Home U.S. Coin Forum

Which coin do you prefer...why? (1869 10C)

Hi, both of these are PCGS AU50 slabbed. I've been searching for this coin for a while (only Pop 47 total at PCGS so given crack-outs I assume less than 40 remain). E.g. beggers can't be choosers image

I wound up wining both of these at recent auctions (about 2 weeks apart). Which one do you prefer, and why? Curious as to your thoughts.

PS. I know some of you will say I don't prefer either, and that's fair, given that both coins have their issues, but one of these is going to have to be a placeholder in my set for a while so curious as to which one you would keep (even if temporarily).

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like crusty. image

BTW nicely presented. imageimage
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one. The cleaning is less offensive.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top in a heartbeat image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the Capt.

nice photos!
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a pop of 2 and you own both. I think that's awesome. I do like the top one better, because it has better eye appeal in my opinion.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bright one. The other disgustingly filthy one would be more like I would buy, but if other people buy them, I won't find as many. image
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

The crusty #1 image
  • rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    No brainier-#1
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go with the top one. It is not exactly "crusty," but it does have some re-toning that makes it look "more original."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely the first one. The second is just so bland.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one...mainly because I do not like the 'damage' by her right calf...Cheers, RickO
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the first one. I seem to be echoing the majority here . . .

Drunner
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one for all the reasons already given.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    This one has a slightly more original look to it.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like either one of them and would pass on both. The first one is obviously cleaned and partially retoned while the second one has too many circulation marks for the grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Top in a heartbeat image >>

+1
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bottom one,,,,,, the top one is "Too Dirty" for my taste,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I like them both for their own unique characteristics, but I guess I'd prefer the top one because Miss Liberty is floating on a sea of toned silver, though for some reason her face looks angry.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

bottom one has a hit,strike through or something above the date in her dress
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    top, no question
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one is less "messed with" than the bottom one.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one certainly has more detail left (struck better I presume) and would be my choice.

I understand that finding certain coins can be tough but I would have passed on either one of these examples.

I see that you will just have one as a placeholder until a better (or more natural) one comes along and I can
    certainly understand that thinking.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the top one better. They both seem to be R6 die marriages according to seateddimevarieites.com (F-101 and F-104a)
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    The top one is more original, both are tougher coins than most realize.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take door #1.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll buck the trend and go with door #2 even though I like neither one of them.

The toning on the first coin might be 2ndary or tertiary toning following repeated "processing." While the 2nd one is not toned at all (it was just processed more recently) I think it has more meat in the luster and field surface luster. The first coin's luster looks weaker or more hazy in the photo. The only way I can judge these coins is by the originality of the luster....not be the toning which can be deceiving. I feel coin #2 has more luster and it appears closer to the original state than coin #1. If coin #2 costs me less money....even better. In looking at the photos very closely the 2nd coin does show some faint signs of original deep toning. The first coin shows no signs of that toning in the centers. I think someone really scrubbed the heck out of it to remove every trace of it. Another reason I prefer #2....maybe it was just dipped more times...and scrubbed less. Then again, maybe I'm just seeing things.

I was searching for 1869 dimes back in the 1970's as most price guides had the date as common...or at least much more common than the 1863-1868 Philly coins. In fact, it's deceptively close to those guys. It's not exactly rare or anything as there are ample coins out in the market....probably a couple to several hundred business strikes, most of them in the higher circ grades and unc. I think the pop reports are a little skewed to the low side on dates like this because there is no great incentive to submit every one of them like the much more expensive 1864-1867 Philly dates. For the same reasoning the rare CC mints look to be more "common" than they really are because nearly every gradable coin is being sent in. That's not the case for the 1869-P where the majority of gradable coins are still sitting raw with collectors.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Gang, thanks a million for your feedback. I am not surprised, on the one hand, but also on the other hand the insight was helpful..

roadrunner, i'd love to see some of those hundreds of samples you say are out there and get at least one nice MS62-64 slabbed image Let me know if you guys see even any raw ones out there because I haven't. I also really like your analysis. It's as if you read my mind and summarized it...

With coin number #1 (toned), is it's immediately eye appealing in hand (remember, these photos enlarge something that is actually fairly small in real life) and that sets the frame of reference...while in reality, it definitely has more wear and has been dipped more thoroughly albeit some time ago. So the immediate eye appeal glosses over some of the other issues.

With coin number 2, it was most likely a dark crusty toned coin until very recently, and was dipped. The toning had eaten away some of the metal so it looks less bright but if you look closely you actually still see remaining luster peeking through. It has significantly more detail and is a "meatier" coin in hand, don't know how else to describe it. However, it lacks the immediate eye appeal to cover someone's need to dip an old crusty coin. The fact is the 2nd coin will re-tone again, I have no doubt, and when it does it will be a nicer coin than the first coin, I am certain. I probably won't own it that long but I think it will get some color back.

I laughed to myself and said the 2nd coin is like an AU53 that got dinged a grading tier for it's sins, while the 1st coin is like an XF45 that looks pretty in hand so it got the gift of the next higher grade. This thinking is probably not true but at least how I rationalize it.

The truth of the matter is that I'm blessed to be able to look at 2 examples side by side, which I've tried to do on several coins in my set to keep the better one, so I can't complain. When only looking at one example, the decision making process is not as good as looking at several. And yes, I'll keep looking for the ultimate keeper for my set, but for now I'm happy to just have an example for my set given such low PCGS pops.

Thanks,

/mdg.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mercurydimeguy,

I'll keep an eye out for an 1869 dime. Even though there are hundreds out there, they are well scattered with at least half of them damaged or cleaned to some extent. And the reason I say hundreds is that I compared all seated coins in all denominations over a several year period against each other years ago - before pop reports. So I have a fair idea of the surviving #'s of many dates. And while I didn't track the 1869 dime quite as long as say an 1866-s quarter, the ratio's between them are intact. The tougher S mint quarters of the 1860-s to 1872-s period tend to have 125-175 pieces extant imo. Something like an 1869 dime should be around 2X-3X that number. And with a sizable mintage of 256,000 (vs. 20,000 to 96,000 for S mint quarters) you wouldn't expect otherwise, especially since the Philly coins typically have higher survival rates than the S mints of that period.

Your thoughts on those 2 dimes exactly mirror mine right down to the 53 vs. 50 comment. I don't feel the toning on the first one is either attractive or crusty...and I'm a big fan of fully original and well-toned seated coins. That leftover toning ring on coin #1 screams out at me.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the top one, it does not look like it was messed with.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't like crusty? But I draw the line on excessively dark, or black crust that often carries with it light surface corrosion.

If the top coin doesn't suffer from that then I'd probably choose it over the bottom one. If it does, then I'd choose the untoned one. The finer detail is a plus and I think it will hold up better over time.

I also agree with roadrunner's thoughts with regard to cleaning, luster and meat.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file