Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

150 Years ago. The beginning of the "With L" Indian Cents.... Post a 1864 With L

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Civil War was in its final battles. Hood was defeated at Nashville when he broke off engaging Sherman in Atlanta and went north. Sherman used this opportunity to go south. By this time 150 years ago had destroyed much of Georgia and gave the city of Savannah to Lincoln as a Christmas gift. Grant was still laying siege to Petersburg. Sad and weary times for the South.

The Indian Cent design now sported a sharper design with the designer's initial "L" on the lower ribbon. Longacre was instructed not to change the design when the alloy changed to bronze, but he did take the opportunity to revise the design. The "With L" design would continue until 1909 with a slight modification in 1886. The "With L" dies were used alongside the leftover dies from the copper-nickel coinage.

Post a 1864 With L Indian cent.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my exonumia collection

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many examples are known of the 1864 CN cent with L? I seem to remember seeing one posted here a few years back.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the copper nickel 1864 with L, there are four that were struck as patterns and three that are off-metal errors. The question is, if they are the same metal as issued in 1864, are they really off-metal errors, like the 1943 copper cents, or should they be considered a transitional regular issue, like a 1982-D Small Date bronze cent (should one be found).
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my all time favorites!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat die cracks.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that has to be the strongest clash I've ever seen! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone will give AB a little nudge to post his 1864-L Proof, a truly remarkable specimen.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file