2015 US Marshals Service Coins Graded by NGC

To be release early next year.

100,000 $5 gold coins; 500,000 silver dollars; and 750,000 clad half-dollars

Finish-Price (intro/regular):
Clad Unc $13.95/$17.95
Clad Proof $14.95/$18.95
Silver Unc $43.95/$48.95
Silver Proof $$46.95/$51.95
Gold will probably be priced on the London fix as usual.

Interesting that 2015 coins were released in 2014. Apparently the law allows it for display and presentation purposes.

"Wanted in Ft. Smith" Really? Shoulda put an Earp brother on there and "Wanted in Tombstone", but that's just me.

I like the silver, the gold and clad don't float my boat. My early WAG prediction is these don't sell out. I may buy a set, but it's another raw set for the collection...

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    I think the reverses of both the Half and the $5 are phenomenal.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the reverses of both the Half and the $5 are phenomenal.

-Paul >>

I agree with you
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the obverse designs of the dollar and the $5 gold... the badge looks sorta cool. It's a shame they didn't design the half dollar in a similar way so that the set would match. Why would the Mint only make 2 of the 3 match??? image
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the reverses of both the Half and the $5 are phenomenal. >>

The half reverse looks clip-arty and confusing to me. I quite like the $5, both sides.

Now imagine the reverse fields of the dollar having the relief of the Gettysburg half obverse -- peripheral lettering up on a plateau with the marshal on a concave field. Modern commemoratives should be able to be made this way.

Also, what's a "Celebration Ceremony"? Anything like a "Festivities Party"? Was this ceremony held at the Department of Redundancy Department?
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[.... Also, what's a "Celebration Ceremony"? Anything like a "Festivities Party"? Was this ceremony held at the Department of Redundancy Department? >>

I believe a celebration ceremony is held by the person who gets the first PR70DCAM. All participants must be ANA members.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, what's a "Celebration Ceremony"? Anything like a "Festivities Party"? Was this ceremony held at the Department of Redundancy Department? >>

Celebration and ceremony are not synonymous.

A funeral is a ceremony, but I wouldn't consider it a celebration.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the dollar's obverse, but one question: Who was wanted in Ft. Smith?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More PC nonsense from the US Mint..
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • The Mint is really running dry of good ideas.
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint is really running dry of good ideas. >>

+1

I'm saving my money for 2016.

That's when the mint will sell the $10 gold versions of the 86th Anniversary of the Stapler commems.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the person who wrote that article never heard of the Bicentennial coins released in 1975.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm saving my money for 2016.

That's when the mint will sell the $10 gold versions of the 86th Anniversary of the Stapler commems. >>

138th, actually. Will they be bimetallic with an embedded palladium staple?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The commemoration is by Congress, the art is by the Mint.

The half has too many props in it and the badge is oddly shaped and held in a seemingly unnatural position.

the other 2 are good. 225 years. It'd be interesting to have had an idea from the early days on one of them, perhaps the half. Too late now.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the looks of that $1 coin and yes, it does look para normal on both coin.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More PC nonsense from the US Mint.. >>

way too many Mint products .. they risk suck the well dry just look at the gold kennedys
    .. the Silver Kennedys are a buy ......look at the 2006 20th Ann silver Eagle set as a guide
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint is really running dry of good ideas. >>

The Mint?

These were required by a Law and then kicked around by the CFA and the (ugh) CCAC.

Sure, a simpler design would have been sufficient but whenever ANYTHING is "designed by committee", it's always going to come out screwed up.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the dollar's obverse, but one question: Who was wanted in Ft. Smith?image >>

Ft Smith, Arkansas
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gee

another way to part suckers with their money
    Is there some agreement not to sell this yet? I'd think one would fetch a lot on eBay.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Gunsmoke, Matt Dillon, Festus and a lot of lore.

Mintage numbers are crazy high

Not a fan.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I like the eagle on the $5 Gold. I wonder if these will be unpopular like the generals gold and possibly an even lower mintage will be sold. Always wondering when the Jackie Robinson will be dethroned.

<< <i>I like the eagle on the $5 Gold. I wonder if these will be unpopular like the generals gold and possibly an even lower mintage will be sold. Always wondering when the Jackie Robinson will be dethroned. >>

Even the Army, MOH and Star Spangled Banner are really low compared to most of the other programs. 10,000 coins sold doesn't mean much of a premium these days.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    The general gold ms came close by about 500 coins from the mintage of the Jackie MS Gold.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse on the $5 gold is awesome! I'd love to see that on circulating coinage.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all 3 designs.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>Gunsmoke, Matt Dillon, Festus and a lot of lore.

