Home U.S. Coin Forum

1916 "Three legged" Buffalo

koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's my 1916 "3 Legged" Buffalo

http://s56.photobucket.com/upload/

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you can see-even after 12 1/2 years here I STILL have trouble posting photos. I haven't posted a photo for years and things have changed. So-my apologies-let me try again later.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i like tinypic.com

simple just browse my files...upload
    copy from 2nd line
    paste direct into text body here

easy as ...A-B-C

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to worry koynekwest....I have still not mastered posting photo's...likely never will... Cheers, RickO
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's to bad as I would LOVE to see this one, Ron.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too!
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    Give me a day or two-I'll do my best to figure it out. I'm sure it's something simple. Tom-you've seen it before-in person. How do you go about posting pics here? I might try the one Teddy recommends.
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me three.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
    An outstanding buffalo -- and just when you thought u have seen it all something like this comes along!!
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    Right you are, Tom. It knocked my socks off when I saw it for sure. BTW-Thanks to one and all who helped! Tom finally got the little light to "turn on" via the telephone ten minutes ago. I'll try my best not to forget again-I think I'll get plenty of practice as I have more pics to post!
    awesome buff here
    is this a discovery piece?

any background info...like
    ebay find?
    yard sale or fleamarket?
    coin show?

did you pay a premium for it or was it cheap?
    what type of guesstimate on market value?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Yes-the discovery piece. I got it off ebay in June, 2008 for $15. I've never seen another but a few more might be out there. The main thing about this one is, unlike the '37-D and all the 3 1/2 legged dates known which are all abraded dies, is that this one is a FILLED die.
    Teddy asked market value-I was offered $500 for it; I think it's worth more. But really-who knows? I'd rather keep it anyhow-looks nice next to my '37-D.

<< <i>Yes-the discovery piece. I got it off ebay in June, 2008 for $15. I've never seen another but a few more might be out there. The main thing about this one is, unlike the '37-D and all the 3 1/2 legged dates known which are all abraded dies, is that this one is a FILLED die. >>

coolness and thanks too as it adds to the excitement knowing a lil background

yayy
    a discovery piece
    huge congrats there ron

Cool coin. If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it either. Looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
    so i know looking at the front legs...this would be a 3 leg
    but man-o-man
    those back legs....leg in forefront looks like it has a another 1/2 to it

what a year this 1916 is...

one could buy a matte proof
    an awesome double die obverse
    then a 3 leg too

toss in a high lofty ms67
    toss in a candied colored rainbow

sweet

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! Outstanding!!!! I have never in my life seen one of these. image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    "what a year this 1916 is...

one could buy a matte proof
    an awesome double die obverse
    then a 3 leg too

toss in a high lofty ms67
    toss in a candied colored rainbow"

I have a rainbow 1916 too. Seems there are a few of this date around with knockout color. Certain dates are a little more common with high color-1913 Var 1 and Var 2, 1916, 1938-D come to mind. To add a little challenge to my date set I'm trying to assemble a rainbow toned set. I cherried a '16 MP a few years back in a 2nd tier MS64 slab-it's part of my proof Buff set-now resides in a PCGS PR65 slab.
    " I cherried a '16 MP a few years back in a 2nd tier MS64 slab-it's part of my proof Buff set-now resides in a PCGS PR65 slab."

uh...uh...whud?

you cherried a 16 matte proof from a ms slab
    wow

"YOU SUCK !!! "

post an image someday as i'd love to see...please

Let me upload it on Photobucket and I'll post an image here later.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Ron - Are you sure this is an abraided die? It looks like a clogged die.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    Is there a diagnostic to determine this is a mint-made missing leg?

I think I saw displaced metal which might indicate PMD...
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    No signs of any removal. Shows the characteristic filled die features, including the raised line you see where the filled die wasn't entirely filled. Hasn't been messed with that I can tell. At any rate it's on it's way to PCGS for slabbing-I'm quite confident it'll slab ok.

