Home U.S. Coin Forum

Missing 1796 Quarter

Missing 1796 Quarter

A Federal Express package being shipped from the UK to Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, Inc. containing a 1796 Quarter graded AU58 has been reported missing. The last tracking information showed the package cleared customs in Memphis, TN.
Anyone with information should contact:

Glenn Onishi 310-551-2646

or

Doug Davis 817-723-7231 Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.

Comments

• HUGE bummer!! (don't know which to use..... image or image probably both)

edit to separate smiley/not smiley
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer!

But based on that photo it should be easy to ID from the fresh fingerprints on the reverse!!! image
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn,

that is one friggin nice quarter!
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was lost in a FedEx shipment from England. It made it to Memphis on September 17, 2014. Since then.....

(edit - Oh I see this was already stated by the OP)
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    oh man
    top tier stuff being ripped off

1st that 1795 gold eagle
    now this...crap a sweet au58

this image at least captures indentifying charactoristics...it can be determined out of a holder
    someone should break with greed of its worth
    i hope he squeals on the whole lot involved too

sad stuff
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's recovered, but I'd really like to hear the story behind it.
    Is it a newly discovered coin that's been in hiding across the pond for the past few centuries?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bummer!

But based on that photo it should be easy to ID from the fresh fingerprints on the reverse!!! image >>

No kidding.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    bummer. It is most likely long gone by now. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Ditto on the bummers. I hope the scum bucket who nabbed it tries to sell it to a dealer who knows it's a stolen coin.

Hopefully they don't try to wear it down so it looks totally different. That would be a great loss to numismatics as also would the 1795 gold eagle that got ripped recently.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ditto on the bummers. I hope the scum bucket who nabbed it tries to sell it to a dealer who knows it's a stolen coin.

Hopefully they don't try to wear it down so it looks totally different. That would be a great loss to numismatics as also would the 1795 gold eagle that got ripped recently. >>

Walking into Pawn Stars shop would be too funny.
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    That really sucks. Looks like a beautiful, original example. Hope the coin gets found soon, and I hope the it is in the same nice shape.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I...... almost.... asked about the fingerprint.
    Yes, I almost did.

duh. image
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the 1795 Eagle and 1796 quarter have Memphis as the common denominator. Interesting.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, of all the coins. Why can't they lose a low grade Washie . Why a ubber RARE coin
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beautiful coin. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • stevepkstevepk Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    I bet it ends up being sold to a pawn shop for 40% of melt value.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bet it ends up being sold to a pawn shop for 40% of melt value. >>

Well, I'll bet it doesn't!

Stolen stuff to pawn shops

<< <i>Contrary to popular belief, pawn shops hardly ever end up with stolen goods
    For some reason, many people wrongly associate pawn shops with the underbelly of society and assume that our shops are full of stolen goods. The truth is, experienced criminals never take stolen items to pawnshops. In fact, according to the National Pawnbrokers Association, less than 0.5 percent of all pawned merchandise is ever identified as stolen. >>

My shop was combo coin AND pawn.

Our records were straight. We had VERY little incidence of stolen items and there's a reason why.
    In California (where that link is from) we have a little known law that applied only to pawnbrokers.
    It made it a CRIME to .....lie... to a pawnbroker.

I invoked it for EVERY stolen item case. The DA wasn't real happy as it added more work for them.
    BUT
    It prevented ANY crook from getting OUT of jail until he reimbursed ME.
    Plus dealt with the theft.

Thus, if a family reneged and wanted junior back home after stealing stuff, they did not GET junior until ...I.. was repaid.

Crooks KNOW this.

A ....pawnshop..... is the dumbest place to sell swag.

Go to a WE BUY GOLD storefront. They aren't regulated like pawnshops.

If you're one who equates "pawnshop" with every fencing place, then STOP it. Pawn shops keep records.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why in the world would anyone hold an expensive coin flat against their greasy fingers like that?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file