Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

my grading skills

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sent some Morgans and Peace dollars to our host to be graded.

Most of the Morgans came back 64 or better.

Now the Peace Dollars are another story.

It was sooo bad I will not say. Yes it was that bad. I can't grade those peace dollars at all. (Mint state that is)

time to go to bar and have a fewimage
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I sent some Morgans and Peace dollars to our host to be graded.

Most of the Morgans came back 64 or better.

Now the Peace Dollars are another story.

It was sooo bad I will not say. Yes it was that bad. I can't grade those peace dollars at all. (Mint state that is)

time to go to bar and have a fewimage >>

You are not alone.
    I have seen many a ms64 Peace that looked gem+ to me.
    Somebody once explained to me that it was all about strike.
    I didn't buy it.
    I just thought that it was more about creating overblown Rarity.
    We dont downgrade most coins a grade or two because they are not EDS full strikes.
    We grade them as best we can and then just add attributions as warranted.
    Improper grading drives collectors away.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have some skills to hone as Peace $1's aren't any harder then Morgan's image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I am happy that Peace dollar collectors are a much smaller base than Morgans.

I still believe peace dollars are harder to grade than morgan. JMHO
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars: A series where an MS64 might cost you $60, and an MS66 of the same date costs $12,500. And nobody can tell the difference between the coins except the PCGS graders. image

(My slightly exaggerated way of saying this series is difficult to grade).
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like you have some skills to hone as Peace $1's aren't any harder then Morgan's image >>

As someone who does not collect or grade either one, I find Morgans to be much easier. In my experience it seems Morgans are just a matter of gauging the number and severity of hits and I am usually within 1 point on GTG. Peace dollars seem a lot more nuanced with luster and strike playing a bigger role and my personal guesses are usually all over the place.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Peace Dollars have always been tough for me. I promise you're not alone. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect either actively, but I also find Morgans very easy to grade consistently and Peace dollars among the more difficult series to grade.

Apologies for the multiple posts.

Tom

• Options

Tom

• Options

Tom

• Options

Tom

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of slider Peace dollars out there. Tons. I think they're reasonably hard to grade........ It's not just strike either.

I find the AU58-MS63 range to be a muddled mess. It's easier up or down from there.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent several year putting together a set of MS64+ Peace dollars (which I later sold). I think they're very difficult to grade in MS. I never got the hang of it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    I dont have my references handy, but I remember reading (perhaps in a Scott Travers book) that according to a grader, the modern, low relief design of the Peace dollar made it much harder to grade than other coins like morgans, especially in the mid unc ranges 64 - 66. Perhaps someone can find the reference.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Pat, did you pull a MadMarty??image
  • Options
    Keets, not mad just confusedimage

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In grading Peace dollars, you need to smell that luster from a mile away before you get a grade. Once you have an eye for that, it's still hard!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps if you could shed some insight on what you thought would pan out and what not, an understanding where your grading skills stand, this would be helpful in determining where you went wrong. For instant, off the top of my head, Peace dollars are notorious for weak strikes and even professional graders get confused with what is wear versus details that were never imprinted onto the planch.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat, Marty's learning curve with Franklin Half-Dollars and Washington Quarters was a gentle slope for a while, he had a knack for submitting AU58's. once he figured it out he made some fairly impressive scores and I assume that's the direction you're headed in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file