Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here collect coins from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are coins from North Korea easily purchased? I've been to the Long Beach coin show on several occasions yet have never ventured over to the foreign material (usually on the outskirts of the show, toward the snack bar).

Will PCGS grade coins from North Korea?

peacockcoins

Comments

• I do, but I was shot in the head yesterday.
  • I am not sure that it s even legal to deal in them here. Canadian dealers might have some.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't you just go to a larger bank and exchange?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen NK stuff at shows. The currency is pretty creepy with the giant images of their dictators.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if CAC will put a pot sticker on them?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful. You might just get hacked.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I know North Korea issues 1 oz. silver coins. I have a few. They can be found without much difficulty and I believe Littleton even sells them occasionally.

North Korean coins probably can't be directly sold to the U.S. but they can be imported from a third country. Same for their banknotes, which I have plenty of.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not sure that it s even legal to deal in them here. Canadian dealers might have some. >>

They're definitely legal. The U.S. does not allow direct business with some countries like North Korea (or Cuba, Iran, etc.) but most products can be had through a 3rd country. North Korean products can be exported to a country that they conduct business with (basically every country in the world that isn't the U.S.) then from that country the product can be exported to the U.S. It's the same way North Korea can get access to American products like Coca Cola. Although Coca Cola can't be directly sold to North Korea, Coca Cola can be sold to China then from China it gets sent to North Korea.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>Wonder if CAC will put a pot sticker on them? >>

You mean Pol Pot ?
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have seen NK stuff at shows. The currency is pretty creepy with the giant images of their dictators. >>

"Dictator" isn't that a guy with some thing put in a potato? image

Hoard the keys.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ever see it. It doesn't walk into the shop. But there are many carrying and using American coins, even as their ideologies are against our capitalistic society, since we are on the subject of coins. image
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought a north korean coin the other day. I paid melt for it at a local shop. It's in an ICG slab
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll start collecting North Korean coins right after I complete my collection of modern Cuban coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• In America it's while you where sleeping the commie crept in unaware.
    Mark Anderson
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do collect coins from this loathsome police state, you can bet very few of them have passed through the hands of the unfortunate people who live there. Most people in North Korea live in poverty and are lucky to get something to eat, let alone move the next level and have an economy that incorporates a silver coinage.

If buying gold coins from South Africa was immoral when Apartheid was in force there was morally wrong, then buying silver coins from the oppressive regime in North Korea is equally wrong. Please, don't feed the pigs.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that the silver NCLT coins were ever in the country.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

<< <i>If you do collect coins from this loathsome police state, you can bet very few of them have passed through the hands of the unfortunate people who live there. Most people in North Korea live in poverty and are lucky to get something to eat, let alone move the next level and have an economy that incorporates a silver coinage.

If buying gold coins from South Africa was immoral when Apartheid was in force there was morally wrong, then buying silver coins from the oppressive regime in North Korea is equally wrong. Please, don't feed the pigs. >>

If we start turning up our noses at coins from countries where people were abused or killed what countries would be allowed to collect from?image

<< <i>
    If we start turning up our noses at coins from countries where people were abused or killed what countries would be allowed to collect from?image >>

Can I give an "amen" without being imprisoned or persecuted here ?
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numista lists 138 coins here.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have seen NK stuff at shows. The currency is pretty creepy with the giant images of their dictators. >>

"Dictator" isn't that a guy with some thing put in a potato? image >>

<< <i>I doubt that the silver NCLT coins were ever in the country.

image >>

This is precisely the point. Many "coins" like this are made by a private mint which often distributes them to collectors. They are never in the country that issues them.

