Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions? GTG Update - The effects of MS70 on coppper shown

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

=======================================

Updated

The coin was earlier shown by member lkeigwin as an example of the effects of MS70 on copper. He sent the coin to me and agreed to let me use it as a demonstration piece.

Here are his images:
Before:
imageimage

After:
imageimage

So I got the coin and here was my image:

My contention here is to show that the purple toning is not a factor of the MS70, but it showed up because of the way the coin was stored for somewhere around 50 years. It was likely retrieved from circulation after a year in circulation, and put into an envelope. Over the years in that envelope it acquired a deeper brown toning which is a combination of the purple tone and debris and oils that accumulated on the coin. When the oils on the surface were removed, the purple tone showed itself.

Now, the proper thing to do to a coin made naked, is to reapply the oil that was removed. Using Blue Ribbon Coin Preserver, I took a tiny drop and applied it to the coin, first just one half, then the whole coin.

Half coin with oil:

Full coin with oil:

I could go ahead and remove the oil and the purple will come back. The purple will only show up on coins that have been stored for many years in some type of envelope, just any coin from circulation will not show the color, just a an unnatural slate color, which will revert to brown with Blue Ribbon.

I would recommend that any collectors who get a purple-toned coin that looks like it was treated should apply a drop of oil to it to revert the color to chocolate brown. That is the "normal" look.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    63BN
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at CH-AU but feel these fall into AU58 holders these days image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do ya have a reverse image to see? I'll go 58. I see a bit of rub on Lincoln's cheek bone.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 RB

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

<< <i>63BN >>

+1
    BT&C
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    au55
    to much scattered nicks and stuff on the obverse for my likes

there must be a story behind this if you're posting this...just not the type of coin here i'd think you'd have interest in
    something gives here eagle-eyed one

change find?
    was color not accepted?
    could of had a spot removed in the "C" of cent too that caused a bodybag?
    hopefully not fresh out of the shanghai express press
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obverse appears to have been lightly treated with Blue Ribbon or Care - but still quite attractive - at least AU58.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I would say MS62 BN. Too many dings for a choice grade, but IMO it is not a circulated piece.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.
    Rims look MS, but there looks to be some friction rub on the obverse.
    Coin has an old oiled look.
    I like old oiled looks image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Could be a 62BR also. Reverse is hammered and shows no wear. Def seen some coin care.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obverse appears to have been lightly treated with Blue Ribbon or Care - but still quite attractive - at least AU58. >>

+1 - 58, has the look of being lacquered.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62 BN

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    AU55
  • Options
    "Can't never Could!"
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    63 bn
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 bn, 62 if I submitted.image
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 63 BN camp...
    Though 62 was my first impression.

Edited to add...
    Nice coin... Though I echo VegasTeddy her in wonderingimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 Bn Here.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    AU58 / MS62
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    AU58
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AU53. >>

+1
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first impression is MS62BN.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 58, look at the bow tie.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm out of my element here, but the coin doesn't appear UNC.

The strike and surface texture remind me of an MPL, except for the lack of hair detail.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58.

Rub on cheek, jaw, obverse rims and central right obverse field.

The reverse could pass for unc.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Whizzed
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about counterfeit ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    62BN
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63BN

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I will pass as it is difficult to grade a 19 MM coin that appears as a 10" image on my screen. I suspect though that the guesses so far have been low.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also like to know what Eagle Eye grades it. If it's not PCGS graded it could be anything from AU53-MS64.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms 61 ( had to be different here )
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else see the irony in Rick Snow asking for our opinion on copper? Anyway...I don't want to disappoint so I'll say 58, just doesn't look MS to me.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    Updated.

I would grade it AU58BN
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone else see the irony in Rick Snow asking for our opinion on copper? Anyway...I don't want to disappoint so I'll say 58, just doesn't look MS to me. >>

yeah my comment parallels yours
    ricks up to something with this one

it must of bagged or is counterfeit or something
    maybe he'll update with a picture of copper foil peeled back displaying a chocolate center with "wonka" stamped on it...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A neat and educational thread, Rick, thanks! I wonder if purified mineral oil would work as well as Blue Ribbon?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Updated.

I would grade it AU58BN >>

So this isn't a GTG it's a GWYTIWG (Guess What You Think It Would Grade).
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty cool how some people nailed it on the oil / blue ribbon and how some knew something was up.

Great thread.
  • Options
    one should note here
    isn't the pcgs "coin sniffer" is set up to detect these products and reject coins accordingly

if such is the case
    pcgs would give this a "no grade" genuine only assessment

would they catch such 100% of the time...probably not
    but i believe they look for such

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the sniffer would reject Blue Ribbon or the pops on early copper would be dramatically lower.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

A GTG with the image above image prior to oiling with "Care" would have been fun! imageimage

It's amazing how many cents with this post blue ribbon look make it into plastic.

Every collector should buy some of the chemicals available to experiment on common copper/silver just to own a enhanced (doctored) set for learning & reference.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obverse appears to have been lightly treated with Blue Ribbon or Care - but still quite attractive - at least AU58. >>

<< <i>one should note here
    isn't the pcgs "coin sniffer" is set up to detect these products and reject coins accordingly
    if such is the case pcgs would give this a "no grade" genuine only assessment
    would they catch such 100% of the time...probably not
    but i believe they look for such.

I doubt the sniffer would reject Blue Ribbon or the pops on early copper would be dramatically lower. >>

Don't they only 'sniff' upon request? My feeling is that if checked for it would probably detect it - unless it were applied a very long time ago.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    "Don't they only 'sniff' upon request? My feeling is that if checked for it would probably detect it - unless it were applied a very long time ago."

surely a submitter of doctored coins isn't going to request sniffer service to be included...image

and yes i consider this coin doctoring...that's the crowd i'm in...no need to debate or try to "doctor my opinion"
    while others may not think such...peace be with them i say

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file