Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Hunt For Mr. Loveless

Back in December of 2013, I was going through our boxes of raw coins when I came across a counterstamped 1853 seated half dollar. The coin with its hole piqued my interest, and I wanted to know more about Mr. Loveless. In fairly short order, my Google skills failed me so I thought I would try my luck on Coin Talk (While I lurk here quite a bit, I tend to actively post there). My post was responded to by a number of knowledgeable counterstamp experts and collectors, one of whom was Mr. Bruce R. Mosher.

Bruce was also intrigued by my counterstamped coin, and he became determined to find Mr. Loveless. Over the next 5 to 6 weeks, Bruce would come back to the thread with regular updates on his research and I would be astounded anew each time at his persistence.

In the end, Bruce found Mr. Loveless. I was so impressed by his sleuthing skills that I thought it only right that Mr. Loveless go to live with him. Mr. Loveless made one last journey to his forever home, and time passed.

A few weeks back, I thought of Mr. Loveless once again and all the work Bruce put into finding him. I asked Bruce if he would share his story of the hunt for Mr. Loveless, and he graciously agreed...

The Hunt For Mr. Loveless
Numismatist, Alhambra Coin Center

Life At The Coin Shop
Facebook

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always intrigued by engraved coins. Someday I'll research the life of C.F. Weaver. At this point, I know when and where he was born, and when and where he died.
    imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a great read and fascinating detective work by Mr. Mosher. Thanks for posting that, Amanda!
  • Thank you! But again, Bruce did all the real work. image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• << <i>I'm always intrigued by engraved coins. Someday I'll research the life of C.F. Weaver. At this point, I know when and where he was born, and when and where he died.
    imageimage >>

Absolutely beautiful counterstamp you've got there! If you ever find him, be sure to let us know. image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A most interesting post and story.

I wonder if the coin is actually a form of dogtag. During the last part of the 19th century working for the railroad could be a very dangerous occupation. I recall reading that in 1888 7-8 railroad workers were killed on the job EVERY DAY. This coin could have served to identify Mr. Loveless if tragedy befell him. Since he apparently still worked in the railroad business into the early 20th century but then disappears from all records perhaps he met his fate in a railroad accident and wasn't wearing any such "dogtag" at the time.

We will probably never know.
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>A most interesting post and story.

I wonder if the coin is actually a form of dogtag. During the last part of the 19th century working for the railroad could be a very dangerous occupation. I recall reading that in 1888 7-8 railroad workers were killed on the job EVERY DAY. This coin could have served to identify Mr. Loveless if tragedy befell him. Since he apparently still worked in the railroad business into the early 20th century but then disappears from all records perhaps he met his fate in a railroad accident and wasn't wearing any such "dogtag" at the time.

We will probably never know. >>

7-8 a day is crazy -- talk about warranting hazard pay. Well, I do hope that our Mr. Loveless wasn't one such victim, though as you said ... we'll never know.

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that to your blog, Amanda. And a big Kudos to Mr. Mosher for taking the time to write about J.H. Loveless. His writeup is definitely worth of publication in one of the monthly coin publications. It's for sure something new to read revolving around our hobby.

-Steve

• << <i>Thanks for posting that to your blog, Amanda. And a big Kudos to Mr. Mosher for taking the time to write about J.H. Loveless. His writeup is definitely worth of publication in one of the monthly coin publications. It's for sure something new to read revolving around our hobby.

-Steve >>

I couldn't agree more! Bruce did a hell of a job not only locating Mr. Loveless, but writing an interesting article touching not only on Mr. Loveless himself, but the process of finding him. Brilliant.

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm always intrigued by engraved coins. Someday I'll research the life of C.F. Weaver. At this point, I know when and where he was born, and when and where he died.
    imageimage >>

Absolutely beautiful counterstamp you've got there! If you ever find him, be sure to let us know. image >>

It's either the most intricate counterstamp ever created, or it's skilled engraving. Pick one. image

BTW, great account of Mr. Loveless. Now to find out if he has any family living presently. . .