These medals, which is what they really because they have never circulated as coins, provide an income stream to North Korea. "Real" North Korean coins that actually circulate within the country are certainly fair game for collectors. These other things are doubtful purchases IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the 138 Numista lists, 98 and NCLT and 40 are listed as circulating [though one is clearly actually NCLT]. And represent several different periods.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    I have an inexpensive circulating coin from North Korea in my "one from every country" collection. I also have coins from Nazi Germany, Italy under Mussolini, the Soviet Union, various African countries under cruel dictators, etc. It doesn't mean I support the regimes. I just find it interesting to have coins from so many places and periods.

The only people that need to be scared of North Korea are those that own stock in Sony image

I have a few pounds of foreign coins to look through. Who knows where they're all from ? I have a Romanian coin. And you know what they say ? When in Romania , do as the Romanians. Same thing goes with coin geeks every where. I bet there are even a few coin geeks in NK.

<< <i>The only people that need to be scared of North Korea are those that own stock in Sony image >>

I can't believe that you are so naive about North Korea. North Korea has a nuclear weapon, and all they need is a way to deliver it. If the North Koreans dropped it on Japan, which given Japanese history, would be a catastrophic event for them. You can bet it would cause shockwaves throughout the world. And given the mental instability of the North Korean leader, no one can be sure that they would not use a nuclear weapon.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a few pounds of foreign coins to look through. Who knows where they're all from ? I have a Romanian coin. And you know what they say ? When in Romania , do as the Romanians. >>

I really like their lettuce with ranch dressing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    아니, 난 미안 그 동전 을 수집하지 않습니다
    (No I don't collect those coins Sorry)
    Matt
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried to snipe some on the North Korean eBay site but it wouldn't take my bid.
    Coincidence?
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

<< <i>

<< <i>The only people that need to be scared of North Korea are those that own stock in Sony image >>

I can't believe that you are so naive about North Korea. North Korea has a nuclear weapon, and all they need is a way to deliver it. If the North Koreans dropped it on Japan, which given Japanese history, would be a catastrophic event for them. You can bet it would cause shockwaves throughout the world. And given the mental instability of the North Korean leader, no one can be sure that they would not use a nuclear weapon. >>

What do you mean naive ? North Korea is a new country. Korea fought against Japan on our side in WW2 . After the war we graciously decided to subdivide their country without their consent and then wage a proxy war with russia and china on their land. How many Koreans from north and south died as a direct result of our actions from half a planet away? A million? I am assuming that if they have a grudge against us we probably deserve it.

They needed nukes to defend themselves from us. If they didn't have nukes , and artillery pointed at South Korea we would be busy installing our little puppet regimes there every 20 years.

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War. (* indicates successful ouster of a government)

China 1949 to early 1960s
    Albania 1949-53
    East Germany 1950s
    Iran 1953 *
    Guatemala 1954 *
    Costa Rica mid-1950s
    Syria 1956-7
    Egypt 1957
    Indonesia 1957-8
    British Guiana 1953-64 *
    Iraq 1963 *
    North Vietnam 1945-73
    Cambodia 1955-70 *
    Laos 1958 *, 1959 *, 1960 *
    Ecuador 1960-63 *
    Congo 1960 *
    France 1965
    Brazil 1962-64 *
    Dominican Republic 1963 *
    Cuba 1959 to present
    Bolivia 1964 *
    Indonesia 1965 *
    Ghana 1966 *
    Chile 1964-73 *
    Greece 1967 *
    Costa Rica 1970-71
    Bolivia 1971 *
    Australia 1973-75 *
    Angola 1975, 1980s
    Zaire 1975
    Portugal 1974-76 *
    Jamaica 1976-80 *
    Seychelles 1979-81
    Chad 1981-82 *
    Grenada 1983 *
    South Yemen 1982-84
    Suriname 1982-84
    Fiji 1987 *
    Libya 1980s
    Nicaragua 1981-90 *
    Panama 1989 *
    Bulgaria 1990 *
    Albania 1991 *
    Iraq 1991
    Afghanistan 1980s *
    Somalia 1993
    Yugoslavia 1999-2000 *
    Ecuador 2000 *
    Afghanistan 2001 *
    Venezuela 2002 *
    Iraq 2003 *
    Haiti 2004 *
    Somalia 2007 to present
    Libya 2011*
    Syria 2012

