Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IHC coin with corrosion

Hello all, I am new so please be gentle with me. Many thanks!

I just purchased this coin. When viewed in the listing, it did not look like it had any issues, but now that I look at it closer I can see corrosion on it. What can I do to keep this coin healthy?

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

l am a newbie so please be gentle image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the coin?

One thing you could do is soak it in mineral oil for a while.

(Or olive oil, if you don't have any mineral oil handy.)

If the corrosion is advanced enough to cause pitting to the coin's surfaces, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do- it's pretty much irreversible.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello all, I am new so please be gentle with me. Many thanks!

I just purchased this coin. >>

oh great. another nooby that can't figure out how to post links/images on a posting forum. ><

i will hope it doesn't take you 7-10 years to learn how like many others around here. actually, i think some are still working on it!

just a tip. uploading images via the image uploader to be hosted by CU is a waste of time. the size minimum will permit you to post images of smurfs, not much else.

btw, welcome. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of coin is it?
    Any chance of returning it?
    Plenty of problem free coins around, no need to put up with a corroded one.

Edit: Helps if I read (IHC) image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Depending on the grade, unless it's a 72, 77, 08-S or 09-S it might be simpler to get a better one than try to do much other than some mineral oil.

Welcome! image
    Ed
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's corroded it's too late

Return it if you can
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Sorry about not uploading pics. I am working on my phone and upload would have nothing to do with that process. I think I got it and thank you.

It is a beautiful 1888 IHC and I am not sure I want to return it unless that is my last resort? It seem to have corrosion around the numbers, letters and face, of the pretty lady. At least, I see it as corrosion but maybe it is something else and I just don't know? Any help would be much appreciated.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

• Options
    That pinkish color also is indicative of improper dipping/cleaning
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Well, that does not sound good either! So much to learn...

So, if I soak it in olive oil or mineral oil (how long)?

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like verdigris to me, and soaking it won't help, though it won't hurt to try if you want to.....
    there is a product called Verdi Gone that may help, but with the possible cleaning the coin has already seen,
    it's likely not worth the effort. Good luck in any event!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    The color could be off due to the camera's white balance being off

Shoot it on a white plate or piece of plastic

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vedicare (was Verdigone) won't help old corrosion. It won't hurt but don't expect much.

Corrosion is not fixable. What's there will always be there. It's probably pretty stable by now.

The coin has been messed with. I'd return it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return it..a sap.
  • Options
    well darn, just checked and he does not except returns.
    this is what the ad looked like! I will take another pic on (white?) backdrop and see what that does.

edit: sorry will turn white balance off...

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options
    As Snow White as you can get.

Plate, plastic, heavy cardboard.

After the picture is taken the "white balance" can be made digitally using photo editing software. You just need some white background in the photo.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    If you bought it on ebay you can file a SNAD (significantly not as described). Provide seller's pix and yours. Cite corrosion not mentioned, improper cleaning. Even though dealer said no returns you will likely win and get all your money back once you prove it has been returned. Follow ebay's return rules carefully.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Post a link to the auction
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry about not uploading pics. I am working on my phone and upload would have nothing to do with that process. I think I got it and thank you. >>

nicely done. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Ok, so here is the ebay ad... Don't kick me because I paid way to much for the coin. eBay purchase

Thanks for the job for (pic posting)... Like I said, I thought it was a phone upload issue. I really do know alot about forum and web-page design as I have worked on and created both. Everyone has a bad day now and again. image

• Options
    Ok, so here is the ebay ad... Don't kick me because I paid way to much for the coin. eBay purchase

Thanks for the job for (pic posting)... Like I said, I thought it was a phone upload issue. I really do know alot about forum and web-page design as I have worked on and created both. Everyone has a bad day now and again. image

I also purchased these two... Does the coloring mean this first one has also been messed with (cleaned) and the second, does this look painted? Do they even paint coins because some of them look completely painted, with something?

Sorry to be all over the place. Just so new at this and obviously have no clue as what I am doing. Have done some research but I tend to learn the hard way, unfortunately...

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options

I also purchased these two... Does the coloring mean this first one has also been messed with (cleaned) and the second, does this look painted? Do they even paint coins because some of them look completely painted, with something?

Sorry to be all over the place. Just so new at this and obviously have no clue as what I am doing. Have done some research but I tend to learn the hard way, unfortunately...

