Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it just my listings that are not selling?

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
Or is the bad economy finally having an effect on lower priced coins?

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the economy. Although economists will say it's "our products" are worth less. And I suppose a quarter is worth less than a quarter in today's economy, especially when it costs nearly 2 dollars to mail it.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i watch some stuff close at auction that amazes in how cheap some are grabbing stuff up at

personally i believe the economy is indicating signs and you're probably on the mark with first hand wisdom based belief there...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I've been seeing it all over. Lots of people who just 8 or 10 years ago that were avidly collecting, now have cut back or can't collect at all due to a job loss, downsizing, or other reasons.

It has been brought up several times here in the forums, the younger crowd isn't collecting, and the older collectors are dying off.

It appears to be a combination of things, including the yucky economy.
  • MrScienceMrScience Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    But, but, but consumer confidence is reportedly at a seven year high!

No, I'm not seeing it either.
    Haters will always hate. Now let that be a lesson to Susan B. Anthony dollar lovers. image
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices are selling softer in general on ebay and have been for some time. I have to buy based on new prices realized. if there just isn't enough room I pass on stuff now. Literally I can no longer buy from other dealers at shows or shops and then list on ebay, unless of course they missed something like grade/ variety, etc. or they have something where the price guides are still way off. early copper, seated semi keys, late date 3c , stuff like that.

I took a few hits a while back during this transition , but now Its factor in my buying decision.

My personal collection if I had to sell it now would take a sizeable hit I know, thankfully I don't need to sell It . its a bad feeling knowing that if I got into a situation where I needed to sell I would lose 50k easily.

• BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    From 11/1 I'm going to pay $200/month more for my family of 3 health insurance. This means $2400/year less for coins.
    This set of coins is already 9 cents over face value with one day to go.

And like Russ once said: "There's a STIGMA" with being a power screwer.

As to the coin funds being dipped into by the HCA , or that bill we just "have to sign , to see what's in it" …. I empathize. See what the media and politicians can do ?
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Is it just my listings that are not selling? Or is the bad economy finally having an effect on lower priced coins? >>

Could it be where you have your coins listed?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    It's been very slow since Labor Day at shows, on feepay, and on our own site. Feepay is down for us about 80% in dollar volume.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Just to add that the feepay power screwers forum is little more than a suicide hotline at this point. From the varied sellers on there it appears sales are down across the board.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big seller but was selling a few coins every week until labor day and then it was just like a faucet being shut off.

I am trying a few .99 start prices this week along with some with higher starting prices but great values to try and get a handle on the market.

So far the .99 cent listings have some low ball action and I will probably be giving away some good coins at a low price but I will be learning.

We shall see.

I may go to just starting prices at a point I can live with and see where that goes next week.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing this 'bad economy', but frankly I don't think that's it - at least not locally (central Florida) - the skilled trades are busy, the laborers are busy, and we're having trouble filling factory and engineering positions at my company....I think a lack of interest in coins and other collectibles, and higher expenses for health care, expensive iphone data plans, food prices, etc are taking a toll.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck I wasn't even getting views. I ended about a hundred listings yesterday can't smell the carrot any more.

With the change to PayPal and eBay return policies taking place I'm hanging up the Closed sigh till the dust settles.
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Coin prices are too high. I can site examples. I won't bore you. Dealer costs to the industry are too high. What's feepay? PayPal or Ebay? or both? Coin prices are too high. There is a bit of structural unemployment still over hanging the entire economy. Coin prices are too high. Just because JA buys a six figure 1893-S for what he considers wholesale doesn't mean he hasn't paid the market price for the coin. Coin prices are too high. Dealers need wide margins to stay in business or high volume. Coin prices are too high. I will bore you if you make me get my pricing during the "greenspan put days" which weren't that long ago. Coin prices are too high. image
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay has been hurting as of lately. My sales are down 50%. Ive ended up adding more bullion to at least keep my numbers looking good. Where I do see growth in my Ebay sales is in Paper Money and Jewelry. Im not very good with either so time for me to get out a book or two.
  • Normally summer is slow and picks up after labor day. This year it's slower? That doesn't sound good. Maybe it's time for us to hold our coins for 30-40 years then we can have the old time collection stories.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard from a reliable coin dealer that the market is being flooded with widgets image
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My listings are doing great.

I do true auctions with a 99 cent start price.