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    That was a very interesting read.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Henry owned this one.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Interesting article, very well written and worthy of publication.
    Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Thank you again, everyone! I don't know if Bruce has an account here as well, but I'll be sure to pass on the kind words. image

And topstuf, what a find! image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story and great detective work by Bruce. I have a couple of BrandM counterstamps from a Secret Santa exchange a few years ago on Cointalk.
  • I love Bruce's custom 'stamped coins! image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (I had a theory on the C.F.Weaver coin but realized it was wrong, as this coin has one engraved date well past the Civil War).
    Here is the 2009 thread if there is interest:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=718101
  • That is too cool! I've never seen a military inscription on a coin before, and the story behind it is great. image

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Allegan is about 20 minutes from where I grew up.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't he the little guy always giving James West & Artimus Gordon trouble image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    An AMAZING piece of detective work, and just as good an explanation of how he went about it!

I love collecting coins because of their historical significance, and the fact that, to me, "they just don't make them anymore", when talking about Morgans, Buffaloes, Barbers, IHC's, etc. And to think that you have in your hands something that someone earned/carried/spent hundreds of years ago is intriguing!

To add a more personalized background to a specific coin thru the investigation of its counter-stamp makes it that more wonderful a connection to our past!

- - Daveimage
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't he the little guy always giving James West & Artimus Gordon trouble image

Steve >>

Yes, Miquelito Loveless, played by Michael Dunn.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>An AMAZING piece of detective work, and just as good an explanation of how he went about it!

I love collecting coins because of their historical significance, and the fact that, to me, "they just don't make them anymore", when talking about Morgans, Buffaloes, Barbers, IHC's, etc. And to think that you have in your hands something that someone earned/carried/spent hundreds of years ago is intriguing!

To add a more personalized background to a specific coin thru the investigation of its counter-stamp makes it that more wonderful a connection to our past!

- - Daveimage >>

+1

I only wish I had Bruce's patience ...

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

<< <i>I'm always intrigued by engraved coins. Someday I'll research the life of C.F. Weaver. At this point, I know when and where he was born, and when and where he died.
    imageimage >>

I took a brief look today (using free websites).
    I believe he is:
    Charles F. Weaver
    As you suspected, born August 25, 1835, Penfield, NY.
    However, he was still alive in 1900 in Rochester, NY, so the June 12, 1888 engraved date on the coin is a mystery.
    1900 Census record:
    --------------
    Charles F Weaver
    Election District 2 (incl. Delta Kappa Epsilon) Rochester City Ward 12, Monroe, New York, United States
    Marital Status: Married
    Years Married: 41
    Birth Date: Aug 1835
    Birthplace: New York
    Marriage Year (Estimated): 1859
    Father's Birthplace: New York
    Mother's Birthplace: New York
    Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
    Charles F Weaver Head M 65 New York
    Delilah M Weaver Wife F 63 New York
    Elizabeth S Weaver Daughter F 29 New York
    Lucy F Upson Boarder F 58 New York
    Bertha Schroeder Servant F 21 Germany
    -----------

In addition, he was active in the "Brick Church" in Rochester.
    He was ordained as an Elder on June 7, 1874
    He was Superintendent of the Sunday School from 1875-1879, and in 1885.
  • Interesting! Thanks for the update, yosclimber. I can't help but imagine the people behind these coins, using them, treasuring them. Love it.

Life At The Coin Shop
    Facebook

Thanks to yosclimber for the footwork on C.F. Weaver. I'll have to explore local newspaper archives for June 12-13,1888. Perhaps a milestone event in his life occurred, or someone close to him.

If he was married on June 12, 1858, then June 12, 1888 could be a 30th wedding anniversary.
    And if the Census was before June 12, in 1900, he would be married for 41 years at that point.
    Finding the marriage record would help.

I found more census records which are also consistent with 1858 as the year of their marriage.
    1850 Delila Upson, NY, single, living with parents
    1855 Delilah Upson, Penfield NY, single with parents
    1860 Charles Weaver age 24, Delila M Weaver age 23, Penfield NY, apparently married now, no kids
    1870 Charles F Weaver, Delilah, NY, 2 kids
    1880 Charles F Weaver, Delilah, Rochester NY, 3 kids, occupation: Hardware Store
    1890 99% of 1890 census records were destroyed in a fire in 1921
    1900 Charles F Weaver, Delilah, Rochester, NY, 1 kid at home, Lucy Upson sister of Delilah, posted previously
    1910 Charles F Weaver, Delilah, Rochester, NY

A Penfield NY newspaper for June 12-13, 1858 might help?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file