Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stack's Baltimore auction monster Morgan toners...

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went for monster prices, was blown way out of the water:

1885-O PCGS MS-66+

1879-S NGC MS-66+*

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    prices on moose toners with grade compliment...YUP

that 85-o is so amazing....can you imagine the person who opened up that bag and saw it 1st
    special coin there
    good to see it being loved
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are both head scratchers to me. They must really jump in hand.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the 79-S.

Although the 85-O is an eye-catcher, I don't like dark-purple, borderline-terminal toning.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭
    I looked at several of the toners, and i would have to say the 85-o has far better luster which made the coin pop vs. The 79-s. I also considered the 79-s overgraded by at least half a point...not that it matters.
  • Options

<< <i>I looked at several of the toners, and i would have to say the 85-o has far better luster which made the coin pop vs. The 79-s. I also considered the 79-s overgraded by at least half a point...not that it matters. >>

Many thanks to Andrew for looking at these for me! Never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes. The 79-s looked impressive in the photo, but that dull toning streak and reverse fingerprints decreased its appeal to me. I don't mind terminal purple toning if it isn't dull. Either way these went for big bucks.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both really nice Toners. Market seems to be strong for the high end stuff.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins went for very strong prices... The consigner did very well and congrats... For me to like them at those prices both coins would have had to have had less issues... None the less the new owners will have some very cool Morgans...

ABimage
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, those must include a complimentary pair of sunglasses...I can only imagine what they would like in hand.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone post pictures of these two coins. For some reason if I click on links they do not open and kick me off the thread. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Neat coins and gives me some hope for my morgan in the imaging thread when I cross it. That is some big money for those and If they were posted raw on this board I am sure they would get a good # of AT complaints, but I like them.
  • Options
    Here are the coins. The reverses are mostly white, but the 79-S has some fingerprints too.

• Options
    Dangit double post!
  • Options
    Triple??? Sheesh!
  • Options
    Not sure what happened, those coins aren't worth posting 4 time!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it remarkable, the number of common-date Morgans with vivid obverse toning that just happened to rest for so long against the bag or roll that the bands of color bisect the coin and help cover what marks there are on the cheek? Such wonderful coins, you'd think, would be well known and seen many times before, but no, they just appear in auctions in new holders, with no prior history, certainly not any provenance dating backyears and years since their accidental "discovery" in a mint bag or roll.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it remarkable, the number of common-date Morgans with vivid obverse toning that just happened to rest for so long against the bag or roll that the bands of color bisect the coin and help cover what marks there are on the cheek? Such wonderful coins, you'd think, would be well known and seen many times before, but no, they just appear in auctions in new holders, with no prior history, certainly not any provenance dating backyears and years since their accidental "discovery" in a mint bag or roll. >>

It's remarkable the eye-rolling amount of conjecture you crammed into your post.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Went for monster prices, was blown way out of the water:

1885-O PCGS MS-66+

1879-S NGC MS-66+* >>

VERY healthy prices, even for monster color in those grades. The textile patterns clearly brought out some aggressive bids.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the pictures. What were the final prices?
  • Options
    Prices include the juice.

For the 85-O: Price Realized: $8,812.50
    For the 79-S: Price Realized: $12,337.50

• Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Many auctions contain multiple Morgan toners, especially the recent Legend sale of the Sunnywood-Simpson Collection.

PCGS graded MS-65, Eliasberg 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollar for $646,250 at auction in Las Vegas

In terms of collecting strategies and the history of coin collecting, the most substantial consignment to the recent Stack's-Bowers auction in Baltimore was the "1853 Collection." Those items are more interesting and/or historically important than most collectors realize.

I had forgotten just how important the addition of arrows in 1853 really was! The debates about bimetallism and the monetary history of the U.S. are fascinating, IMO.

Historically Important & Likely Finest, PCGS graded MS-66 1853 Silver Dollar

A Softly Spoken Great Rarity: 1853-O ‘No Arrows’ Liberty Seated Half Dollar

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file