Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Whitman Book Studies the World of John F. Kennedy in Medallic and Coinage Art

New Whitman Book Studies the World of John F. Kennedy in Medallic and Coinage Art

(Atlanta, Georgia) — Whitman Publishing announces the release of The Kennedy World in
Medallic Art: John F. Kennedy and His Family in Medals, Coins, Tokens, and Other Collectibles
by William R. Rice. The 304-page hardcover book can be borrowed for free as a benefit of membership
in the American Numismatic Association, through the Dwight N. Manley Numismatic Library (www.money.org/library).

In this monumental new book, Kennedy historian Rice offers fresh insight on the life and times of the
president. His exploration includes the history of the Kennedy family; JFK’s boyhood; his military service
and early political career; his inauguration and presidency; Jacqueline and the children; life in the White
House; the November 1963 assassination; and the world’s mourning and remembrance.

The story is told through touching and insightful essays illustrated by more than 1,500 images including
coins, medals, tokens, stamps, and other memorabilia. Many are popular and collectible, like the 1964
silver Kennedy half dollar (with its mintage of 429 million coins) and the new 2014 gold Kennedy halves.
Others are rare and seldom seen, and some one-of-a-kind.

“William Rice builds on the foundation that Edward Rochette and Aubrey Mayhew started with their
numismatic studies in the 1960s,” says Whitman publisher Dennis Tucker. “Today’s collector benefits
from full-color images and 50 years of ongoing research. John F. Kennedy is one of the most popular
presidents in American history, and many of these coins, medals, and tokens can be found at local coin
shows, flea markets, antique malls, and online.”

Special sections discuss subjects like satirical and critical pieces; brothers Robert F. and Teddy Kennedy;
the Peace Corps; and paper money issued during the Kennedy administration.

Military challenge coins are given extra attention (with more than 180 images) as are foreign and
domestic “march” medals, commemorative postage covers, world coins, and medal sets. Rice
discusses and illustrates Chinese Hell notes, carved hobo coins, Wedgwood pottery, silver bullion
bars, elongated coins, and many of other categories of Kennedy collectibles.

In addition to colorful historical images and narrative, the book’s scholarly appeal is expanded by
multiple appendices, a bibliography, and a full index. Collectors will benefit from the catalog numbering
system and commentary on today’s buy-sell-trade market. A 52-page appendix catalogs more than 2,670
individual items by date, size, composition, and description.

“Historians will remain deeply indebted to William Rice for his gigantic addition to the field of John F. Kennedy
medallic art and related historical memorabilia,” says noted Kennedy historian Dr. Gerald J. Steinberg.

# # #

The Kennedy World in Medallic Art: John F. Kennedy and His Family in Medals, Coins, Tokens, and Other Collectibles
By William R. Rice; foreword by Dr. Gerald J. Steinberg
ISBN 0794842364
Hardcover, 8.5 x 11 inches • 304 pages • Full color

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the author mentions the "gold coin" that Clare Boothe Luce gave to John Kennedy in September 1942.

Supposedly Kennedy gave it to one of the Solomon Islanders who rescued him after his PT boat accident.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Biuku Gasa was one of the men who rescued Kennedy, and the book includes
    letters written between them years later, when JFK was president. "You will
    always have a special place in my mind and my heart," Kennedy wrote, "and
    I wish you and your people continued prosperity and good health."

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great feature on the Kennedys. Thanks for sharing it with us Kennedy coin lovers too, Dennis! The last page of the brothers together is so solemn and so special. image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed very much the history presented within this book. The coins/medals were very interesting. I was unaware of most of the items presented in the book.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
  • DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that the book has been reusing the Edward C. Rochette catalog numbers from his 1966 book titled:

Medallic Portraits of John F. Kennedy

Image is of K-62-1 in my collection.

Medal was struck by the US Mint specifically for President Kennedy's use. Only 300 where struck. Medal was used by Kennedy for his 1963 trip to Ireland.

Rochette's book provides acknowledgement to Frank Gasparro (Chief Engraver US Mint) and Miss Eva Adams (Director of the Mint) which collaborated the description that the medal was struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia and has a mintage of 300.

If you look carefully on the obverse, F. GASPARRO can be seen at the bottom of Kennedy suit (look at the truncation area close to the lapel).

On the reverse you can see the initials FG that is in a similar location as in the Kennedy Half dollar.

So do you think this reverse (all design element from the 50 stars inward) was the model for the Kennedy half dollar?

By the way, this is a new class of US medals, known as POTUS Appreciation Medals. POTUS stands for President of the United States of America. More information can be read at:

POTUS Appreciation Medals
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I noticed that the book has been reusing the Edward C. Rochette catalog numbers from his 1966 book titled:

Medallic Portraits of John F. Kennedy

Image is of K-62-1 in my collection.

Medal was struck by the US Mint specifically for President Kennedy's use. Only 300 where struck. Medal was used by Kennedy for his 1963 trip to Ireland.

Rochette's book provides acknowledgement to Frank Gasparro (Chief Engraver US Mint) and Miss Eva Adams (Director of the Mint) which collaborated the description that the medal was struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia and has a mintage of 300.

If you look carefully on the obverse, F. GASPARRO can be seen at the bottom of Kennedy suit (look at the truncation area close to the lapel).

On the reverse you can see the initials FG that is in a similar location as in the Kennedy Half dollar.

So do you think this reverse (all design element from the 50 stars inward) was the model for the Kennedy half dollar?

By the way, this is a new class of US medals, known as POTUS Appreciation Medals. POTUS stands for President of the United States of America. More information can be read at:

POTUS Appreciation Medals >>

Welcome aboard.

I enjoy collecting the Kennedy medals since he was (is) so popular.

Thanks for the info.
    Tempus fugit.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not only does this book look really high quality and thorough, but posting all those pages here for us to read (for free) is a very cool gesture IMO.

I had no idea Jennifer Garner was in the family tree.

Definitely adding this to my Hanukkah list image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Dick Johnson wrote a review of the book for The E-Sylum (you can
    read it here, in the November 2, 2014, issue).

He says that "Rice's Kennedy book could serve as a model for future medal authors" and that
    "Three features dominate this book, notably: the absolutely stunning photographs, the artistic
    layout, and the wide diversity of the associated items Bill Rice has gathered to supplement
    his medals."

He also notes: "The section on challenge coins is impressive. Because these collectables did not exist
    when Rochette created his numbering system, Bill Rice had to create a new class of numbers, KCC.
    The Kennedy connection is with the USS John F. Kennedy Aircraft Carrier, which spawned many
    challenge medals. The 12-page section of these illustrates 92 items, many in enamel color with most
    produced by Northwest Territorial Mint, a sister firm of Medallic Art Company."

and

"At the end of a telephone interview the author extolled the art department at Whitman Publishing
    for their excellent artistic layout of the book. He stressed that praise several times. This writer echoes
    that sentiment."

Read Dick Johnson's review here.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file