Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Rate the originality of this Bust Half 1-10

Please vote, with 10 being the most original.

Comments

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    its either original or it's not...
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>its either original or it's not... >>

Yeah, pretty much this
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    I like it...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it has a market acceptable look about it

did someone mess with it in the past and carry it as a pocket piece for a year or 2 to cover his tracks
    who knows

i like the looks

gave her a 7 as different hues or shades always make me a lil suspect
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not nuts about it being darker near the rims either. That white spot (about 5:00) on the rim looks like cleaning.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Looks to have had a soap bath or mineral oil rub down. Where is all the gunk? Look at junk box/drawer coins if you want to learn what unmolested looks like
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks to have had a soap bath or mineral oil rub down. Where is all the gunk? Look at junk box/drawer coins if you want to learn what unmolested looks like >>

The reverse is no doubt no good.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show me a 200 year old silver coin that is not black and I'll show you one that's been cleaned.

Exaggeration? Maybe a little.
    Lance.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    The wipe on the reverse is the problem...........3...............
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's OK at best to me. Not totally original at all.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need for the latex gloves with that one....might even "get" a bit more original handling it some image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree with that, and voted 7

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough crowd!

I like the coin and think it's reasonably original.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Show me a 200 year old silver coin that is not black and I'll show you one that's been cleaned.

Shall we post images of TDN's Early Dollars to illustrate your point? image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Show me a 200 year old silver coin that is not black and I'll show you one that's been cleaned.

Shall we post images of TDN's Early Dollars to illustrate your point? image >>

He probably should have said "200 year old circulated silver coin". image
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Of course there are different levels of originality. Especially considering that none of us knows exactly where a coin has been, or knows for certain how it's been stored or what's been done to it. A 100-year-old light cleaning is different from last week's thorough polishing.

There are a lot less original coins out there than that one. However, there are coins with a lot more originality, too. I'm in the middle of the pack on it.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe anyone voted 9 or 10
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I give it a 4.

I see it as not original but it could be worse so it's the high end of the not originals. image
    Ed
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5, Plus or minus 1 (the circle of fifths)

Yeah yeah…. THIS EYE can't be on the fence, though I am.

Every picture tells a story. It's authentic. It's got some originality. It's been used, abused, dropped, and spent. Rubbed, retoned, loved and hated. It's been through many a hand and for some it was work, for others it was food. Some saw it as folly and some hold it in high esteem. I'd suspect the majority of us responding are of the crowd that cares most likely. After all, we responded in that we take it seriously.
    Some of it's originality was never removed.

Since there are 2 sides to this, we may as well see it with both eyes open.
    The reverse shows serious signs of the loss of originality in the fields. Don't ask me why I think this. These are MY EYES viewing it and my brain reacting to that " vision in my brain. It still remains within __ ________ __ _________.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yeah, pretty much this >>

I generally agree. It is like asking if someone has had plastic surgery, it is a yes or no question.

I also recognize that original may mean different things to different people. I've seen a lot of old CBHs that have not been tampered with aside from an old X scratch into the surface probably 175-200 years ago because the merchant didn't want to be cheated with a fake or the customer didn't want to be cheated in the change received. A lot of those have retoned nicely and have an appealing, original look, if you can get past the X. PCGS has graded a bunch of those too, but that is a different matter altogether.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have figured 4,5, and 6 would be the most selected grades. Original bust coins are quite scarce. So probably 90% of what's out there today would be a 7 or less. Coins ranking 8, 9, and 10 are not often run across. I'd almost call those premium quality. This doesn't change the fact that coins in the 3-6 range can't be perfectly acceptable to most collectors (and market acceptable to the TPG's). Looks like I was on the higher side of the poll with a 5. My first thought was 6 but then figured everyone would assault that wiped reverse. If this coin is a 1, then that would probably put 30-50% of all bust coins in the 0 (uncollectible) category. Agree.....tough crowd today.

The 10 point spread is just like what PCGS uses for MS high end (9,8,7), average (4,5,6), low end (1,2,3). I don't see any problem with this coin being average or typical for the year compared to extant coinage.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine.
    Vplite99
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Genuine. >>

net grade ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is okay, and for something like this, it is "reasonably original." If a coin like this had been left completely alone though out its existence, chances are it would now be as black as a piece and coal. No one would want it, not even those who are totally obsessed with original surfaces.

This is why I get so irritated by those who want every coin that has ever had anything done to it declared "cleaned" and therefore marked as a less desirable coin. Many of the people who advocate this can't tell the difference between original surfaces and surfaces that have re-toned. In fact in many cases the experts can't tell the difference.

