Home U.S. Coin Forum

Little Rock - A lesson in courage

Most people today don't realize there was a time in this country when the kids couldn't attend a school because of the color of their skin.
In the "modern" world today, now the Taliban uses terror to prevent the education of others.

The US Mint issued a commemorative coin in 2007. Coins tell also tell a story of our country.

The Little Rock Silver Dollars were created to honor the nine individuals who faced adversity in order to become the first African-American students to attend Little Rock Central High School, in Little Rock, Arkansas following the United States Supreme Court decision declaring racial segregation in public schools as unconstitutional. Known as the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, the decision paved the way for a Civil Rights movement that was still in its infancy.

Edited out of respect.

Please see the entertainment thread

Comments

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The Little Rock Silver Dollars were created to honor the nine individuals who faced adversity in order to become the first African-American students to attend Little Rock Central High School, in Little Rock, Arkansas

The nine individuals were very brave young men and women. If you studied the complete story, then you can understand the full significance of Brown v. BofE. This is a good commemorative and I like the design better than some others.

There was a YN here once, who had the sense to ignore pettiness and the heart to point out injustice - and he knew the difference.

Are you referring to Cameron?
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    To each their own but I have to say I am amazed at the time effort and thought you are putting forth here to ultimately get bammed. I guess I have never been around a person that would do something like that. Peace.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another bait thread. Go away.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Erik
    Went to Arkansas for wedding in the 1980's. Marriage ended before my return flight had landed.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we be commemorating on a coin the end of darker episodes of US history such as ending racial segregation in our schools? Should we commemorate on a coin the release of American citizens of Japanese ancestry at the end of WWII who were incarcerated by FDR in concentration camps?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Nothing but us hillbillies here.Actually to most Arkansas dose not even exist and most here like it that way.If you enjoy history there is alot of history here.For example Arkansas has their own Rockafeller family and yes they are related.For the masons out there during the Civil war Albert pike got his butt handed to him by the Cherokee fighting for the union at the battle of Pea Ridge.The main servey point for the Louisiana perchase is located in a swamp in Arkansas.General McArthur was born here.
    Mark Anderson
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dogpatch was ordered to integrate it's schools.

"What is a school?"

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have deep thoughts on the subject matter, but it so steers away from "the coin". Thank you for reminding me of my parents teachings. That we are all brothers and sisters and each of us can learn something new every day from one another. I only wish our focus was on "integration", because "desegregation" itself , in the literary sense of the word , offends me.
    There is much more "integrity" in "integration" than the imposition of law calling it "desegregation". My personal feelings on terminology and nomenclature.

And aside from that, our education system is in shambles, except for the magnate schools (some great advancements in technology there)

<< <i>And aside from that, our education system is in shambles, except for the magnate schools (some great advancements in technology there) >>

Most of the really wealthy guys went to the magnate schools.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i> And aside from that, our education system is in shambles, except for the magnate schools (some great advancements in technology there) >>

but now we have common core...so the core of all will be common image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Perhaps you're all referring to MAGNET schools?

I'm sort of new here, but just curious why all the vitriol directed to the OP... or is it the post itself? Personally, I find it refreshingly commendable that our country can "officially" own up to its past mistakes by producing and issuing such a design.

As far as the design itself, not all American coin designs necessarily have to feature allegorical figures, bald eagles, shields, flags, or dead presidents to be considered beautiful... unless, of course, one is resigned to traditional, neoclassical expressions of art, which IMHO, is a rather narrow prism to judge the aesthetics of an object.
    Robert
    Thanks for the correction. I meant "magnet". image
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just curious why all the vitriol directed to the OP... or is it the post itself? Personally, I find it refreshingly commendable that our country can "officially" own up to its past mistakes by producing and issuing such a design. >>

I would say it is both.
    There are a very small handful of people here that post stereotypical characterizations of minorities, that most people would consider racist, when they are trying to discredit another poster (which is what a lot of people here spend their time doing)

I called them out on it, explaining that’s not cool. That confused a core of people and they didn’t know what to do.
    Instead of addressing the issue, the herd mentality kicked in, so just ignore the meaningless noise.

Thank you for expressing your opinion and for your contribution to the subject.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder if ol' Topographic really believes this or not

....remember the 'shareholder' thread??

www.brunkauctions.com

• Really awful design.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    This summer we were in Little Rock and toured the school and the museum. I have to admit I didn't know much about the history of the it all. I purchased the coin from the gift shop and a book on the history of "The Little Rock Nine." The children sure we're courageous. We were glad we visited the site.
    As numismatics, education , and race go
    I appreciate the stand down our black brothers/sisters and all people of color and class have taken throughout history, for equality. But let's look at today.
    Even if there's division among some, we are ONE PEOPLE, as Americans.
    A LESSON in courage is posting here.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

"Most people today don't realize there was a time in this country when the kids couldn't attend a school because of the color of their skin.
    In the "modern" world today, now the Taliban uses terror to prevent the education of others."

i just want to say that it is patently false to say "most people". Anyone who is not aware of it has been under a rock. And it was not limited to Arkansas. Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia come to mind and no doubt many others. I would not be interested in the commemorative. I don't collect commemoratives in general.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest that knowledge of the young and supposedly educated people is quite sparse regarding events like the integration of Arkansas schools. My wife is a professor and taught a course about social protest and the 60s. The incoming freshman had NO clue about events like that. They were amazed when shown videos of what actually went on. And this was the honors college for the state. Kids have not been taught about these things either in the home or their schools... or they missed it when presented.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    And it was not limited to Arkansas. Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia

There are some fine cities and states "up north" that own that distinction, as well. Ted Kennedy could tell us a story or two, if he were still around...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file