Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best way to see the auction history of a specific coin

Can someone tell me the best way to lookup cert numbers and their history like I see so many of you do to help distinguish counterfeits etc .
SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
RAD#306

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can click on the "PCGS" button the upper right corner of this screen. At the bottom of the resulting page is a post to click on "Certification Verification" which will lead you to a page where you can type in the serial number on a PCGS slab. There may or may not be auction information. It depends upon whether or not a major auction house has sold the coin. NGC has a similar service.

You can also go to the Heritage auction site and search the archives. There you might be able to match up the coin.

Beyond that if you are willing to pay for it, there is "Coin Facts" which is powerful tool that is sold by our hosts. I have used these tools a number times to find out how much a dealer paid for a coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can click on the "PCGS" button the upper right corner of this screen. At the bottom of the resulting page is a post to click on "Certification Verification" which will lead you to a page where you can type in the serial number on a PCGS slab. There may or may not be auction information. It depends upon whether or not a major auction house has sold the coin. NGC has a similar service.

You can also go to the Heritage auction site and search the archives. There you might be able to match up the coin.

Beyond that if you are willing to pay for it, there is "Coin Facts" which is powerful tool that is sold by our hosts. I have used these tools a number times to find out how much a dealer paid for a coin. >>

What Bill said...
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't forget auction prices realized. it's a little different and pretty good for pricing a coin.

auction prices realized

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file