Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealer Target of Vehicle Burglary After MOON Show(Photo)

Dealer Target of Vehicle Burglary After MOON Show(Photo)
Vehicle Burglary
On October 12, 2014 a LaCrosse, WI coin dealer was the victim of a vehicle burglary after returning from the MOON Coin Show in Brooklyn Center, MN. The victim parked behind his shop and walked around to enter from the front. As soon as the victim was out of sight a suspect who was talking on a cell phone and wearing gloves approached the vehicle and used some type of tool to crack the window. The suspect removed one tote from the vehicle and jumped into a getaway vehicle occupied by two other suspects.

A review of the video indicates the suspects waited outside the store for four hours prior to the dealer's arrival from the show, which was an hour and a half away. The suspects appeared to be of Hispanic/Central American descent and driving a Maroon Volvo XC-90.
Fortunately nothing of value was inside the tote. However, based on the circumstances the victim feels that he was targeted while at the show.

Anyone with information should contact:

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

or

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable. I hope they catch them based on the video.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of thief drives a Volvo SUV? Something fishy going on there.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scumbags
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What kind of thief drives a Volvo SUV? Something fishy going on there"

Lot of thieves around here drive nice cars, they make so much money stealing from others

One thief in particular who frequents this area drives an escalade
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope they catch them. Glad they didn't get anything.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>What kind of thief drives a Volvo SUV? Something fishy going on there. >>

They maybe stole the car to use for the job and don't really care what it is.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Too bad there wasn't a big old dog inside the car...
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Dreamers, no doubt.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fortunately nothing of value was inside the tote. However, based on the circumstances the victim feels that he was targeted while at the show. >>

So...

They stole his clothes?

I can just hear them now, "I told you that bag wasn't heavy enough to have anything valuable in it!"image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He must have had the most valuable unsold inventory at the show. Why else would they target a dealer that far from the show site? Seems more likely someone knew he was at the show and waited for him to get back. If it's who I think it is he may have had a lot of gold coins.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps someone will come up with a type of dye pack like banks use, which could be put in carrying cases while in transit. Not a preventative, but might make it possible to catch some of these thieves.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parking around back in a more secluded spot is a risk in and of itself. He's lucky that's all they did.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the news. image Glad everyone is safe.

Someone broke in to my daughters car recently - the "tote" they stole only contained sweaty gym gear. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Thugs.

I remember a number of years ago, when my wife lived "in the city", some thug broke into her car to get her work purse. They had a nice bounty of a couple menus, a name badge and some 10 cent pens. It would have been even funnier if we didn't have to pay for the window though. image
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they didn't get anything of value, and hope they get caught, this is just terrible.

Although I am not convinced it had anything to do with the MOON show specifically. If they were staking him out at the MOON show, they would have a much better idea of what time he would return to the shop, and would not be waiting 4 hours for his return. Also, if they were staking him out at that show they would be much more likely to hit him at a restaurant or another stop on the way, and if the dealer made no stops, then hit him at the shop as they followed him there. It seems much more likely that this dealer frequents coin shows, and the local robbers noticed that he was often returning on Sunday's.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also interesting that he has that many HD video cameras including one located on a neighbor's building. Unfortunately based on the orientation of the SUV, they have about 30' to the alley and then two directions they can go from there. If they had had a couple more minutes they could have cleaned out the vehicle and then they would have gotten some valuable items.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite it's expense, would'nt bullet proof glass be somewhat of a deterent? I recall a GE glass product from years ago called Lexan. Is it still in use? It was used in school windows as it was a defense from broken glass when children threw rocks at the school windows.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the one on the right is a female.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Despite it's expense, would'nt bullet proof glass be somewhat of a deterent? I recall a GE glass product from years ago called Lexan. Is it still in use? It was used in school windows as it was a defense from broken glass when children threw rocks at the school windows. >>

Lexan is plastic, not a glass product. I think it has been used for bulletproofing windows.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the one on the right is a female. >>

That's what I thought also.

I looked at the picture before reading the text and my first thought was, "A back alley? For real? That looks like a mighty shady spot to be parking in the first place with valuable coins in my car".

Surely they can get a read on the plate on the Volvo.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1976, I had a window broken and they stole my 8 track player. The car was unlocked, I did not use it anymore, and had paid $10 for it.

If they would have asked, they could have had it for free.

During the New York Trash Strike years ago, trash was EVERYWHERE. One woman came up with an idea on getting her trash picked up. She bundled it in a nice Saks 5th Avenue bag, or whatever, and left it in her passenger seat with the window down.

Trashed collected every day.
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Lexan is still being used in drag racing vehicles for the weight savings over heavy glass.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want that type of "You Suck" award….or a "Smile image, you're on Captured Camera." image
    Quick road to ruin.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the "tote" a US Mint Tote Bag? (The ones mailed with the baseball commemoratives)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the distance between Brooklyn Center, MN and LaCrosse, WI -- I'm curious what makes the dealer think that he was "targeted" at the MOON show? Not sure how you would make that connection.

With a store front like that below, it's not too difficult to believe that locals might know what kind of shop it was? Given all of the video, I hope they are able to find these scum bags...regardless of where they are from.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1976, I had a window broken and they stole my 8 track player. The car was unlocked, I did not use it anymore, and had paid $10 for it.

If they would have asked, they could have had it for free.

During the New York Trash Strike years ago, trash was EVERYWHERE. One woman came up with an idea on getting her trash picked up. She bundled it in a nice Saks 5th Avenue bag, or whatever, and left it in her passenger seat with the window down.

Trashed collected every day. >>

Leaving car doors unlocked can save you a window, however you may just end up with slashed seats. Or in your case a broken window anyway. Thieves come in all sizes and flavors. There are probably quite a few that are short a coin or two in their original bank roll.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Hope they catch these buggers! Makes me think that it would behoove high end dealers to place a discreet gps devise in whatever they use to transport their coins. Prob needs to be an ad hoc this. Once they're manufactured, the thieves will quickly adapt. But if I were a dealer, I'd imbed them in my cases.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Focus on the license plate. I can almost read it from here.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been in that shop. The guy has some Sweet coins!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hats off to all those dealers, certainly not an easy occupation. Hopefully they're caught and dealt with accordingly.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file