossing it though. The ONLY crosses and upgrades I was able to run across were a pair of ANACS 62/63 busties. They both upgraded to NGC 64's. The hardest coin to find during that 7 year window was a solidly graded NGC MS65 capped bust half. I never ran across one. I suspect the few decent ones were crossed as soon as a sharp dealer ran across them.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Make sure you do a cross at grade. The drop from what an NGC 64 is worth to what a PCGS 63 is worth is huge. >>

I'm not really up on current values of CBHs these days, but it may be worth crossing at 63+.
    As Roadrunner notes above, it's a very low percentage proposition to cross these at grade.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Love these bust halves, wish I had a bunch of them but don't have any. image

• << <i>

<< <i>Make sure you do a cross at grade. The drop from what an NGC 64 is worth to what a PCGS 63 is worth is huge. >>

I'm not really up on current values of CBHs these days, but it may be worth crossing at 63+.
    As Roadrunner notes above, it's a very low percentage proposition to cross these at grade. >>

There is one former NGC 62 currently for sale on Heritage as a PCGS 63. I am not going to spoil a current auction for someone, but there are many other examples of getting NGC coins to cross and upgrade (have had a few myself). NGC's reputation was damaged mightily with Bust Halves during the 2000's and that is their fault.

You guys who have not seen the coin in hand and are making a judgement on the OP photos are not making much sense to me.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

Ill be sending it off some point this Spring to PCGS. Ill let the TrueView do the talking for me. With my direct light from a fluorescent desk lamp I could only do so much with the straight on images. The next two were taken at angles just to show color.

*edit to add*
    I wouldnt have bought a coin that I didnt think had potential to cross. I looked was able to look at quite a few sales images and determine my offer based of that. And a $100 over Grey Sheet I think I should do fine.

<< <i>There is one former NGC 62 currently for sale on Heritage as a PCGS 63. I am not going to spoil a current auction for someone, but there are many other examples of getting NGC coins to cross and upgrade (have had a few myself). NGC's reputation was damaged mightily with Bust Halves during the 2000's and that is their fault. . >>

While bust halves were probably the worst, their reputation was also hurt with their grading of the entire 18th, 19th and 20th type coin markets. I never got a NGC 64-67 seated coin to cross in 15 years of trying (0 for 36)...and that includes many coins that later CAC'd or even upgraded at PCGS once cracked out. Cracking them out will of course lead to better results. But leaving them in the holders to cross is a very low probability event with 19th silver type in grades 64 and higher. For 22 years the majority of my holdings were NGC coins and my submissions almost always went to NGC. So I walked the walk since they first opened their doors in 1987.

Remember the Dick Osburn collection of seated halves back in 2011? Out of 155 coins with a 55/45% NGC/PCGS split....the results of stickered coins was astounding (38% PCGS stickered vs. 3% NGC). That wasn't just a one-off event. That's a 13X factor with hardly a bust half in that group. Every NGC coin I ever purchased for my own personnel collection had the attributes to cross....it just turned out that none of them ever did....at least not while submitted under my name/address. Quite a few have since cross/upgraded under new ownership. image

• << <i>

<< <i>There is one former NGC 62 currently for sale on Heritage as a PCGS 63. I am not going to spoil a current auction for someone, but there are many other examples of getting NGC coins to cross and upgrade (have had a few myself). NGC's reputation was damaged mightily with Bust Halves during the 2000's and that is their fault. . >>

While bust halves were probably the worst, their reputation was also hurt with their grading of the entire 18th, 19th and 20th type coin markets. I never got a NGC 64-67 seated coin to cross in 15 years of trying (0 for 36)...and that includes many coins that later CAC'd or even upgraded at PCGS once cracked out. Cracking them out will of course lead to better results. But leaving them in the holders to cross is a very low probability event with 19th silver type in grades 64 and higher. For 22 years the majority of my holdings were NGC coins and my submissions almost always went to NGC. So I walked the walk since they first opened their doors in 1987.

Remember the Dick Osburn collection of seated halves back in 2011? Out of 155 coins with a 55/45% NGC/PCGS split....the results of stickered coins was astounding (38% PCGS stickered vs. 3% NGC). That wasn't just a one-off event. That's a 13X factor with hardly a bust half in that group. Every NGC coin I ever purchased for my own personnel collection had the attributes to cross....it just turned out that none of them ever did....at least not while submitted under my name/address. Quite a few have since cross/upgraded under new ownership. image >>

My dealer just got back 3 (two graded long ago one more recently) NGC coins I sent for crossover and all three crossed. Details this weekend

You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

<< <i>all three crossed. Details this weekend >>

You tease.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file