You need to have items that people WANT to buy.
    People seem to still ike that "auction" format much more than the BIN. Pricing is not as fundamental , on ebay, as a "fair shot" at acquiring the best for less. (which that venue used to be)
    Being "flooded" makes it that much more "muck" to go through to get there. It's always a buyer's market.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while ago eBay took off the fees for relistings. Now, for the categories I care about, between 2/3 and 3/4 of the listings every day are relisted items -- the exact same items at the exact same price that didn't sell the first time. It's so hard to find the new stuff that I have to assume that a lot of casual bidders have given up looking.

It seems that a lot of sellers are listing items only with high starting prices or BINs, in defense against fewer bidder eyeballs... which of course turns off more bidders.

I think that a lot of the remaining bidders are getting more sophisticated and placing fewer bids on marginal pieces.

For the last few months I've been selling "stuff" -- various odds and ends of nothing special. These are pieces that I know aren't worth much (although I've been wrong a couple of times). I just want to get rid of them. Even so, some items are closing a week later with fewer than a dozen views. That's not a dozen watchers, but a dozen VIEWS -- people simply clicking on the listing and getting it up on their screen. Can't sell if nobody is looking!

eBay is focusing on short-term revenue, and sacrificing the long-term to do it.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone posted recently that melting a third of the coins that are clogging up the collecting world would benifit the hobby...I say make it 3/4.
    And maybe get rid of 3/4 of the crusty old dealers too for good measure image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many eBay buyers were also eBay sellers. Recent changes to eBay's policies have really turned-off many sellers. Many smaller sellers such as myself lost their power-seller discount due to failing to make the minimum lot sales amounts in spite of having EXTREMELY high positive ratings from buyers.

From 2000 to 2013 I was an enthusiastic eBay buyer and seller. Since early this year I haven't bought or sold anything on eBay. I don't even bother looking anymore.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - its not just you.

It has been slow for sometime. I feel like it has been gradually slowing down the last couple of years. Too many dealers vs too few buyers. The economy has not helped, wages for many people have been stagnant the last ten years as corporate downsizing, outsourcing, and movement to overseas has hurt workers. The elite are more interested in boats, clothes, jewelry, travel, fancy real estate, sugar babies than coins.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many eBay buyers were also eBay sellers. Recent changes to eBay's policies have really turned-off many sellers. Many smaller sellers such as myself lost their power-seller discount due to failing to make the minimum lot sales amounts in spite of having EXTREMELY high positive ratings from buyers.

From 2000 to 2013 I was an enthusiastic eBay buyer and seller. Since early this year I haven't bought or sold anything on eBay. I don't even bother looking anymore. >>

Yes that's similar to me - I lost mine because I was just a like 5% short of the minimum sales quantity despite having 100% feedback, making the minimum sales $Amount, and all 5 star DSR's plus paying on time. Its like I was a loyal diner at a restaurant then get some automated phone call my service will be 20% slower because I only came in 28 times that year than the required 30.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I get nothing for 4-5 weeks, and then 1,2,3, will sell 3 coins in consecutive days, then nothing again for weeks at a time. I have nicer material that I've listed (a few) at lowered prices and that hasn't resulted in much. I've started some nicer coins for .99 cents, with really good photos. The coins should sell for about $100 (that's what they are selling for on GC and other auction sites, anyway)...and they've failed to reach even $40 (while that same night the same grade/TPG/look coin sells for $112 on GC). eBay has me worried...it's a bit of a leading indicator of economic sentiment, and things have gradually slowed down. Maybe there will be a pick up around the holidays? They are running special after special, which means they might be seeing a slowdown as well.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only sold coins twice on Ebay over the past couple years, so I'm no expert on that. Sales were good for both times too.

What I am seeing lots more of now is crazy BIN's way over PCGS guide for very ordinary material, lots more than I usually see. A recent example coin is a 1944 PCGS MS-66 Walker I was looking for to fill my short set. BIN's on Ebay were starting at $220 and going up to almost $380! If there was a CAC sticker on it, there was a good chance that additional jack was added. PCGS Guide is $235 for this date. The vast majority were way over that amount. I know sellers can set their prices to whatever they want, but anyone complaining of slow sales while pricing stuff up in the stratosphere for regular items needs to take a hard look in the mirror. I ended up getting a very nice 1944 on the much maligned Stacks site for $165 with all the juice and fees added in.

That being said, I have been getting a few nice PCGS type coins for good prices in the true auctions.
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    For the past six months especially the prices have been down. It's a combination of many things:

-The economy is not as good as the news media says it is.