If you want coins that totally original, then buy them. If others want coins that have been conserved to a level of market acceptability, then they should be able to enjoy them. The originality crowd should not be allowed to dump in other people's spaces.

For the record, I voted "4." The reverse has an obviously conserved look.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burnished.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "original" for a circulated coin? Can anyone say when this coin would have been pulled from circulation, and for what reason? It certainly circulated for 20+ years to develop the wear it exhibits, but when and why was it removed from circulation? From there it was passed on through the generations, and each generation probably took a stab at cleaning it up a bit. Perhaps in the last 50-75 years it was not cleaned, and developed a decent patina. Isn't this pretty much the norm for a coin like this?
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Burnished. >>

"Burnished" means polished to make the item shiny. That coin has not been burnished.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Show me a 200 year old silver coin that is not black and I'll show you one that's been cleaned.

Exaggeration? Maybe a little.
    Lance. >>

Right and wrong. Coins that have been stored in a metal container will not tone very much if at all. Like silver ship wreck coins that were touching a cannon, or this

This penny is as un-oxidized as the day it was minted, and I often carry this around in my pocket. I remember a Sheridan auction from some years ago with 3 busties that were recovered from a safe that had not been opened for 150 years and they definitely were not very toned (Mike King bought them then sold them way back when).
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I gave it a 3, as it is original in terms of not being fake, but it has had a few too many hands on it in the past. Doesn't mean its a bad coin, just means that it has had a hard life.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    I think many people are missing something with respect to toning (and "dirt") on circulated coins. As a coin circulates, it picks up toning and/or all kinds of crud/dirt. However, in the normal process of circulation it also loses some of the same, as the surfaces of the coin are slowly stripped down through wear. This, of course, is how "circulated cameos" come to be. The high points of a dirty, toned, circulated coins, are the first to wear further.

The point is that when you see a circulated coin that has some lighter areas, you cannot assume that it has been cleaned. It may be perfectly "original", in the normal sense of the word.

And FWIW, I voted "8".
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tough crowd!

I like the coin and think it's reasonably original. >>

+1

Nice old coin. I'm a 7 on this one.

Tom

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for this very exact coin actually ( at the right price..), to pop into an album of G-VF busties....it looks ok in the large pics and probably looks way better in hand/album.

Is this one closer to the "original " look we're talking about ? Don't ask me...for all I know this coin may have been stripped white 40 years back and now looks it's 200+ years image

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Burnished. >>

"Burnished" means polished to make the item shiny. That coin has not been burnished. >>

I disagree with your definition of burnished. To me a coin is burnished when it has been rubbed with a cloth to remove tarnish on the raised surfaces of the coin, thus giving it a 3-D effect. Burnishing, by this definition, does not necessarily result in a "polished" look. This coin has not been taken to the level of appearing "polished".
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bur·nish
    ˈbərniSH/
    verb
    past tense: burnished; past participle: burnished

polish (something, especially metal) by rubbing.
    "highly burnished armor"
    synonyms: polish, shine, buff, rub, gloss
    "marks can be removed by burnishing the metal"
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Burnished. >>

"Burnished" means polished to make the item shiny. That coin has not been burnished. >>

I disagree with your definition of burnished. To me a coin is burnished when it has been rubbed with a cloth to remove tarnish on the raised surfaces of the coin, thus giving it a 3-D effect. Burnishing, by this definition, does not necessarily result in a "polished" look. This coin has not been taken to the level of appearing "polished". >>

It's not "his" definition it's the definition...

OP's coin has not been burnished.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Burnished. >>

I disagree with your definition of burnished. To me a coin is burnished when it has been rubbed with a cloth to remove tarnish on the raised surfaces of the coin, thus giving it a 3-D effect. Burnishing, by this definition, does not necessarily result in a "polished" look. This coin has not been taken to the level of appearing "polished". >>

It's not "his" definition it's the definition...

OP's coin has not been burnished. >>

Think what you wish.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...............and I can't believe I'm with 291fifth on this one. why do the "Burnished" ASE's look Matte-like in appearance instead of PL since the planchets are polished??
  • Options
    The obverse surfaces do not seem to match the reverse surfaces.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this like being kind of pregnant?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this like being kind of pregnant? >>

No, IMO it is Nothing like that kind of binary determination, particularly for a heavily circulated coin, as Andy astutely points out. There are a lot of looks of a VG coin that are perfectly "original".

I think a lot of what folks are seeing on the reverse is reflected light, rather than overt surface alteration.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish i was better with coins such as this. im learning best i can
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Original?

Dunno.

Acceptable?

Definitely, to me.

I voted "8", not that that means anything.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file