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options
    and as I say that, I post the same message three times... what a dweeb!

• Options
    There is a new bug that helps us all multi-post

If you get some error message when posting, give it a few minutes for the post to show

Ikegwin takes good photos, but I'm extra careful and don't want to kill anything without a full trial, thus the request for photos taken on a pure white background. Once the amount of "wrong" there is in the color -- i.e. how far off of white the white background is -- the better can be spoken about the nature of how off the color of the coin is.

Of course, you can post up digitally white balanced pics, which would be ideal, but it'd still help to take them on a white background.

• Options
    Oh, sorry no. I have not done that yet. It got to dark as I was doing other things earlier. The two, are two other coins that I purchased, and I was wondering if the first one (because of coloring) means it has also been cleaned or messed with in some way. The second one, I am curious if it looks painted somehow? So, they are two new coins to the thread. Sorry for the confusion. I thought maybe it is related as now I am worried about these coins being doctored or fixed up, for schmucks like me.

Right now I am just sticking with one date. The 1888 was the first I bought, so 1888 it is. I think I have about 12 and it's probably silly but it helps me learn.

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options

I guessed the last one looked too yellow (white looks yellow), so here is a bad attempt at white balance correction. (The bottom one looks a bit too blue, so I probably took out too much yellow. But this is more to illustrate a point than highlight my lack of skills.)

cleaned copper looks salmon pink. if it turns brown again after a cleaning, there is still a hint of salmon in there.
    Generally, I haven't seen many pictures were the white balance is off by that color pink. For the first coin posted, it's a touch of bad news along with more experienced people saying it looks once cleaned and re-colored
    Also the first coin posted has some pretty heavy spots of verdigris, such as that big speck next to the last 8 and that dark area under the bottom of the profile and around the "18" in the date is troubling.

perhaps someone with better eyes, skills, and software can color correct a couple of these to give you an idea of how white balance can affect color in a photo.

What is getting you to collect 12 1888 instead of 12 different dates?

on that third one, what is that line between the mouth and "United" ?

• Options
    If you are near Tucson, stop by rick snow's shop. Indian Head cents are one of his specialties.
  • Options
    Screw the photos. Deal with that another time.

The issue is a bad coin. Make things right.
    Lance.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The first one has verdigris, the second one has been messed with so it's not original surfaces/color.

Don't give up. You will learn but you need some good ones to learn what to look for.
    Try buying your next coin in a slab, either PCGS, NGC or even ANACs.
    Maybe get a RB unc around MS63 and a nice brown one in 45 or better.
    You might pay more for a slabbed coin but it's a better deal than buying several problem coins.
    Avoid raw ones until you know better what to look for.

That's good advice to look at Ricks shop if you're near Tucson.
    Ed
  • Options
    Many thanks for all your insight and fast responses guys and dolls... I did contact Mr. Rick a couple of weeks ago, as I am in the Phoenix area and was looking for someone up here that might be able to look at them. Not sure if he responded directly or if someone else in his shop but they never said who, in the Phoenix area, might be good. Might try again...

Thanks again, Mollie

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't give up. You will learn but you need some good ones to learn what to look for.
    Try buying your next coin in a slab, either PCGS, NGC or even ANACs.
    Maybe get a RB unc around MS63 and a nice brown one in 45 or better. >>

Better yet, keep your money in your wallet and continue to educate yourself before spending another dime.
    Even a slabbed coin can be a bad buy if you pay too much for it.
    1888 is a very common date, and many nice coins are available for far less than you paid for the first Ebay coin you posted.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Particularly if your interest is IHCs, I think the earlier advice to visit Rick Snow's shop is excellent. You will be amazed at the amount you can learn from a person that specializes in your area of interest. More so in person than otherwise.

I would combine that with reading books, websites, etc devoted to numismatic fundamentals, grading, and your particular area of interest.
    It takes time. You can't learn it all at once. But each discussion and revelation will build on an ever growing foundation of knowledge.

I have found it to be an enjoyable journey.

Best of luck to you!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    Hello all,
    I finally got a chance to take a couple of pics on a white background. The first is without a flash and the second with a flash. Not sure if this will change your opinion of the coloring and what caused it, but worth a shot. Also, is it worth trying to resort it with VERDI-CARE™? I read about this product somewhere on here.