-Coins are not used in commerce like they once were due to inflation, plus many transactions take place with no physical exchange of goods. Most of it is electronic like Paypal or personal checks, credit cards, etc. sign of the times ... thus, very few young people are becoming interested in coins.

-Coins are also historically important. The generation growing up generally does not care or know or want to know about history. That's the difference with this generation - not even the technology. Pretty much every generation since the Industrial Revolution of the 1870s has seen great "progress" in terms of technology and inventions. Above all, what's different about this generation today is largely for the first time in history they don't care about history.

In a nutshell: bad economy and fewer younger collectors to fill the shoes of older collectors passing away.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
    I have some 2009 ANACS MS 67 WDDR's that I have been selling in the $100 range for months now that just stopped selling last month so I listed a few with a start price of .99 last sunday which close tomorrow morning.

People are bidding on them so they are out there looking for a bargain but at least they are bidding.

I guess they do like the auctions rather than the BIN's.

We shall see tomorrow if the price gets up high enough to warrant putting some more on auction.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Ebay auction sales from 2002-2008 were always strong. I was only a collector selling duplicates and unwanted coins, not a dealer. I almost always made some money or broke even at least. Left the hobby in 2010-2011. Selling on Ebay from 2012 onward I have lost on 90% of my true auction sales. 80-90% of the losses are due to Ebay's higher seller's fees.

I notice that when I sell, buyers don't pay strong dollar, but when I bid, those a-holes cannot bid high enough on the coins I want to buy image

Most widget coins are overpriced, some exceptionally so. For a non-dealer collector, you are basically looking at a 20% loss, buying on BIN, then turning around and selling at true auction.

Tyler
  • copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Ebay has been impossible for me to sell anything close to my purchase price before the 13% hit on Ebay/Paypal fees....auction or Fixed Fee. I will have to be like many others who relist hundreds of times in order to get a hit.
    These coins I am selling are coins that I have picked out of bank rolls and sent off to be graded so my cost is fairly low.

It is hard to find high quality coins like these though due to the mints handling of them so the amount of good gradable error coins is not high.

I probably have an advantage over what you are selling because my costs are lower.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I heard from a reliable coin dealer that the market is being flooded with widgets image >>

Some MS68 1881-S Morgans PCGS, CAC are less generic than others. . .
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah some have gold bean sticker and some have purple sticker and some have zebra stripe sticker image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been brought up several times here in the forums, the younger crowd isn't collecting, and the older collectors are dying off. >>

Yes, that seems to be a sad reality. I don't get out to shows anymore but from the photos I see posted that were taken at recent shows it appears that most of the dealers and buyers/collectors have gray (or very little) hair. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Things are really bad lately. Ten years ago I could take my $100 paycheck, buy shiney new rolls of coins from the bank
    and turn it into $2,000 easily.

Now I take my $50 paycheck image and have a hard time turning it into a weeks worth of rice and beans. image

Where did the good old days go?

All I can say to that is vote.
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin prices are too high. I can site examples. I won't bore you. Dealer costs to the industry are too high. What's feepay? PayPal or Ebay? or both? Coin prices are too high. There is a bit of structural unemployment still over hanging the entire economy. Coin prices are too high. Just because JA buys a six figure 1893-S for what he considers wholesale doesn't mean he hasn't paid the market price for the coin. Coin prices are too high. Dealers need wide margins to stay in business or high volume. Coin prices are too high. I will bore you if you make me get my pricing during the "greenspan put days" which weren't that long ago. Coin prices are too high. image >>

What was that again...

Coin prices are too high.image
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Coin prices are too high. I can site examples. I won't bore you. Dealer costs to the industry are too high. What's feepay? PayPal or Ebay? or both? Coin prices are too high. There is a bit of structural unemployment still over hanging the entire economy. Coin prices are too high. Just because JA buys a six figure 1893-S for what he considers wholesale doesn't mean he hasn't paid the market price for the coin. Coin prices are too high. Dealers need wide margins to stay in business or high volume. Coin prices are too high. I will bore you if you make me get my pricing during the "greenspan put days" which weren't that long ago. Coin prices are too high. image >>

What was that again...

