Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coin world back issues.

anyone know of any websites for buying back issues of coin world? i am looking for a few back issues and have had no luck searching.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have not already have you tried the Coin World offices,Ebay,Ephemera dealers, or libraries? My local library carries CW and stores back issues but I don't know for how long.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "anyone know of any websites for buying back issues of coin world?"

Wouldn't you just know it. That is how things go for me. I recently threw away a small hoard of back issues of Coin World - a thirty (30) year subscription, complete. That's right - 30 years! As a collector at heart, I dutifully kept each issue, after reading it from cover to cover, and stacked them in the storage room, believing that I might one day need to refer to them again. When the accumulated hoard reached six piles, each five foot in height, I decided to throw them away. I first needed to remove the address labels from each of the covers (a potential security risk), and then carted them to the recycling center. Now I learn that ckrakowski is looking for back issues. I would have been happy to give him a 30 year collection of Coin World if he would simply haul them away. By the way, the 'hoard' also included 30 years of Numismatic News.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time - less work - instead of cutting out the address labels? Just move to a new house.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years back I attempted to sell some old Coin World and Numismatic News issues on eBay. It proved to be a complete waste of time as demand was virtually nil. I ended up just putting them out in the recycling bin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years back I attempted to sell some old Coin World and Numismatic News issues on eBay. It proved to be a complete waste of time as demand was virtually nil. I ended up just putting them out in the recycling bin. >>

10 4...after I read the most current issue, I pass it along to my brother and after he reads it, does what you did.

BTW...I still have the original & subsequent issues of PCGS's "Rare Coin Market Reprt's" (Volume 1 No.1 April 2007 to vol 2 no.5 May 2008 .. all, except for the first issue, sealed in their shipping wrap)
    My great great grand kids might end up with a windfall image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some CoinAge from the early 70's
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tear a lot of articles out of CW and file them, but saving them all is only good for people with warehouse-sized libraries who have bookbinders on the household staff.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I often leave coin-related periodicals (after I have torn off the address info) at waiting rooms in doctors offices, car repair shops, etc.

Can't hurt; might help start someone collecting.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been subscribing to Coinage since 1971. I rarely "visit" them even though
    I kept each issue; added earlier ones from ebay. My CoinWorld and NumismaticNews
    articles are filed away in a 4 drawer cabinet; over 40+ years worth. ANA member
    since 1981; kept all of those Numismatist mags. The Coinage and Numismatist sit
    in labeled boxes; just not enough room for shelves. The auction catalogues and
    reference books are a different story.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    If you're looking for specific articles and are an ANA member, you can probably get copies of the articles from the ANA Library.

(There's probably a fee for this service.)

Other than that, I read somewhere that the publishers of Coin World are getting ready to put their archives on-line.

(I don't recall a target date for it.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would digitize all of Coin World and sell it on DVD-ROM. I'd buy a set.
  • Options
    the oldest one i am looking for is from sept 3 2001 and on the cover they were talking about a double reverse quarter. i saw it on ebay a few days ago but can not find it now. if anyone knows where i can get this issue i will be grateful.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    By the time mine comes in the mail, it could already be considered a back issue
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone know of any websites for buying back issues of coin world? i am looking for a few back issues and have had no luck searching. >>

...if you subscribe to CW online they have an archives...BUT I don't know how far back they go..image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    i was just alerted to this website. what do people think. is it worth a try?

numismatic library

after reading this i do not know if i have to show up there or can i call and ask if they have it. what do guys think?
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    For the ANS library, you can call and ask if they have the issue(s) you're looking for, but you'll have to go there to look at the issue(s) and make copies yourself.

(Note the admission fee they charge non-members.)

The ANS Librarian left a couple of months ago, I think, but hopefully they still have the Library staffed.

Personally, I'd go with the ANA Library, as I recommended in my earlier post. I called them a few days ago looking for an article from The Numismatist from 1951 - the staffer I talked to was very friendly and helpful. They'll do copies or scans (see their website for details). I asked for copies and she said that she'll mail them to me with a bill.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file