Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early $5 Gold Fat Head - CAC Worthy?

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
One area where I've given serious thought about expanding my collecting interests is into the $5 Fatty series. This is without a doubt, one of the most challenging areas of numismatics. Aside from the 1813, the only relatively collectible dates are the 1814/3, 1818 & 1820. All the others, and there are many, are very rare (e.g. 1823) to downright excessively rare (e.g. 1822). That said, I've been casually looking for one of the better dates ('14/3, '18, or '20), and came across the following example:

This coin is in an NGC AU-53 holder, which I believe is a bit liberally graded, given the wear (AU-50 at best) and overall "look". What do you think about the coin's condition, and particularly, its level of originality? I know the pics aren't the best, not mine, but I think they give the beholder enough of an idea of its "look".

thanks,

'dude
Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    No way to tell from those images.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The left obverse field concerns me. I agree with AnkurJ that we need better images.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Sorry.... those are the pics provided by the seller. I would think that if someone was selling a $12-$13K+ coin, they'd want to provide the most "in hand-looking" pics as possible, but alas, 'tis not the case here. Images like this tend to leave me more concerned about potential (hidden) issues, than not.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    You are a gold expert, trust your instinct. I recently sold my MS63 CAC Fat Head. I love this type.
    Even with your pics:
    > I see clear signs of luster
    > I see clear contrasts which indicates honest wear
    > Agree with others, looks like a hairline in the left Obverse field
    I will go out on a limb. I think it will cross at grade and CAC.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From that image I don't think that CAC will endorse it because it appears to have been cleaned. Don't worry yourself about that because what really matters about these coins is what you paid for them, and what is says on the holder is secondary. As you said these coins are very scarce, and for those collectors who want them, beggars can't be choosers.

Unless you have a bank account like Harry Bass did, you can't limit yourself to CAC worthy coins in a series like this. If you have to buy nothing but CAC worthy coins, perhaps you will have to rethink your collector strategy or win the lottery.

When I finished my type set, this was the second to last coin that I needed. This is one of the rarest type coins in the United States coinage series although most collectors don't know that. The vast majority of collectors have never seen one of these coins "in the flesh."

NGC called it an MS-61, which it is not, but with a survival rate of 1% or less of the original mintage, this will do. This coin has not been polished, but it is "too bright" because it has been dipped. I don't find this design attractive, so I was not "loaded for bear" to find one of the best ones in existence. I paid EF money for this coin at auction.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The left obverse field concerns me. I agree with AnkurJ that we need better images. >>

Left obverse field looks strange
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Given the pics, as bad as they are, I'm on Bill's side on this. The field-to-device look & contrast yells "cleaned, or excessively dipped" to me. Having looked at hundreds of gold coins of interest, many of them via both images and in-hand, this one seems obvious.

FWIW, I don't buy CAC-only coins. I'm comfortable enough to seal a deal based on my opinion of the coin's condition (in hand or by auction representation) and its asking/hammer price. Does a CAC-sticker help? Many times, yes; but not all of the time. For example, here's one that I purchased earlier this year. Is it CAC-worthy?... I think so, but I'm not concerned with that now.

image[/URL]

Now - back to the 1818 HE. As I noted, I think the coin's been cleaned, or at least - vigorously dipped - judging by the images. Now for the clincher - it's also CAC'd.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any other type of coin and I would probably pass, given that it is an 1818 fat head I would consider this coin. These are so hard to find.
    I have always wanted to a date other than 1813 to my collection, just never found a decent looking one without breaking the bank.
    here is a CAC AU53 1813 the way I wish other dates could be found

imageimage
  • Options
    Bill,
    Yes, your 1834 is an attractive coin. While it does appear to have been dipped, it's not excessive and doesn't have that "washed out" look to it. A nice (and very rare date) example indeed.

FT,

That 1813 looks like it would be a gorgeous coin in hand.

Thanks both for sharing,

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No way to tell from those images. >>

The photos are too overexposed to make any judgement.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them as a type.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had close to first shot at this coin after it sold in a small regional auction. Needless to say I passed quickly. Is CAC slipping?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectibles Are Cool. image
    worthy ?

If one is dealing, perhaps. If one is collecting and he knows his coins, my question would be : "Why ?"
    I like the coin(s), even the integrity of the holders and those in the approval service to them. Ah, but the players are working the plastic, labels, stickers, grades and "value"… and to that end, as IMPRESSIONS do not mean so much except to the trading world, then my "dealer's thinking cap on" would ask : "Why not ? " They're forces to reckon with even as the coin stands alone.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    So we can determine a coins originality or surfaces from images on a computer and use them to question a company's integrity? Seriously....?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Question a coin's originality based on a computer image? Yes... Seriously. Question a company's integrity based on one bad apple?... That's a stretch of an assumption. Brian just confirmed my strong suspicion. The fact that he saw it and "passed quickly" speaks volumes.

'Dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    The 1818 looks decent, but the image is terrible. Starting out this was my least favorite half eagle design and I thought I would never even purchase one. Now I have 2 and probably overpaid for both, but try finding any that aren't damaged at anywhere near the PCGS listed prices. Both grade AU50. The 1820 is the BD-2 variety (R5+).

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote no. Sorry.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    JMB - very true about the guides and problem-free example. I'm sure you had to pay a little extra for that 1813... it's a very nice, eye-appealing example!

Original, unmolested ones are out there, but truly far & few between.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill 100%, but it's still a very nice coin to own, I'm jealous.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't really disagree with the AU53 grade nor the CAC sticker, as they have seen the coin in hand and I have not.

