Home U.S. Coin Forum

Blackout for the rest of the month at the U.S. Mint

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
See for yourself
This probably won't slow modern collectors, though.
Will it ?

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like a typical U.S. govt agency will do, they are working hard on screwing things up at the highest cost possible.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. A better gift than those free bags. Please remain shut down for a while.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really a joke. Shut down the whole operation for a minor computer upgrade. The US Gubbermint at its finest.

• << <i>Just like a typical U.S. govt agency will do, they are working hard on screwing things up at the highest cost possible. >>

No better words can describe the situation.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who do not like clicking on LINKS, here is a screenshot of the mint's site , currently.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another thing I did not want to do. image
    Think I lost enough money there already.
  • When the mint site pops back up, what will be missing?
    Is there anything we should have bought last week?
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, for those who just love to complain about the Mint, I've frequently had my online banking (at several banks) be taken offline for an entire weekend or more for "system upgrades"...and that actually cuts people off from their money.

And then we've also had other banks and multiple major retailers have sensitive account data stolen for millions of their customers.

So compared to that, this software upgrade at the Mint seems like rather small potatoes to me...and is just part of doing business these days, for both private and public entities.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is really a joke. Shut down the whole operation for a minor computer upgrade. The US Gubbermint at its finest. >>

Yes, a company in the "dreaded private sector" would avoid something like this almost at all costs.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem, nor should it be......Cheers, RickO
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One nice thing...they will be offering more shipping options. image

No more waiting 21 days to get delivery image

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is really a joke. Shut down the whole operation for a minor computer upgrade. The US Gubbermint at its finest. >>

Yes, a company in the "dreaded private sector" would avoid something like this almost at all costs. >>

Yes, and the site turns out like that of Stacks for the past year -- a steaming pile of ... image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ops are moving from Indiana back to Memphis
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a problem, nor should it be......Cheers, RickO >>

As was indicated before, the entire cs & ops are moving....new vendor.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

As was indicated before, the entire cs & ops are moving....new vendor. >>

Is it a new vendor or did they just move the fulfillment center to a modernized facility in another city?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes, a company in the "dreaded private sector" would avoid something like this almost at all costs. >>

Yes, and the site turns out like that of Stacks for the past year -- a steaming pile of ... image >>

When it comes the quality of their website, the attitude of Stacks' management is beyond comprehension. image

But believe me it is hurting them in the short and long run.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>See for yourself
    This probably won't slow modern collectors, though.
    Will it ? >>

<yawn>
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't vote. I was looking for the "who cares" option...
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it a new vendor or did they just move the fulfillment center to a modernized facility in another city? >>

The Mint changed their vendor less than 1 year ago. I suspect it's the same new vendor.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it a new vendor or did they just move the fulfillment center to a modernized facility in another city? >>

The Mint changed their vendor less than 1 year ago. I suspect it's the same new vendor. >>

Actually the old vendor, Pitney Bowes Government Solutions, part of Pitney Bowes Management Services, and PBMS was bought by NOVITEX and became the mint's fulfillment vendor.

So my question was is there another new fulfillment vendor or did NOVITEX move to Tennessee and is still the fulfillment vendor?

The first box shipped after October 1st with its Tennessee return address will reveal all.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor computer upgrade? Are you serious? Do you even know what they're doing?
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Mint changed their vendor less than 1 year ago. I suspect it's the same new vendor. >>

Actually the old vendor, Pitney Bowes Government Solutions, part of Pitney Bowes Management Services, and PBMS was bought by NOVITEX and became the mint's fulfillment vendor.

So my question was is there another new fulfillment vendor or did NOVITEX move to Tennessee and is still the fulfillment vendor?

The first box shipped after October 1st with its Tennessee return address will reveal all. >>

They completely changed fulfillment companies. The new company is PFSWeb. Here's their current list of clients: PFSWeb clients

Here's the press release from a year ago: United States Mint Selects PFSweb's End2End eCommerce® Platform

Not only will there be a completely new web site front-end, but a completely new back-end (not the same computers, nor even the same facilities), nor the same distribution facilities. (Novitex was in Indy, PFSWeb will be operating out of Memphis and DFW, I believe.)

So this isn't just a simple transition to some new software. This will be an entirely new system from start to finish. (I'm just hoping my order history is retained...)
    Mints website is up and running. You will need to reset your password add your credit card and redo your "subscriptions" now called: enrollments. It did not take long to navigate and get familiar with their new lay out.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mints website is up and running. You will need to reset your password add your credit card and redo your "subscriptions" now called: enrollments. It did not take long to navigate and get familiar with their new lay out. >>

Home Page

^ LQQKs good ^
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    FYI, PFS Web was the previous fulfillment vendor for the Mint. Things have been screwed up ever since they farmed out the distribution to a vendor. Back when fulfillment was run out of the various Mint facilities, it was MUCH more efficient, less costly and all around better. However, the need to outsource for ego related reasons from persons LONG gone from the Mint has killed all in house IT talent and now they are left to various vendors who have butchered the system for over 10 years.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file