Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Sub-Pop 100 coin

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had the opportunity to purchase a wonderful new quarter eagle which fits in multiple ways into my collection.

1. The estimated population extant on this coin is under 100 (65 per Coinfacts) and next to the 1842 (and the non-collectible 1841) this is one of the rarest and best value in the entire series.
2. I am putting together a run of Philly Quarter Eagles from the 1840's and this dates is a real tough one to find. I now have 1839, 1842 - 1845, 1847 and 1849. All in uncompromising condition.
3. I missed this coin in February as I was moving overseas during the weekend of the auction and Stacks was in the depths of their website redesign. Needless to say I found this coin on the auction about 4 hours after it closed.

Here she is, P53 CAC, followed by the rest of the QE run referenced:

Need a new pic of this 42, it is the nicest EF45 that exists I think out of a total surviving population of about 50-60.

Comments

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive and nicely matched.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have an entire set that looked like the 1844. Very nice image

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Who sees a full date set down the road for Boosibri image
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who sees a full date set down the road for Boosibri image >>

That 41 and 54-S will be a real stopper.... A forum member here has a great quarter eagle set. Hope he chimes in.

I will probably do the 1840's and the Civil War dates.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those are nice quarter eagles. i would really like to see that 44 and the 49 in hand. i like your set criteria.

<< <i>those are nice quarter eagles. i would really like to see that 44 and the 49 in hand. i like your set criteria. >>

The 49 is so attractive it is one of the coins I took with me to Europe to get my fix with since I don't see my coins for 6 months or longer at a time in between trips back to the US. The color is phenomenal, ditto the 47, both from CRO.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    A list of low pop slabs might be of interest to todays hot buyers. image
  • BodinBodin Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    For your age, you are KILLING it!
    Fantastic coins. Thanks for sharing.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins and I am not knocking them at all BUT Lady Liberty sure is DORKY looking on the 1839 image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>Who sees a full date set down the road for Boosibri image >>

That 41 and 54-S will be a real stopper.... A forum member here has a great quarter eagle set. Hope he chimes in.

I will probably do the 1840's and the Civil War dates. >>

I have seen a few gold sets where they go for just the date with no regard to the MM while going for the more obtainable ones. It is a mega set never the less
  • Very nice coins and heck of a set you got going. You have a great eye for gold coins and I always enjoy your posts on them as I am living vicariously through them, thank you.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great run of quarter eagles, Brian.
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yummy, you can't lose with those. Lotta value. You are doing it right!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them all, but love the 1847.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice coins and I am not knocking them at all BUT Lady Liberty sure is DORKY looking on the 1839 image

GrandAm image >>

The eagle also has the largest shield on the 1839!
  • dagman100dagman100 Posts: 147 ✭✭
    That's a beautiful set of coins...
  • Congrats on your recent acquisition. You are making good progress on a nicely matched run of quarter eagles.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Here is a sub-pop 100 quarter eagle that fits your date sequence (albeit a Dahlonega coin). It is the very scarce 1843-D Large D quarter eagle, with a PCGS pop of 20 in all grades. It has a CoinFacts estimate of 40 in all grades. All 3,537 Large D coins were minted on October 7, 1843. I purchased this piece at this year's ANA National Money Show in Atlanta.

The photographs are courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts.

"Clamorous for Coin"
    I recognize the rarity of that 43-D $2.5 GK. Lovely coin.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be in the minority and say I like the 39' the best of all of them in terms of color and surfaces (and the uncluttered design of the reverse). Plus I like coins that have beautiful "ugliness" in their depiction of Lady Liberty!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file