Mintage numbers are crazy high

Not a fan. >>

Mintage limits.

Sales are a different story

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>I like the dollar's obverse, but one question: Who was wanted in Ft. Smith?image >>

Tom Chaney.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the $5. I wonder if the mint ever plans on lowering the price of the silver commems to more closely reflect current spot pricing, or if $40+ is the new norm.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Aesthetic failure once again.

50 Cent obverse: Ugly and meaningless. Who is the woman? Why is she on the coin? Is the cowpoke holding a gun or an umbrella?

50 Cent reverse: Way too much stuff in the picture. Why a jug? Why books? Are those items on a table or is the jug floating in the air? Scale and marshal badge are out of proportion to the figure of Justice.

$1 obverse: Looks like a cheap souvenir token from a rodeo.

$1 reverse: Corny and trite. Fits with the rodeo souvenir token theme of the obverse.

$5 obverse. Boring

$5 reverse: Would be a good candidate for a generic eagle design for a circulating or bullion coin. Not memorable for a commem.

CG

• WHPRATTWHPRATT Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    I really like the $5 Gold, particularly the reverse.
    I don't see these on the U.S. Mint's website. I assume that they are there, just lost in the crappy site. Where are they?
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aesthetic failure once again.

50 Cent obverse: Ugly and meaningless. Who is the woman? Why is she on the coin? Is the cowpoke holding a gun or an umbrella?

50 Cent reverse: Way too much stuff in the picture. Why a jug? Why books? Are those items on a table or is the jug floating in the air? Scale and marshal badge are out of proportion to the figure of Justice.

$1 obverse: Looks like a cheap souvenir token from a rodeo.

$1 reverse: Corny and trite. Fits with the rodeo souvenir token theme of the obverse.

$5 obverse. Boring

$5 reverse: Would be a good candidate for a generic eagle design for a circulating or bullion coin. Not memorable for a commem.

CG >>

Coin design, a thankless task. Casting pearls before swine.

In actuality, each of the designs has merit, and they're rather pleasing to the eye. I might actually be buying some commems next year, for the first time in a LONG time. Just for the aesthetics. image
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Love the eagle on the reverse of the $5. Very cool.

-KHayse

<< <i>I don't see these on the U.S. Mint's website. I assume that they are there, just lost in the crappy site. Where are they? >>

The pics are of presentation pieces the mint made. I've no idea who has them.

They will be 2015 issues and it is too early for them to be on the mint's web site.

The other for 2015 is 75th ann of March of Dimes 500k $1
    Is it me or is the OD in IGWT on the half crooked and misshapen?

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the $5. Will likely pass though, limited coin funds....
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Love the $5. Will likely pass though, limited coin funds.... >>

Skip the beer!

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see these on the U.S. Mint's website. I assume that they are there, just lost in the crappy site. Where are they? >>

The pics are of presentation pieces the mint made. I've no idea who has them.

They will be 2015 issues and it is too early for them to be on the mint's web site.

The other for 2015 is 75th ann of March of Dimes 500k $1 >>

I will buy the March of Dimes coin. I had polio as an infant, and the March of Dimes paid for most of the cost of the surgery that allowed me to walk without a brace.

TD
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the reverses of both the Half and the $5 are phenomenal.

-Paul >>

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tom Chaney. >>

• Limited Qny to be released at the Long Beach Expo....
    I wonder how many?

Alex
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I image the obverse of the $5 Gold. I have always liked the Texas Rangers Badge and this coin resembles it image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the eagle on the reverse of the $5. Very cool.

-KHayse >>

The S$1 is nicely done as well. These are the best looking commems I've seen in years.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what they should put in circulation and every one will hoard them up. I know I would cool looking coins. image

Hoard the keys.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why the words "US Marshall" are not on either the obv. or rev. of the 50¢ Comm.? image I mean not everyone knows what a US Marshall's badge looks like.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    The half looks contrived, IMO. The $1 and $5 look great.

I'm sure I'll purchase both.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was planning to pass on this one. I wish that I didn't like them so much. I'll buy one of each from the Mint and keep them raw. I wish that I had more will power to say no!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all three coins, modern designs that are much better than what we have seen lately. image
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know the maximum limit you can purchase at Long Beach? I phoned the US Mint toll free number, and they said to phone the US Treasury.

<< <i>Anyone know the maximum limit you can purchase at Long Beach? I phoned the US Mint toll free number, and they said to phone the US Treasury. >>

Call the 202 mint hq sales counter number and ask

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file