<< <i>Ron - Are you sure this is an abraided die? It looks like a clogged die. >>

Chris-It IS a filled die-I've known that since I got it. Too bad it isn't an abraded die like the '37-D-might be worth a small fortune in that case.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Teddy asked market value-I was offered $500 for it; I think it's worth more. But really-who knows? I'd rather keep it anyhow-looks nice next to my '37-D. >>

$500 seems like an extremely generous offer if it is nothing more than a filled-die error...

IMO.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    I think the location of the filled die has more to do with the possible value than the fact that it's only a filled die. As I said-I'd rather keep it-for one thing it's a nice conversation piece.

On a different note here's the 1916 proof Buff I mentioned earlier. I cherried this in 2006.
    [URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/coinquest1961/media/MYCOINS05C1916SATINPROOFOBVSLAB.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/coinquest1961/media/MYCOINS05C1916SATINPROOFOBVCU.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/coinquest1961/media/MYCOINS05C1916SATINPROOFREVCU.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/coinquest1961/media/1916proof.jpg.html]image[/URL]

<< <i>

<< <i>Ron - Are you sure this is an abraided die? It looks like a clogged die. >>

Chris-It IS a filled die-I've known that since I got it. Too bad it isn't an abraded die like the '37-D-might be worth a small fortune in that case. >>

Sorry about that Ron. I see now that you mentioned it being a filled die in an earlier post. I skipped to the image and assumed you believed this to be an abraided die.

what a gorgeous proof to of cherried !!!!
    thanks for posting that...you bet....YOU SUCK

so this was that other area that looks neat....like doubling on that back leg pointed out here

That's a die clash, Teddy.

<< <i>That's a die clash, Teddy. >>

cool then ...just adds a lil more character

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Ha I will stick with my Roosies, no 3 legged ones there.

<< <i>Ha I will stick with my Roosies, no 3 legged ones there. >>

Any with 3/4 flame?
    Speaking of 1916 buffaloes, here is my favorite, a business strike ms65. Color to cry for.

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/BgZq9BWkKGrHqYOKkIErz8eJDoBLFIoSM6dw_12.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/BgZr4wWkKGrHqMOKiUErzGbPLQBLFIoVst3w_12.jpg.html]image[/URL]

bought if off of ebay as an ms64 and got an ms65 from pcgs. It has the proof diagnostic straight line on the
    reverse at 8 oclock. Supposedly only some 1913 type two, 1914, and 1915 business strikes are supposed to have this straight line and this is the only 1916 I have ever seen with this line. (See Scott Traveras book "Coin Collectors' Survival Manual") The business strikes having this line may have been struck from left over matte proof dies.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    BUFFNIXX - That coin has the peripheral detail of a proof. LIBERTY is as strong as I've ever seen.

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Hey I really like the 3/4 flame, never would have though of that, well done!!

Actually I really like Buffalo's but they are out of my league so I will stick with the flame, maybe it can keep me warm.
    Gotta have a full flame to keep warm!

<< <i>BUFFNIXX - That coin has the peripheral detail of a proof. LIBERTY is as strong as I've ever seen. >>

Chris-not nearly a sharp enough strike for a proof-note the less than full strike at the knot and at the high point of the bison's upper front leg. Rims aren't uniformly wide and flat either-indistinct from about 2 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the obv. So not a proof IMO.
    Lets just call this MS65 business strike matte proof-like! then
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    That might be an acceptable. If a "shiny" coin can be prooflike I don't see why a coin with matte-like surfaces couldn't be matte-prooflike. You may have "coined" a new term there.
    As time goes buy more and more coins show up on ebay. There is probably no end to the varieties out there that can be cherried for next to nothing. You just have to have the knowledge and then the time and patience and persistence. A few months ago I got an ngc good-04 over date buffalo nickel that was listed as "1918-d" instead of "1918/7-d". Dealer probably never looked at the coin himself just went on what the grading service said. Just a labeling error by ngc as there was no doubt that it was an overdate. So here is an $1100 coin (by pcgs trends) that was had for $14.00. So keep looking and the next big one might just be around the corner.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    There were 11 1916 doubled die obverse nickels on ebay today!
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

<< <i>There were 11 1916 doubled die obverse nickels on ebay today! >>

Noticed that too, including some really nice ones that are far above my reach. Any speculation why so many all of a sudden?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file