Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase: 1827 - Square Base 2 (O-106) - Capped Bust Half Dollar - PCGS AU-55

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm pleased to share with you a new 1827 (O-106) Capped Bust Half Dollar purchase from the recent Bellaire (Houston) Coin Club Show.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments, thoughts & observations about her. image

1827 - Square Base 2 (O-106) - Capped Bust Half Dollar - PCGS AU-55
imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! MS62 ?
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks nice and unmolested to me...but I'm far from expert on these.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    appears there is some color there that isn't captured in your first set of photos. I like it as a choice AU!
  • Options
    << appears there is some color there that isn't captured in your first set of photos. I like it as a choice AU! >>

Barndog,

In reply to your above quoted post, you're correct that there is some blue peripheral toning surrounding the light brown overall toning on this CBH.

The top set of digital images were adjusted slightly to reduce the brightness, and show a bit more of the toning than the overly bright (bottom set) images that were in my original thread post.

I will attempt to take some of my own digital higher-resolution images of this coin perhaps over the weekend to post as an update to this thread.

1827 - Square Base 2 (O-106) - Capped Bust Half Dollar - PCGS AU-55
    imageimage

imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice....you don't see many like this on the bourses anymore, except at the largest shows.
    Good pickup.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Luv it..image
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    Looks likely that it is an MS coin, maybe even 63 or better. Pics are too small!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    << I like it! MS62 ? >>

<< Looks likely that it is an MS coin, maybe even 63 or better. Pics are too small! >>

Thanks to all for your posts about my new 1827 Capped Bust Half Dollar.

CoinJP & MailBockAddict in reply to your above quoted posts... Believe it or not, this coin currently resides in a PCGS AU-55 holder!! image

I thought that it looked more like AU-58+ to MS-62 in hand, which helped encourage me to purchase it this past weekend.

The digital images in the thread are the original seller's photos. I'll try to take some higher resolution images to post as an update to this thread, perhaps during the weekend.
    I'll let others comment in the thread before posting more info about the coin, including the grade.

(FYI -- If you right click on the photo and select properties, you'll see the grade embedded in the file name) image

Stuart

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure many of us have seen coins with similar (or less) wear in 62 holders. You have a keeper, that's for sure!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up! A fairly early die state too. I have a later die state AU53 and it isn't as nicely impressed as yours.

MS62 wouldn't surprise me. PCGS will pick up a touch of rub and demote to AU, while NGC forgives some. And if there's any compromise to the luster expect PCGS AU55.

A coin like that could be submitted 10 times and I'll bet it would come back MS at least a few times.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    really nice pick up.

Surely undergraded
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Bravo!!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pick-up! A fairly early die state too. I have a later die state AU53 and it isn't as nicely impressed as yours.

MS62 wouldn't surprise me. PCGS will pick up a touch of rub and demote to AU, while NGC forgives some. And if there's any compromise to the luster expect PCGS AU55.

A coin like that could be submitted 10 times and I'll bet it would come back MS at least a few times.
    Lance. >>

Think it's nice and if it ever ends up in MS holder it will stay there.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it has really superior luster.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file