Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Halloween Treat Remembrance

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
When I was a child,oh so long ago,when we trick/treated in our neighborhood we not only got candy. Sometimes we were invited into the home (see how often that happens today) for a donut/ cup of cider. But the best part came when we were invited to take some cents (or pennies if you prefer) from a tray, lined up on a tray, instead of candy. I always wondered later on in life if a 55/55 or some such rarity slipped through my grasp. Did you ever experience some such occurence coin wise?
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also remember being invited in for cider and usually
    ended up with several Lincolns in my trick or treat bag.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past I have given out Ike dollars and halves to trick or treaters.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Give numismatic books as treats!

• Oct. 30th. which in most localities has always been the traditional trick or treat day is my birthday.
    As a kid I always took a ribbing around halloween and was referred to as the trick that was played on my parents.
    Funny what kids can dream up.
    Maby I'll post a birthday coin on the 30th.
    Skip
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I'll be giving out blood glucose test kits to the kids again this year, and Jello shots with any hot moms.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, we often got invited in for cider and cents or nickels frequently given....Cheers, RickO
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted this before, but I grew up in Racine, Wisconsin - home of Whitman Publishing who make the blue coin folders.

Imagine getting a Whitman coin folder as a treat - I did!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Halloween is at the end of the growing season, in California, we had one neighbor
    that would ask us kids in for a apple cider. Then instead of candy or money, each kid was
    sent home with a huge bag or wooden crate (if you could carry it) of back yard harvested
    fruit, and vegetables. There was always a candied apple on top. And also a bar of fruit
    chips dipped in chocolate...nuts like walnuts and pecans! Grapes of every color!
    WE LOVED going to this neighborhood home!
    I think our parents loved it as well!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file