Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

People who are handing out candy tonight.

is anyone going to be dropping in coins with the candy? i have a small stack of barber quarters, SLQs, barber dimes, mercury dimes,buffalo nickels v nickels and one indian head cent . i will drop them in randomly as kids come to the door.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>is anyone going to be dropping in coins with the candy? i have a small stack of barber quarters, SLQs, barber dimes, mercury dimes,buffalo nickels v nickels and one indian head cent . i will drop them in randomly as kids come to the door. >>

Nice gesture. Hope the random kids appreciate them. Probably not as much as a Bluto bar though.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have this discussion every year. I don't think it's a good idea to let every teenager in my neighborhood (and possibly their older sibling who needs money to feed their drug addiction) know that I'm a coin collector. Security is important to me but maybe not so much to you. Go ahead and call me paranoid---a few do so every year when we have this discussion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Go ahead and call me paranoid---a few do so every year when we have this discussion. >>

Good points, PH. We all have our comfort level and all it takes is one punk to ruin your day.

If giving out coins, maybe state quarters would be less revealing.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> Go ahead and call me paranoid---a few do so every year when we have this discussion. >>

Good points, PH. We all have our comfort level and all it takes is one punk to ruin your day.

If giving out coins, maybe state quarters would be less revealing. >>

If the coins are not in holders the kids will think you're giving out pocket change because you ran out of candy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be serving margaritas and bottled water to adults, and candy to kids.
    I couldn't even get any nieces, nephews, or cousins interested in coins, after giving away many over the years.
    But good luck to the OP though, maybe one future numismatist will come from his generosity.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    i am not going to let the kids see me put it in with the candy. we have at most 100 kids come to the door in the 3 hours that kids are out and i have yet to run out of candy. i will not do it to every kid i may do it to 1 kid then wait 4 kids then do it again. i will not give them all out tonigh and i know that.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I havent had a trick or treater in years.My alaskan husky passed away and will not be tied to the front porch this year so perhaps I should consider picking up some treats
  • Options
    here is how i am planning on doing it. if i have a piece of candy with my thumb on the back of the candy and in between my thumb and the candy is a coin how is the kid going to see the coin. i figure this way they wont find the coin until their parents dump the candy out to look through it which i am ok with.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You bet I am!!!! I have so many dateless Buffs I will be handing them out to EVERY trick-or-treater that comes to my house tonight. I'll even pass out some uncirculated 36 & 37 Buffs I have so many of. The thing is, I very rarely get any trick-or-treaters here at my place. Oh well.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No coins, but I will be giving some kids packets of wasabi and a dare along with their Snickers.
  • Options
    The kids in my neighborhood are rat bastiges, and we don't like them/they stay away from the house, so, no candy for them!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The kids in my neighborhood are rat bastiges, and we don't like them/they stay away from the house, so, no candy for them!!! >>

I know who has two thumbs and is get his house toilet papered tonight. That guy
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Gold foil chocolate coins! image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    well i managed to give out quite a few barber quarters, mercury dimes,barber dimes, only managed one Slq. a few v nickels and a few buffalo nickels. no one knew that i gave them any coins except for a kid with a plastic pumpkin bucket and i am ok with it.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    You're brave! We had around 80 trick or treaters and I prefer they come and go quickly and in an orderly fashion. image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh, NICKELS...... I thought someone said we should hand out pickles. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I got some SGS PF70 Bicentennials with another purchase. I should put them in a Hershey wrapper and dump them on some poor unsuspecting brat. image
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll GLADLY take any extra coins you couldn't give out tonight!! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    132 trick/treaters.....just candy.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I havent had a trick or treater in years.My alaskan husky passed away and will not be tied to the front porch this year so perhaps I should consider picking up some treats >>

my neighbor remembered to bring in their dobermans this year
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I havent had a trick or treater in years.My alaskan husky passed away and will not be tied to the front porch this year so perhaps I should consider picking up some treats >>

Sorry for your loss, chumley. I'm with you. I have only a couple trick-or-treaters every year. Plenty of kids in our neighborhood - a lot, actually - but they don't walk down our street. Last night I was shocked to have eight kids approach our door. They were all drive-bys ... kids from other neighborhoods whose parents drove them to ours (ours is safer) ... kids hopped out because our lights were on, came knocking, then hopped back into the car. We get a few of them every year. Eight may be a record for the past seven years in this neighborhood.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file