Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Classic Commem ?

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
How much more is an original skin in an older OGH or rattler holder worth? or maybe nothong at all?

I have been seeing blast white coin in the newer holder, but not too many not played with.

Just as an example: Spanish trail in an OGH in MS64.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much prefer to have a non dipped older holder example that's stable then one recently graded.

Depending on the coin + or even the next full grade level pricing might not be out of line.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd much prefer to have a non dipped older holder example that's stable then one recently graded.

Depending on the coin + or even the next full grade level pricing might not be out of line. >>

agreed
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    I will have them for the PAN show in about 3 weeks.

I have about 25 to 30 different commems.

If nothing else it will make a great display.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How much more is an original skin in an older OGH or rattler holder worth? or maybe nothong at all?

I have been seeing blast white coin in the newer holder, but not too many not played with.

Just as an example: Spanish trail in an OGH in MS64. >>

Just to let you know, but MS-64 is actually a low grade for a Spanish Trail half dollar. It is fairly easy to find one in MS-66, and it makes sense to buy it in that grade because the price is not that much higher. The coin's design has a lot of wide open space so every mark shows. The high grade pieces are more desirable, and in this case only a bit more expensive.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above replies. Your coins should sell for the upper range of price for that grade.
    Coins in old holders that are clearly maxed out and so have never been submitted for upgrade are not as desirable as coins fresh to the market that have upgrade potential. The premiums in the latter group are more hefty.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have seen nice coins in old holders are less likely to get lowballed. In other words commems are still weak and often trade below any catalog list price, yours will get closer to list. If they're OGH and toned, it's "kitty bar the door". For examples, look at Pinnacle's site.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    gypsyleagypsylea Posts: 193 ✭✭
    IMHO, some of the OGH commems were blast white dip dogs that have now re-toned, sometimes attractively, sometimes not. Those older holders were not as airtight as they are today. Commem collectors in this market can afford to be picky.
    Collector since adolescent days in the early 1960's. Mostly inactive now, but I enjoy coin periodicals and books and coin shows as health permits.
  • Options
    Those advanced collectors are both pick and knowlegeable.

But when they find right coin they are willing to pay the price.

Those that Only use the grey sheet to buy NEVER seem to have those outstanding coins or collections.

JMHO

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Seems like low grade junk is in most of the Rattlers offered today. If its high grade and has a bean, look out - it's priced
    like a crown jewel.

Sucker Bait ! image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic Commem of any type = Price Guide less 30% it seems.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file