Home U.S. Coin Forum

2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set (TA9)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yawn. Someone tell me why this set exists... Maybe to show the new fullfillment company how to handle FRN notes?

American $1 Coin and Currency Set

2014 Sacabuck and a 2013 $1 FRN. There's no mention that there's anything special about either the coin or the note. At least they could have put a $2 FRN in it, Jefferson at least had a connection to the Lewis and Clark expedition. (Like, it was his idea...)

Will be released Nov 20. (In two days.)
Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: None
No pricing info yet.

Since I'm a big Lewis and Clark fan, I'm in for one, if it's not more than $15. (Should be like $9.95, I would think.)

Also on the schedule now:
Coin Discovery Set - An Introduction to Coin Collecting, December 16.
2014 Coin and Chronicles Set - Franklin D. Roosevelt, December 22.

Maybe I'll wait to see if the FDR set is worthwhile, before spending the $4.95 for shipping for the C&C set...

Comments

• jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Any chance that this could be a special strike or finish sacagacrapa?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any chance that this could be a special strike or finish sacagacrapa? >>

No mention of anything special about either item. (Oh, the brass buck is a Denver product.) It's like the 2000 C&C set, only with a current Sac (with no special finish) and a year old FRN (without any special serial number) and no ASE...

Well, maybe they just haven't published that info yet. They'll have to say something if it goes on sale in two days.

(Edited to add: Are the 2000 C&C sets really going for $100+? I have a bunch of those things around someplace...)
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we make it, they will come.

Perhaps utter market rejection of them will change their mind?

price? An insane $13.95

The finish is Unc. - which means it'll be beat.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The set I like is the "2001 AMERICAN BUFFALO COIN AND CURRENCY SET". That was nice.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's like the 2000 C&C set, only with a current Sac (with no special finish) and a year old FRN (without any special serial number) and no ASE... >>

Many of the 2000-D Sacs in the C&C sets had prooflike finishes that could be readily distinguished from circulation strikes, although they weren't advertised as such. It will be interesting to see whether that's the case here.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If collectors didn't buy them the mint wouldn't continue to make them.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    We can buy them, submit the coin, spend the dollar and throw the cardboard away image
  • Actually there is something special about the SAC. Don't read the web site info but read the actual packaging! The clue is right there!
  • "2014 Native American $1 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin" -- So a special finish.

<< <i>Actually there is something special about the SAC. Don't read the web site info but read the actual packaging! The clue is right there! >>

"Enhanced Uncirculated Coin". Will it be different enough from the circulation-strike coins to merit a separate TPG label? Satin finish, perhaps?

• Good question! It's the same wording as one of the Kennedy halves in the silver set just released a few weeks back. So maybe it's a satin or even semi proof like finish. The marketers at the website missed that small detail in the description.
    Product Limit: 50,000
    Household Order Limit: None
    $13.95

hmmm . . .

The 2000-D Millennium Set Sacs had a mintage of 75,000 and TPG examples are selling for around $15, or less than the cost of grading.

This one will have two-thirds the mintage of the Millennium Set and might have a chance at a higher price if it catches on with collectors. At $13 per coin (after spending the accompanying dollar bill) it could be worthwhile to put away a few sets.

Edited to add: If the enhanced Sac gets its own TPG label, will it be eligible for First Strike consideration?

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    <yawn> is correct. Personally, I think if they only sold 1,000 of these, that 20 years from now, they still sell for a loss.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we need to make our currency out of plastic with a clear window in it that has a small replica of the main portrait and a hologram.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for 10 or 20 i'll keep them in the box and put them up..... image

Hoard the keys.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I might buy one even though the price is ridiculous.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Do either of the special sets mentioned come with a small sheet of bubble gum? If they do then they might sell.

If not then fogetaboutit. image
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"2014 Native American $1 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin" -- So a special finish. >>

I could not find that anywhere. Please direct me....

I read the package description on the Mint site and it does not say the above.....

<< <i>

<< <i>"2014 Native American $1 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin" -- So a special finish. >>

I could not find that anywhere. Please direct me....

I read the package description on the Mint site and it does not say the above..... >>

It's on the packaging for the set. It's visible on the mints web image of the package.
    I see it now...under "Certificate of Authenticity" on the main page pic. I was looking at the 3 pics supplied under that image...

Thanks....

This could be interesting....from Ho hum to hmmmmmmmmm

<< <i>I see it now...under "Certificate of Authenticity" on the main page pic. I was looking at the 3 pics supplied under that image...

Thanks....

This could be interesting....from Ho hum to hmmmmmmmmm >>

hmmmmmmmmm, indeed. There's no one that is even mentioning anything special about the Sac, not even the mint. (Their press release states it's just an uncirc from Denver.)

NGC has already published there will be a special label, but the D-Sac will not get an early release label, so NGC isn't expecting anything unusual, either.

Okay, maybe I'll speculate and get two sets... image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is right about $2 Jefferson.

At this price it'll make a nice stocking stuffer for the kids.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We can buy them, submit the coin, spend the dollar and throw the cardboard away image >>

GASP! Haven't you heard of recycling?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Are there a lot of sac collectors? Seems like the P and D sac rolls always sell out. They would need this enhanced coin from this special set. My guess is about 15K sets will sell.
    Gotta love the new mint site. In and out in less than 20 seconds, confirmation received by 12:01....

