Home U.S. Coin Forum

Encapsulation Damage?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do y'all say... Did the prong bend over the excess white metal wire rim on this token image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    Knowing nothing about that specific coin - I'm saying yes. You'll never convince me that the prong just happens to be an absolute perfect match for that damage, unless of course, that's a new holder and the old one did the damage
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure looks like it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the texture of this metal or under what pressure it will bend, but it seems like an unlikely scenario.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know the texture of this metal or under what pressure it will bend, but it seems like an unlikely scenario. >>

White metal is very soft and would be quite fragile being thin.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Yes -

Bingo - the prong was in the 'perfect' area to do it.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know the texture of this metal or under what pressure it will bend, but it seems like an unlikely scenario. >>

White metal is very soft and would be quite fragile being thin. >>

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    The moral of the story is, don't slab medals with fragile wire rims.

Or High Relief $20's, either.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats not a good thing image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say Yes -

Bingo - the prong was in the 'perfect' area to do it. >>

You'd think that someone would have paid attention to what was occurring as to why the coin may have been a bit hesitant to go into the insert?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...

Proof that a picture is worth a thousand words... and even more... yikes

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    Two error coins that I submitted that had thin metal areas were bent by the gasket of a slab (not PCGS). Looks like we have another victim here.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the prong bend over the excess white metal wire rim on this token image] >>

nope. no worry there.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sad things happen to nice coins...this looks like another example here...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, now there is something you do not see everyday.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well on the bright side we now have a new term... PSD = Post Slab Damage image

Shame as it needs to come out of the holder anyway since it was encapsulated with active PVC growth on both the obverse & reverse.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of the prong holders bending some tokens also.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The moral of the story is, don't slab medals with fragile wire rims.

Or High Relief $20's, either. >>

I thought buying raw rare gold was ill advised image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting to see a California gold, as I've heard those have been periodic victims of ED (encapsulation damage, thank you). Nasty what happened to this one.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what does this do to the value? Is there any recourse for the owner? For error submissions are there "custom" holders that allow for errors to be encapsulated w/o damaging the error coin?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

<< <i>I was expecting to see a California gold, as I've heard those have been periodic victims of ED (encapsulation damage, thank you). Nasty what happened to this one. >>

Indeed. I have seen Cal Gold bent by slabbing.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad..... the very purpose of slabbing is preservation.....Cheers, RickO
  • Yep, looks that way. I've had coins get "bent" when slabbing (error coins.)
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Possible for one of y'all to post a list of all Types which have history of ED? or have we already covered the topic (errors and some gold)
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well on the bright side we now have a new term... PSD = Post Slab Damage image

Shame as it needs to come out of the holder anyway since it was encapsulated with active PVC growth on both the obverse & reverse.
    >>

wow, the side with the words (rev?) is pretty obvious.

how sure are you the item wasn't like that pre-slabbing?

i've tinkered with pcgs rubber(?) inserts and i still find it hard to believe that the rings would damage a coin. imo, it isn't that the coins are in there really tight (on average) but that rubber and metal

don't permit much slide. the inserts certainly hold the coins firm but i just can't get there that the pressure is damaging tight? fwiw

either way the item is damaged i guess.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all TPG's should do away with the edge view gasket. Seeing 50% of the edge does nothing for me & the coins looked better in the holder with the full gasket anyway.

If nothing else they should go back to the old gaskets for coins & tokens that would be susceptible to this sort of damage.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file