Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eye Candy: 1799 bustie with Sweet Color....I think!

Hey guys,

Saw this coin today at a local coin show and was curious on your guys thoughts on the color as well as how much value the color adds to this coin? Being a young numismatist, one of the largest problems I encounter is pricing coins with color. BTW, the coin is in a NGC XF45 Holder. I really enjoyed viewing the coin in hand, and I have yet to see a bustie like it in person.

Sorry for the lightbulbs in the pics... LOL, typical bad coin show lighting

imageimage
JG Numismatics
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough to tell from the pics....I would say for sure that the color is secondary or tertiary toning.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JGNumismatics: Here are photos of my forum user icon coin for comparison purposes...

1799 AU Draped Bust Dollar (B-10, BB-163) - Blue Peripheral Target Toning

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Looks like that coin was scrubbed clean and has since retoned through accelerated album toning. I don't particularly care for the blast white center on a 200 year old coin.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> was curious on your guys thoughts on the color as well as how much value the color adds to this coin? >>

I'm probably in the minority and some folks like this kind of "color." For me it would be how much needs to be deducted off price, rather than how much to add. Sorry.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm probably in the minority and some folks like this kind of "color." For me it would be how much needs to be deducted off price, rather than how much to add. Sorry. >>

Makes sense, the coin really stood out. But from prior experience I figured it was re toning of some sort. Oh well, on the hunt again!
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll join in the chorus. I don't think the coin is original, and I'm not a fan.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi JG, bright, oilslick colors on circulated coins are usually (not always) caused by scrubbing the surfaces until they are raw, and then letting the coin re-tone in an album.

Depending on how aggressively the coin was cleaned this look can be subtle and sometimes attractive, but generally it just ends up looking like someone put lipstick on a pig (IMO). If you put a glass to the coin you should be able to see how the surfaces have been disturbed and marked by the cleaning.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not purchase that coin....Cheers, RickO
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd need to see some natural lighting pix of it (without flash or those light reflections) in order to give an opinion.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to pile on, but that's not a look I go for on classic coins...

Several years back I became smitten with a bust half at a show with similar toning. It was the key date to the series, from a famous collection and pcgs graded to boot, so I
    sold of a largish chunk of my collection at the time and reeled it in. Within a few months of owning it I realised that it did not fit my collection and I really didn't care for it so much.

I set out to find one with nice original surfaces, ironically in a pcgs details holder ! Still one of my faves to this day image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    that "cleaned look" kills it for me....sad to say
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Always amazes me how much the geniuses around here can tell from pictures let along terrible pictures. You guys should be graders at PCGS.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than a hundred years ago it was considered caring for your coin's to clean them every few years when they tarnished. image Yeah times change. image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Always amazes me how much the geniuses around here can tell from pictures let along terrible pictures. You guys should be graders at PCGS. >>

i don't know about that geiuses part there...but most here could give most pcgs graders a run for their money looking at whats in some of their holders
    we even pony up until pcgs gets the grade right

myself...i could break it down on "tell tale" signs i see...it's an old cleaning retoned even from that sub par image...no offence to OP
    crappy images can bear fruits so some study those and have wisdom with um

crappy images to work with is part of this hobby

OP made a thread and rather then stay mute...we at least cared enough to reply...bash us if you desire
    surely the OP appreciates time and opinions offered here
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• << <i>

<< <i>Always amazes me how much the geniuses around here can tell from pictures let along terrible pictures. You guys should be graders at PCGS. >>

i don't know about that geiuses part there...but most here could give most pcgs graders a run for their money looking at whats in some of their holders
    we even pony up until pcgs gets the grade right

myself...i could break it down on "tell tale" signs i see...it's an old cleaning retoned even from that sub par image...no offence to OP
    crappy images can bear fruits so some study those and have wisdom with um

crappy images to work with is part of this hobby

OP made a thread and rather then stay mute...we at least cared enough to reply...bash us if you desire
    surely the OP appreciates time and opinions offered here >>

I appreciate all opinions and advice from all posters, tha'ts why I posted originally. Regardless of re-toning or not I thought it was something different and would gather thoughts. Sorry for the images, the color was hard to capture away from direct light. Interesting as I have noticed, true toned coins appear toned in even the shadowy light.
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or not. I'd like to see it in hand.
    Lance.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned and retoned.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1799 Bust $ - The centers on the obverse and reverse are a good two stops overexposed, so I can't comment further on the coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone needs to invent a coin photo attachment for cameras. Something that mounts on the front of a camera that can hold a 2x2 or slab in front of it. Also with some sort of
    a diffuser that can catch the flash or other source of light with a prism and disperse it evenly over the coin somehow.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Quite unusual to see that toning on a bust dollar. That is slabbed tells me that despite the many critics, the coin would likely fetch a premium. Bust dollars have been a bit flat in the market for the last decade though. If she's not hairlined and has perimeter luster, she could do very very well.

Like the others, I'd like to see her in hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file