I'd be thrilled to own any coin of this type, and if and when the time comes, mine will probably be in a genuine holder

I do not believe the coin to be worthy of your collection, though, because you are in the market for an original and unmolested one, like your other coins, and this looks dipped.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sweet coins to look at. The one at issue, not so much, but the photos really suck. However, 'dude's 1801 $10 looks more than "good enough" . . image

With:

CDN 50 bid = $8,250
    CDN 58 bid = $10,000
    CDN 60 bid = $10.250

Technical quality aside, I'd be interested in the quote if the OP would care to share it.

edited to add: I've seen sweet 58's bring 11K

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No opinion on the 1818 in view of the image.

The 1801 10 looks terrific and FWIW, I would grade it higher than AU50.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Nice coins, rarely seen at smaller shows. And on the $10 green label Bust coin graded AU50, CAC gold all day long IMO. Just check out Coin Rarities online and their gallery of similar coins (archive).
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is a nice Choice AU and NGC's grade accurately reflects this. It seems to have nice appeal and some luster.

I think it is nicer than AU50. Very few collectors can afford a piece of this type and grade. The eye appeal of the coin and its marketability to a type collector would be the key ingredients in selling it. I definitely would not take a down grade on it if considering crossing it or whatever. Because of its big ticket nature you should give it a shot at CAC if the green bean means that much to you. Sticker or not, at that level of expense, its the coin itself that will pull its own weight.

It is a nice Ch AU which many would love to have in their date or type sets. For me its my opinion of a coin and its eye appeal which counts.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the idea is to market (and that's the idea, isn't it ? ) … even if it's ten years later, well I can only add:

Value is the bottom line and current auction records would not only suggest, but numerically dictate that the CAC's involvement in the hobby has increased the "validity" of coins in certain holders. That, to me, is a good thing.

Integrity and value aside, DO you know that CAC's business model increases the chance that the coin's in their system will trade more fluidly and with a more loyal following than those not given their approval ? Or is this assessment a bad assumption
  • Options
    Thanks Baley - you're correct, sir... I try to place the biggest emphasis on originality. Not something I always did when I started out forming my Charlotte HE collection in the early days, but I've learned that as long as one seeks & acquires good quality coins with good eye appeal at an acceptable cost, there is very little downside.
    And thanks for the feedback on the 1801 Eagle. I was glad to be at the right place & at the right time to secure that one.

As for the asking price on the 1818 HE - its listed price is north of $17K.

With:

CDN 50 bid = $8,250
    CDN 58 bid = $10,000
    CDN 60 bid = $10.250

Technical quality aside, I'd be interested in the quote if the OP would care to share it.

cheers,

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very attractive gold coin BillJones.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    As previously stated, the series is quite challenging. I appreciate the value of your coin even though it may not CAC. I was recently hooked on the series and went with an 1813, albeit the most common date of the series.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As previously stated, the series is quite challenging. I appreciate the value of your coin even though it may not CAC. I was recently hooked on the series and went with an 1813, albeit the most common date of the series.

image >>

While it may be the most common, it is still very tough in such outstanding condition. This piece appeals to me as a purest.
  • Options
    Beautiful 1813 dagman.
  • Options
    I don't look down on the 1813 half eagle at all. If it were not for that date, filling the type coin hole in my set would be far more expensive, and I would have a lower grade example. This is a nice looking MS-62 graded coin.

imageimage

This piece was an upgrade from the first 1813 half eagle I owned which was an AU-58.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    That is a gorgeous '13, DM. And an absolutely lovely MS '13, Bill. I would be humbly proud to own either of them.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Figured I would bring this back to the top with a new article by Doug Winter on an 1821 he recently sold.

1821 Half Eagle MS63+
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a CAC 53 I've owned for a while.

This is a 53 also but not beaned.

I looked quite a while for a fat head. They are multiples rarer than the capped bust right kind but sell for less.

Go figure. image
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Some mighty purty dirty gold in this post. Bill Jones' 1813 MS62 ain't dirty but she makes a compelling case to have traded up from the AU58. Very nice!!
  • Options

<< <i>This is a CAC 53 I've owned for a while.

I looked quite a while for a fat head. They are multiples rarer than the capped bust right kind but sell for less.

Go figure. image >>

The "go figure" is that the Capped Bust five dollar gold is a classic design that many collectors admire. Even though I have all the types I admire it more than the rarer "Fat Heads." Many collectors dream of having a piece of early gold, and they most often center on the Capped Bust Right type than on the later designs.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    based on the images, my first thought was that the coin is polished. but, i could also agree PQueue's analysis.

now, that i know the coin is graded and approved, i have to assume the images caused my first impression to be wrong.

ngc and cac aside, if i were a potential buyer of this coin, i'd have to see it in person to decide whether or not i wanted to drop 5 figures on it...especially with those images! it could go either way.

when i look at the images of your 1801 eagle, i'm not concerned about that coin at all. so, what's your price on that one? ;-)
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 21 DW sold is really sweet, but I couldn't afford the mortgage payments on it. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a CAC 53 I've owned for a while.

Go figure. image >>

The "go figure" is that the Capped Bust five dollar gold is a classic design that many collectors admire. Even though I have all the types I admire it more than the rarer "Fat Heads." Many collectors dream of having a piece of early gold, and they most often center on the Capped Bust Right type than on the later designs. >>

See, I fell for that old silliness of thinking that RARER coins should cost more than less rarer ones.
    I am so ashamed.
  • Options
    My main gripe is that these ....common... turbans.... are even more pricey than the fatties.

PLUS they are clumsy looking. Too big. Silly.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an 1823 on Ebay that I'm saving up my ebay bucks to buy, I figure in about a thousand years I'll have about enough to pull the trigger

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an 1823 on Ebay that I'm saving up my ebay bucks to buy, I figure in about a thousand years I'll have about enough to pull the trigger >>

NFC has some serious coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file