Coin prices are too high.image >>

Or you could say everyones pay is too low. I haven't had a pay raise in around 7 years. Although I can work O.T. to the tune of
    7 days , 16 hours if I was greedy enough. Lately I'm way too tired to be that greedy.
  • I don't sell a bunch of stuff on ebay but what I do sell when I list it sells fast and for good money. I do not sell many coins though unless I want to buy something else or have bills to pay such as going to AZ for my Mothers surgery. Remember right now people are saving for the upcomming hollidays as the ecconomy has changed in the way it operates. I can tell you I am saving for Xmass right now and not buying coins unless I see a great deal and I would most likely flip that for said hollidays.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very slow. After the start of August things slowed down. I had a little spurt a few weeks ago, bit not much of anything going on since.

I have been offered may 5 digit coins, have not sold one in a while.

But it is all good stuff, and costs very little to keep it listed.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My Ebay auction sales from 2002-2008 were always strong. I was only a collector selling duplicates and unwanted coins, not a dealer. I almost always made some money or broke even at least. Left the hobby in 2010-2011. Selling on Ebay from 2012 onward I have lost on 90% of my true auction sales. 80-90% of the losses are due to Ebay's higher seller's fees.

I notice that when I sell, buyers don't pay strong dollar, but when I bid, those a-holes cannot bid high enough on the coins I want to buy image

Most widget coins are overpriced, some exceptionally so. For a non-dealer collector, you are basically looking at a 20% loss, buying on BIN, then turning around and selling at true auction.

Tyler >>

This is the Catch-22 of the auction venue. When you are buying from an auction, all you need is one other person to bid you up or outbid you. When you are selling on auction, you need two interested parties to spar with each other.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a nutshell: bad economy and fewer younger collectors to fill the shoes of older collectors passing away.

I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

I scanned the room to see that there was one YN present out of the 30-odd customers who had drifted into the room by then. I gave him a nice XF Liberty nickel and a Canadian nickel and the dealer whose table I was at at that moment gave him a darkside piece, plus another dealer gifted him with a 60-coin album. The show promoters were actively operating a YN giveaway as well. I don't know how many showed up after that. I always try to give a coin or two away to YN's at the shows that I visit and I would encourage others to do the same.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> In a nutshell: bad economy and fewer younger collectors to fill the shoes of older collectors passing away.

I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

I scanned the room to see that there was one YN present out of the 30-odd customers who had drifted into the room by then. I gave him a nice XF Liberty nickel and a Canadian nickel and the dealer whose table I was at at that moment gave him a darkside piece, plus another dealer gifted him with a 60-coin album. The show promoters were actively operating a YN giveaway as well. I don't know how many showed up after that. I always try to give a coin or two away to YN's at the shows that I visit and I would encourage others to do the same. >>

It doesn't help any that it's college football season either.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is a distorted marketplace due to best match lately I think. My sales have been odd . I have had oddball items that go a few months without selling( not coins, car parts) one will sell and then BLAM another of the same item sells immediately.

I think some things are being hidden and then a sale raises the listings visibility and other buyers find it and like the item and pull the trigger.

The listing and price are fine all along but buyers don't see them full time.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

It doesn't help any that it's college football season either. >>

Well it was pretty much the same way on Friday when I was at the show....by about 2 pm Fri, I was one of the last non-dealers still on the floor.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>

<< <i>I was at the Collectorama show in Lakeland FL for about two hours yesterday and the place was dead. There was no buzz in the room at all, absolutely none, and I overheard a couple of dealers talking about how the country was in a fear-induced funk. That could be another reason for the current malaise - too much bad news coming from every corner of the globe.

It doesn't help any that it's college football season either. >>

Well it was pretty much the same way on Friday when I was at the show....by about 2 pm Fri, I was one of the last non-dealers still on the floor. >>

Went a local show yestterday and the pop was pretty much gone by mid-morning.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay is a distorted marketplace due to best match lately I think. My sales have been odd . I have had oddball items that go a few months without selling( not coins, car parts) one will sell and then BLAM another of the same item sells immediately.

I think some things are being hidden and then a sale raises the listings visibility and other buyers find it and like the item and pull the trigger.

The listing and price are fine all along but buyers don't see them full time. >>

Have wondered about that for sometime as sometimes I see my own listing (not now as I pulled them) and other times don't when searching for upgrades. image

<< <i>Ebay has been hurting as of lately. My sales are down 50%. Ive ended up adding more bullion to at least keep my numbers looking good. Where I do see growth in my Ebay sales is in Paper Money and Jewelry. Im not very good with either so time for me to get out a book or two. >>

eBayola!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard mostly negative stuff from a couple of dealers at the Lakeland show. One guy has been trying to sell his business and retire, but the market had been too slow for him get any decent offers.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file