Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade Revealed -- POLL: 1876-S Trade Dollar -- Post Comments & Eye Appeal Observations

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Welcome to this latest episode of the grading reality show Guess the Grade. image -- Brought back by popular demand, and because I thought it would be fun. image

I invite you to guess the grade of this 1876-S Trade Dollar by voting in the poll, and also encourage you to please post your grading criteria, comments and eye appeal observations to keep this thread both lively and active. image

1876-S Trade Dollar - Blue & Brown Dual-Sided Toner - (Type 1 Obverse & Reverse)
imageimage

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    AU55 Details, but has Chop so it's Details in NGC holder (PCGS would put into graded holder with Chop Mark designation).

Has some rub, and toned nicely...
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au55 with nice toning
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say AU-55
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-55 details, mutilated.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent eye appeal to me. AU58. Wonderful dollar that I would own in a heartbeat!

Thanks for posting.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    au58/61 on this one

coin could have PVC issues on obv...that green stuff scares me
    look into that

hopefully others chime in on that type of "green" on coins
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only guesstimate AU58-MS62 since luster is so hard to judge on toned coins. Terrific eye appeal and nice strike. Like the subtle chopmark, badge of transoceanic honor.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>coin could have PVC issues on obv...that green stuff scares me
    look into that

hopefully others chime in on that type of "green" on coins >>

There's no PVC growth as that green is patina image

Edited to add: I'm normally not fond of chop marked T$1's, but on this attractive example it's so well concealed image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 58, because it appears to have several surface abraisions. I think it looks like a very nice coin though. I like it.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF45 damaged.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with AU55. Chopped unfortunately.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>XF45 damaged. >>

Please offer me all of you XF coins.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with my first impression was was 58.
    Added a plus for eye appeal.
    Nice skin!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i must be losing my mind as that looks like textbook "PVC" especially by the date

no ill intent here stuart...not bashing you or this coin

so sorry stuart.... if i am off the mark here

i never even knew about it till i rolled in these boards
    it is a serious concern...enough that i thought i'd toss it out here

just something about that bluish green color on the obverse
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    au 50. i dont like that mark on her arm. jmo
  • Options

<< <i>AU55 Details, but has Chop so it's Details in NGC holder (PCGS would put into graded holder with Chop Mark designation).

Has some rub, and toned nicely... >>

• Options
    We're now up to 50 votes. image

Thanks to all who have participated in the voting and also for your excellent observations and comments. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Chop-marked 58
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Stuart, what is the grade on the trade????
  • Options
    Any more guesses before I post the answer, when this thread gets lost in the oblivion of page 2 or 3? image

Stuart

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    I guessed 58+ because that's the only + you listed in your poll and your coin definitely has + appeal.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holder says AU details.....I say 55 or 61, take your pick, not 58 though image

Really like it by the way !
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I hit 65 on my phone on accident... whoops. I think the coin is an AU, but I don't like the color on it. I say AT. If its graded, I say 55.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    .........NGC 63.........PCGS.........63............. Crusty, dull original coin that most don't understand. Including me at times.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 53 but maybe it's just the pictures.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AU55 Details, but has Chop so it's Details in NGC holder (PCGS would put into graded holder with Chop Mark designation).

Has some rub, and toned nicely... >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    << So Stuart, what is the grade on the trade???? >>

This is the first coin that I've purchased in an NGC "Details" non-numerically graded Certified holder. The coin's eye appeal convinced me to bid for it in a recent auction. After receiving the coin and inspecting it in person, I'm very pleased with having made the purchase.

It exceeds my expectations based on the auction photos as posted in this thread which did not depict the coin's luster. The coin possesses satiny to semi-prooflike mint luster in the fields, with lightly contrasting frosty cameo devices.

When rotated in light, the blue brown toning is beautifully illuminated from beneath, by the reflected light that emanates through it. image

1876-S Trade Dollar - NGC AU Details - Chopmarked
    imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack, acetone soak, rinse and submit.....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file