USM02719xxx in case anyone is keeping score...
    So no big deal about an unique finish SAC with a very limited mintage? image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking a chance that there is a distinguishable and unique finish & ordered.

I'll be somewhat displeased if it's just a beat dollar from Denver.

I agree they should have found any series $2 to put in there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>So no big deal about an unique finish SAC with a very limited mintage? image >>

Depends on how unique the finish is, we'll see when the sets actually arrive. Stay tuned . . .

<< <i>

<< <i>So no big deal about an unique finish SAC with a very limited mintage? image >>

Depends on how unique the finish is, we'll see when the sets actually arrive. Stay tuned . . . >>

I take "Enhanced Uncirculated" to mean the same as the Kennedy "Enhanced Uncirculated" which is quite a bit different than the normal UNC

<< <i>

<< <i>

Depends on how unique the finish is, we'll see when the sets actually arrive. Stay tuned . . . >>

I take "Enhanced Uncirculated" to mean the same as the Kennedy "Enhanced Uncirculated" which is quite a bit different than the normal UNC >>

I downloaded all the pics the Mint site had and "enhanced" them. The specs and description shown on the packaging make no mention of a special finish, and the pic of the Sacabuc could be a bit more pebbled than a normal uncirc, but it's really hard to tell from the low resolution image.

My order status is already in "processing" and my CC has already been pinged, so I think we'll know in a couple of days. Not from me, they sent my stuff Smartpost again, so I won't get it for a week. But someone else should get theirs...
    As was pointed out earlier in this post the "Enhanced Uncirculated" description is indicated on the Mint packaging. It is on the main pic NOT the three below that...under COA

<< <i>As was pointed out earlier in this post the "Enhanced Uncirculated" description is indicated on the Mint packaging. It is on the main pic NOT the three below that...under COA >>

I know that.

However, the previous two EU coins issued (the 2013 WP ASE and the 2014 S Kennedy) both state in the description and specs that it has an "enhanced" finish. Those words don't exist on the COA's in the mint's pics, only on that "title" bar.

The mint didn't announce the burnished (Goodacre) finish on the 2000 C&C set, either, so I'm on the fence whether these Sacs will be different...
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm taking a chance that there is a distinguishable and unique finish & ordered.

I'll be somewhat displeased if it's just a beat dollar from Denver. >>

I did as well. image
  • It's Official! Mint web site updated adding "Enhanced Uncirculated" to "Specifications".
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint site revised the set's description today to say:

-Distinctive pairing of an enhanced uncirculated 2014 Native American $1 Coin and 2013 series $1 Note

-Honors Native American hospitality that ensured the success of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

Looks like the Mint made the correction for a reason -- and I put my $ down for a few.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should of keept it under are hat's so we can get them with the wrong cert as well hope they dont fix my 30. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Now if the BEP printed these 50,000 notes with a different "Suffix" letter that would top this set off in a big way. We will have to wait until we get our orders in. They have done this with the various $2 bill offerings. The base S/N is J 99999999 A. So if they print these with a "B" or "C" or "D" suffix etc. it would be a bonus. Not saying they will though.

<< <i>Gotta love the new mint site. In and out in less than 20 seconds, confirmation received by 12:01....

USM02719xxx in case anyone is keeping score... >>

Just placed another order, USM02724xxx.

So some 4500 orders were placed in the past 14 hours.

Will this set actually sell out now that the mint has confirmed the Sac is an EU? image

<< <i>Now if the BEP printed these 50,000 notes with a different "Suffix" letter that would top this set off in a big way. We will have to wait until we get our orders in. They have done this with the various $2 bill offerings. The base S/N is J 99999999 A. So if they print these with a "B" or "C" or "D" suffix etc. it would be a bonus. Not saying they will though. >>

The last C&C set, they left the serial number visible, so you could see the bank and the series.

I noticed this time, they conveniently covered the serial number.

It will be interesting if the BEP supplied some special notes for this set. I just did a search on moneyfactory, and there's no mention of this set at all...
    As I said....Ho Hum to Hmmmmmmm

These won't last long....and it's not like they cost a great deal
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's kids will tear into them to buy a candy bar. Just like it always was. Hide them good or treat them as those perfect "stocking stuffers".
    After they're spent, won't they look like all the other dollars ?

P.S. I will remain a proponent of "collecting what you like". You can't go wrong when you're right.
    I guess someone can corner the market for $650,000 for all 50K. I bought two.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I bought two also on the strength of this thread and the 411 delivered.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    Ummmm I bought more than two image

<< <i>Actually there is something special about the SAC. Don't read the web site info but read the actual packaging! The clue is right there! >>

Thank you Gopher for the heads up image
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    appears to be worth the gamble
    Anyone else's loot ship yet?

Mint got them on the truck pretty darn quick.
  • CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Mine have shipped too...less than 24 hours from ordering.
  • spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    I've got a few on the way.
    I didn't order enough for the UPS shipping. Mine shipped via "smart"post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file