Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oh, No! Not Again Three Times! Mint's Unexpected 2014 Product Offerings

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
11/20/2014 - 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set - $??.??
12/??/2014 - Coin Discovery Set - An Introduction to Coin Collecting - $24.95
12/??/2014 - 2014 Coin and Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt - $??.??

can't find links for these right now.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less about the mints offerings. There are so many more interesting classic coins to be concerned with.

Edited to add: Not criticizing the post, just the relevance of the mints offerings.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I couldn't care less about the mints offerings. There are so many more interesting classic coins to be concerned with.

Edited to add: Not criticizing the post, just the relevance of the mints offerings. >>

I generally feel the same way, though I have seen some attractive modern designs on the plats and some of the others, so I don't have an across-the-board contempt for all of their offerings. Like Boosibri, I'll spend my money on classic coins that have actually seen some history rather than just commemorating it. But that doesn't mean that I hate all of the modern Mint products, necessarily.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>11/20/2014 - 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set - $??.??
    12/??/2014 - Coin Discovery Set - An Introduction to Coin Collecting - $24.95
    12/??/2014 - 2014 Coin and Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt - $??.??

can't find links for these right now. >>

Where did you get the information about these products? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only see them on the product schedule now

I can't find any PR nor product pages.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'm still awaiting them to announce the "design your own" offering

send them an image and they create a sticker they put on a blank planchet
    $29.99 clad....$99.99 silver...$9,999. gold...offer limited...HURRY

$50 additional for any image to be in reverse design
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I couldn't care less about the mints offerings. There are so many more interesting classic coins to be concerned with.

Edited to add: Not criticizing the post, just the relevance of the mints offerings. >>

Disappointedly, but I have to agree with your view.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in all fairness to the Mint, they did hint that they would come out later this year with some newer items.
    checked with the BEP (moneyfactory.gov) about the coin & currency set....nothing on their web site.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Lately the USM seems to be moving away from specialty packaging of their sets.....except for some like the UHR, Gold Kennedy, the higher end stuff.

Take a look at the packaging for the Kennedy Silver Set - looks terrible.

All of this when other world mints have been very successful with offering limited packaging options - i.e. the Mexican Mint with their limited boxed Libertad Sets.

A perfect example - they would make money offering the 2015 Marshal Commems in a old rustic boxed set, probably a branding mark on the box.......would do.

Would hard core collectors care? - probably not. But the general public purchasing for a gift would buy it like crazy.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>I couldn't care less about the mints offerings. There are so many more interesting classic coins to be concerned with. <<<

+1
  • Options

<< <i>i'm still awaiting them to announce the "design your own" offering

send them an image and they create a sticker they put on a blank planchet
    $29.99 clad....$99.99 silver...$9,999. gold...offer limited...HURRY

$50 additional for any image to be in reverse design >>

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I only see them on the product schedule now

I can't find any PR nor product pages. >>

Ahhh. I checked last night but could not find them. I logged in and checked this morning and there they were!

None of these pique my curiosity as I expect them to be numismatic turds.

The 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set will probably be nothing more than a FDR Presidential Dollar and a Federal Reserve note with a serial number that begins with 2014...
    The 2014 Coin and Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt will be a Proof FDR Dollar and a booklet
    The Coin Discovery Set - An Introduction to Coin Collecting was released once already in 2005 as "Collecting America's Coins: Beginner Basics" and had a 2005-S Kennedy Proof, 2 Satin Finish Roosevelt Dimes (2005-P & 2005-D), 2 Lincoln Cents (2005 & 2005-D) and a Zincoln Type 2 Blank. The product wasn't a sell out and just didn't prove popular.

Evidently the Product Development Department which had created all the products which had been dropped in December 2008 have either been rehired or management forgot why they dropped all those products in the first place.

I'm still pissed that they dropped the Presidential Dollar Signature offerings after only 2 years!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2014 Coin and Chronicles Set – Franklin D. Roosevelt will be a Proof FDR Dollar and a booklet >>

I would think it's probably somewhat similar to the 2013 TR C&C set....

2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set

I would have bought a second TR set, but they went off sale before I remembered to actually place the order. image

I'd probably buy one if they give FDR the same treatment, but he ranks no place close to TR on my rankings of favorite presidents...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FDR was not fit to shine the boots of TR .....JMHO.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FDR was not fit to shine the boots of TR .....JMHO.... Cheers, RickO >>

Agreed.

Additionally, the new mint website is completely unnavigable.
    They went from crappy and slow to absolutely unusable.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I bought the TR set and will probably buy the FR set. 15K of the TR set were sold. I liked the TR set a lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file