Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Freshly entombed Morgan. Grade from the photo

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
Go ahead, I dare you. Did it grade, or did it GEN?
If it did grade, what did it grade?

The cert # is included so you can check and see (and, hopefully not ruin it for others if they want to guess).

Now...the thought is, IF it did grade, is the grade right or should it be sticker attempted or what?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I guessed, then I looked and all I can say is:

• Options

<< <i>I guessed, then I looked and all I can say is:

image >>

Join the club, bro, join the club.
    It was NGC. Same label. I submitted probably thinking what you thought.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right out of the gate I noticed it's well struck and somewhat PL, at least based on the image.
    I guessed 65 then verified it. Nice clean piece Bochiman.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    65PL was my guess
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Easy 65.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably 66
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say MS-65 although the luster appears to be subdued. Sometimes coins get knocked down for that. The subdued luster + the small mark on the cheek preclude a higher grade IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photo makes it look better than that. That Gouge is pretty deep however.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you will find an MS65 with a mark that bad on the jaw. That mark and the subdued luster would limit it to an MS64 at best, in my opinion.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66+

bobimage

OH MY!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I don't think you will find an MS65 with a mark that bad on the jaw. That mark and the subdued luster would limit it to an MS64 at best, in my opinion. >>

I totally agree with Rampage's above quoted post. The contact mark on the jaw is a grade limiting factor, and the apparent subdued mint luster IMO suggests that a few microns of the coin's original surfaces may have been removed via dipping.

It's an attractive 1898 Morgan with what appear to be semi-prooflike fields with lightly frosted contrasting devices.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too nice to come back ungraded. Has a 66 look from your pics.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably 64....without the hit on the cheek, 66...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably 64....without the hit on the cheek, 66...Cheers, RickO >>

Sorta what I was thinking about it looking MS66 but for the large mark, I'll guess MS64+

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would grade it MS65 from what I can see.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a bit of it's previous life was stripped away. MS 65 ish. It's a great strike. My suggestion ? Crack it out and get it into a Taco Bell napkin in a southern facing window sill for about 5 years. Turning it over twice per year. Around the times we change the clocks. In time it will get some color back and look better. image

You may call me ridiculous.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very strong 66.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 PL.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a nice looking coin to be sure.

there is something off though, like it has been dipped to death or tampered with.

everything, especially liberty, is way too even.

having said all that, now it's time to go peek and see how far off or on i am. image

ok, post-peek commentary.

that would be interesting to see in-hand. i did view some CC morgans quite a while back that looked like solid 67s or even above but the submitter(s) could only land a 65-66.

my commentary will end here as anything further would only be mildly educational and highly inflammatory. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    High end '65 or a low end '66.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I actually guessed correctly!
    It sure has a clean cheek for that grade...
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they totally missed it based on the TV's.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mark on the jaw would be grade limiting for higher than 66. I see more chatter on the reverse though. The obv luster looks fuzzy and not quite right. Could be over-dipped, lightly wiped, etc. Deficient luster and wipe marks can drive the grade down pretty quick regardless of how clean the coin looks. I could see it grading MS64 because of those factors. Could have GENed as well.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I guessed then looked to see it is what it is.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at 66 with a possible plus.

I'd guess the jaw hit along with the hit on the point of her nose and the rim hit in the field in front of her chin were the big factors. I think it has a 65 reverse and 67 obverse (without the hits) IMHO.

I guess "without the hits" is the duh statement of the day.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it don't look like it should be AU something in that grade.
  • Options
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms 64 +
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post. my apology.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is graded properly. A couple dingers are hidden in the field with those beauty shots.

Trueview, grading, shipping, ouch!
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice MS 65 + to me based upon the pictures.

Nice coin I'd say.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks MS65 to me...
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is graded properly. A couple dingers are hidden in the field with those beauty shots.

Trueview, grading, shipping, ouch! >>

No. There are no "dingers hidden in the field". It really is pretty darn clean. The ding is seen on the chin. It is what it is. A couple of other, small, marks, are also visible on the reverse. They are not hidden by the Trueview.
    The picture, as shown, really is what the coin looks like inhand.

Ouch? Nah. It went in as part of an expiring voucher. I needed to send something in. Trueview added $10 and shipping was spread amongst 7 other coins. This coin wasn't an "ouch". It is what it is.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images does really show it nice. I wonder if the 66 guesses would guess the same based on what she looks like from the max image? No reason to send a common date white 64 in for a sticker in my opinion either.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the reason it didn't get the grade that you expected can be summed up with one word: Luster (or lack thereof), an often overlooked aspect of grading. No matter how mark-free the coin is, if the luster is even slightly subdued, it won't grade gem.

This does not include toned coins. That's a whole different animal.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say 65 maybe 65+, but the Obv fields seem muted or cloudy compared to the Rev,
    did they knock it down to a 64 ???

nice coin
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    I'm going to say MS65+.
    "Clamorous for Coin"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file