Again, many thanks, Mollie

• Options

[my image is another bad of an attempt to color correct. it still seems too purple. but you can see that even your photos each look different depending upon conditions. so, it is important to have good photos to make these judgment calls.]

based on your second picture I'm going to say it wasn't once cleaned and it is just really ugly colored plus it has lots of corrosion. The pictures on the listing did not show the corrosion.

if the listing does not mention corrosion, message the seller and try to get them to take a return.

take a brown cent from your pocket change and put it in some lemon juice or vinegar with some salt. let it sit. the salmon pink color it will turn is the trademark color of a cleaned copper coin. keep it and let it re-brown over time. you'll see it still has a hint of salmon under the brown.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. PLEASE return that coin using ebay's snad process. I do not think you could be
    denied, but then these days, who knows for sure. In this condition, which cannot be cured of its disease,
    no one should pay any amount for it. With the money refunded, you could buy a nice au coin with no issues that you would
    love. Also, as stated, contact Rick Snow regardless of where you live and he will help you, as he has so many others. I have bought many coins
    from Rick and received an IHC education that I consider invaluable. Please if you continue with IHC collecting you
    should buy one of his books(or all) as you can. Best of luck in your collecting of one of my favorite all time coins.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thank you. I have already asked for a refund from the fellow I bought it from. Waiting on his response now. If he does not response I will ask eBay to get involved, asap.

Like, I said before, I have contacted Rick S. but it was not about this. I will make contact again. Also, I did buy one of his books a couple of weeks ago. It's a kindle book. I will check it out.

I am just so upset about this coin. I really thought it was going to be a great coin. It looked so beautiful and if not for the (so far gone) condition, it is beautiful. image

Many thanks, Mollie

but I will follow all of your advice, as I am ignorant on the matter and that why asked you guys, as you are not.

again, thank you, Mollie

• Options
    I would recommend buying only coins that are in PCGS or NGC slabs and that you avoid raw coins

Spend time on the board and you will learn a lot

Read and learn before you buy
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Hello all,

I just wanted to give you all an update regarding my (return request).

He said yes (was very surprised) and here is his response:

"It was pictured so the most detail and luster would come out, not to hide
    "porosity" and to be perfectly honest with you, I don't know what u are
    referring to and the pictures you took are terrible, unusable for
    anything"

Thank you so much for all your advice and help. Also, thank you for the many welcomes, sent my way.

Mollie

• Options
    Guy's a jerk. Worse.

I would like you win this. You should file a SNAD. But know that everyone one of us has made mistakes and learned lessons. We call losses tuition.
    Lance.

edited to add: "he said yes" must mean a return's okay. I misunderstood. Good for you!
  • Options
    He is right....your pictures show that the coin is unuseable. lol
    Glad all is working out. FYI-go to heritage auction site and look at all the graded IHC's and get
    a better feel for grading the coins. Rick Snow use to offer a grading page for the coins and it was
    very helpful. Best of luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is an XF and you should have dropped out at $20, maybe $25. The seller said it is BU, and you should not trust his grading. If you are looking for decent coins for decent money, you can do better. Post a buy on the Buy, sell, trade forum. Say you are new and want properly graded coins at fair prices. I think you'll get some good coins/deals that way.

He is right....your pictures show that the coin is unuseable. lol Glad all is working out. FYI-go to heritage auction site and look at all the graded IHC's and get a better feel for grading the coins. Rick Snow use to offer a grading page for the coins and it was very helpful. Best of luck. Jim

I disagree. Looking a PCGS and NGC graded coins will only confuse you. They are overgrading Circ indian cents terribly. I often see VF and XF coins in AU holdes.

video
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Great video, thanks.
  • Options
    I bow to Rick's judgement..stay away from Heritage. lol
    Jim

• Options
    Stay away? your not serious are you? Text
  • Options

<< <i>That pinkish color also is indicative of improper dipping/cleaning >>

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Glad he is going to honor a return. You can check out Rick's coins at indiancent.com I believe. He has some beautiful coins.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send that dog back. It's closer to a $4 coin than a $40 coin. Oh yeah, WELCOMEimage
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Again, thank you all... Awesome feedback and insight!

Many thanks, Mollie

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file