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    (* indicates successful ouster of a government)

I guess we need to define what successful means.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I can't believe that you are so naive about North Korea. North Korea has a nuclear weapon, and all they need is a way to deliver it. If the North Koreans dropped it on Japan, which given Japanese history, would be a catastrophic event for them. You can bet it would cause shockwaves throughout the world. And given the mental instability of the North Korean leader, no one can be sure that they would not use a nuclear weapon. >>

What do you mean naive ? North Korea is a new country. Korea fought against Japan on our side in WW2 . After the war we graciously decided to subdivide their country without their consent and then wage a proxy war with russia and china on their land. How many Koreans from north and south died as a direct result of our actions from half a planet away? A million? I am assuming that if they have a grudge against us we probably deserve it.

They needed nukes to defend themselves from us. If they didn't have nukes , and artillery pointed at South Korea we would be busy installing our little puppet regimes there every 20 years.

Instances of the United States overthrowing, or attempting to overthrow, a foreign government since the Second World War. (* indicates successful ouster of a government)

China 1949 to early 1960s
    Albania 1949-53
    East Germany 1950s
    Iran 1953 *
    Guatemala 1954 *
    Costa Rica mid-1950s
    Syria 1956-7
    Egypt 1957
    Indonesia 1957-8
    British Guiana 1953-64 *
    Iraq 1963 *
    North Vietnam 1945-73
    Cambodia 1955-70 *
    Laos 1958 *, 1959 *, 1960 *
    Ecuador 1960-63 *
    Congo 1960 *
    France 1965
    Brazil 1962-64 *
    Dominican Republic 1963 *
    Cuba 1959 to present
    Bolivia 1964 *
    Indonesia 1965 *
    Ghana 1966 *
    Chile 1964-73 *
    Greece 1967 *
    Costa Rica 1970-71
    Bolivia 1971 *
    Australia 1973-75 *
    Angola 1975, 1980s
    Zaire 1975
    Portugal 1974-76 *
    Jamaica 1976-80 *
    Seychelles 1979-81
    Chad 1981-82 *
    Grenada 1983 *
    South Yemen 1982-84
    Suriname 1982-84
    Fiji 1987 *
    Libya 1980s
    Nicaragua 1981-90 *
    Panama 1989 *
    Bulgaria 1990 *
    Albania 1991 *
    Iraq 1991
    Afghanistan 1980s *
    Somalia 1993
    Yugoslavia 1999-2000 *
    Ecuador 2000 *
    Afghanistan 2001 *
    Venezuela 2002 *
    Iraq 2003 *
    Haiti 2004 *
    Somalia 2007 to present
    Libya 2011*
    Syria 2012 >>

I knew it was a long list. image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
    Now we know where "comrade Bronco2078" stands. I would agree with the folly of some of the U.S. foreign policy moves on his list, but the scope of his list shows a far left bias that undermines his position.

<< <i>Now we know where "comrade Bronco2078" stands. I would agree with the folly of some of the U.S. foreign policy moves on his list, but the scope of his list shows a far left bias that undermines his position. >>

You disagree with "some"? image There has never been a good foreign policy move that I'm aware of.

here are the candidates from the last election , its possible I may have voted for the guy on the left , does it make a difference though?

Without going into the policies of nations, and speaking directly to "coin" people…. I would like to have an example (a coin), some day, of every country.
    We have changed the names of so many places over the centuries, that it would be a monumental task to approach collecting from this perspective.

<< <i>You disagree with "some"? There has never been a good foreign policy move that I'm aware of. >>

Then I suppose you would have been against fighting the Second World War against Hitler and the Japanese Tojo Government, who were two of the biggest butchers in history.

I'm always careful about using the word "never" when you are trying to make a point. It sets and very high standard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file