Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"alright who lost a spring" says this jefferson nickel

as it's right here...image

not my coin or image...it's up on northeastcoin for sale

just way too cool not too make an appearance here..."spring struck into surface"...error....neat

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Curses! Coiled again!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool. i haven't seen this one. i did see the one where the spring is sticking right out of the top of the nickel pretty far. it was on the cover of a issue from coneca's errorscope.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Curses! Coiled again!" >>

yup...it is kinda close to a "full coil" designation though... image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    cool. i haven't seen this one. i did see the one where the spring is sticking right out of the top of the nickel pretty far. it was on the cover of a issue from coneca's errorscope.
    . >>

aww...i missed it...i bet it was a sight to behold

one has to wonder if that owner will pounce on this
    to start a really diverse subset of a collection

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northeast numismatics usually has some nice stuff.

The price has been reduced as well.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool, I can see this bouncing around from one collection to another if the price is right image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultra super cool error
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Curses! Coiled again!" >>

AaaRRRgggHHH...

One might say this torturespun but spring has sprung down under.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I love this coin--one of my all-time favorite nickel errors.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold the other one, with the Coil sticking up
    from the coin's surface, at last year's ANA.

(it was the one on the cover of the Errorscope)

One of my favorite cool errors.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold the other one, with the Coil sticking up
    from the coin's surface, at last year's ANA.

(it was the one on the cover of the Errorscope)

One of my favorite cool errors..... >>

Do you still have a picture of it?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< I sold the other one, with the Coil sticking up >>

1964 Jefferson Spring Projectile Error
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! image
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did that ever make it into circulation?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Who will spring for that?
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>Who will spring for that? >>

touche!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>as it's right here...image

not my coin or image...it's up on northeastcoin for sale

just way too cool not too make an appearance here..."spring struck into surface"...error....neat

image >>

So....anyone know if the spring is a part of this coin? If it is, that's one powerful coin press to flatten out the spring......must of busted the collar as well. Man-made at the shop? I mean.........whoever did this must of been pretty bored since they had to strike close to 3 billion for this date.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>So....anyone know if the spring is a part of this coin? If it is, that's one powerful coin press to flatten out the spring......must of busted the collar as well. Man-made at the shop? I mean.........whoever did this must of been pretty bored since they had to strike close to 3 billion for this date. >>

i'm no expert on collars, modern or otherwise but the coin looks broadstruck and probably because when the hammer die came down on the spring, it perhaps pushed the collar out of the way, or

perhaps the spring got in the way and prevented the collar from doing its job and getting into place and then the coin was struck. i'd say there is a good chance the spring could come out but perhaps

there is just enough metal over the top of the spring to hold it in place, similar to the prongs that hold a gem on a mount? just wrap a little metal over a couple edges and that spring ain't goin'

nowhere, nohow. lol

• Options

<< <i>How did that ever make it into circulation? >>

Considering that the coin is almost the normal size for a nickel, it really isn't surprising that the coin made it out of the mint. If a coin is the correct size, it has a far better chance of making it through the riddlers and the counting machines.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< I sold the other one, with the Coil sticking up >>

1964 Jefferson Spring Projectile Error >>

That coin is nuts! Whoever bought it should pick up this other nickel as well--they'd look amazing together.
  • Options
    The press would have been striking the coin with (I can't remember the precise number) around 50 tons of striking pressure per square inch. That's easily enough to press the spring into the coin's surface, and also shear it off were it intersects with the collar (although it was not immediately sheared off.) I know this because part of the spring broke away after the strike, leaving the impression of the spring on the far left side of the coin, and if it had been sheared off, you wouldn't see the spring impression going all the way to the coin's rim (which is significant since the coin is a partial collar strike, which means that that area of metal of metal with the spring impression is above the collar die's surface.)

I believe the spring was probably sticking out from the coin immediately following the strike, and didn't fall away from the coin until later (perhaps when the coin went through a counting machine), at which point the piece was ripped away from the coin. The coin could very possibly have looked like the coin Fred Weinberg sold (the one on the cover of the Errorscope shown earlier.) before it went through a counting machine.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks OIh82w8 for posting the cover of the
    Errorscope that was requested.

The one that Northwest Numismatics has for sale
    was also on the cover of the NECA Errorscope,
    around 1970-71.

Two great pieces that have come back on the
    market in the recent past.......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both coins same year. Same spring? Belong together as a set.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did that ever make it into circulation? >>

That is exactly my question! And then how would that spring have made it's way into the press to get struck? Coins are flying through the press at how many a second?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Got me laughing again bud!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file