Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint Lost 55 Million

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just saw in the WSJ today that the Mint lost 55 Million making 1c last year with the cost of each cent around 1.82 cents to make.....thought it interesting....what do you think?
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Time to quit making them or put them on a diet. Drop them to 3c silver size. Try making them out of aluminum. While we are changing things. Bring back the half dime and drop the nickel.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try making them out of aluminum. >>

Aluminium can be copper plated but it would be cool to have non-plated ones as well.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I don't know why we need to make billions every year. There's plenty already in circulation to satisfy us for the next 100 years (give or take).
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    If you make them out of Aluminum you would need to completely change the design to not confuse them with Dimes (thing 20c debacle of 1875/1876)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The WSJ missed the other half of the story -- the nickel lost $49.5 million in FY2013. The FY ends the end of Sept. The nickel costs 9.41 cents to make and distribute to the FRBs.

As for aluminum, the mint has already said there is no other metal choice for the cent.

Aluminum, Iron and Zinc have comparable costs with no other metals cheaper. So, changing to another metal from the Zincoln is not an option.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many cents do you figure are stashed away...sitting in jars and buckets? What would it take to circulate them again, and stop minting more for years (or forever)?

What if the gov't made each cent worth three? Would that do it?
    Lance.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually we Canadians are one step behind the US in everything that happens, but in this case, since we've dropped our cent, we're 'one' up on you (pardon the pun).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about that silver, gold and platinum ?
    The mint loses more money with employees taking bathroom breaks every day.
    Real productivity starts with the scent.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many cents do you figure are stashed away...sitting in jars and buckets? What would it take to circulate them again, and stop minting more for years (or forever)?

What if the gov't made each cent worth three? Would that do it?
    Lance. >>

I blame the forum member who has those HUGE barrels full of Wheaties in his garage image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Most of the cost comes from cost of production and distribution, not actual metal costs. IIRC, you could make them out of paper and it would still cost more than 1c to make them. >>

Let's make the metal cost high so the rest of the "cost of goods sold" is low.

FY2013 cent cost of goods sold - $0.0156 per cent.

During FY2013 zinc was never $1 per pound, but under instead. Today it is about $1.03. Coinflation shows a metal value of $0.005958 per cent. My neglect of the copper variance should be apparent already.

1.56 cents minus 0.60 cents is 0.96 cents. Then there is the SG&A overhead of $0.0025 and distribution to the Fed Res of $0.0002

All of this adds to over 1 cent for 1 cent.

If metal were donated, they couldn't make and distribute them for under 1 cent.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The WSJ missed the other half of the story -- the nickel lost $49.5 million in FY2013. The FY ends the end of Sept. The nickel costs 9.41 cents to make and distribute to the FRBs.

As for aluminum, the mint has already said there is no other metal choice for the cent.

Aluminum, Iron and Zinc have comparable costs with no other metals cheaper. So, changing to another metal from the Zincoln is not an option. >>

I also said make them smaller, maybe 3c silver size. At that size they should not be confused with dimes.
  • Options
    With the non-metal portion of the cent costs at 1.23 cents per cent, I wonder if reduced size would lower those costs to under 1 cent.

The size change may not or may be addressed in their every other year report to congress. I haven't looked, but the report is generally for composition evaluation. There will be a new report this year.

• Options
    Here's an offensive idea :

Stop producing the cent and nickel

Instead produce them under contract for wal-mart and McDonald's who would be allowed to advertise on them. image

The Sam Walton Cent and the Ronald McDonald Nickel!

Instead of $50 million in losses each year -- each -- maybe we could swing $50 million in advertising profits per year!

We're saved!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't read the article, but I guess I really don't care if the Mint loses money on the cent and/or nickel. That's just a couple of their products anyways. I'm sure they profit quite a bit on the other denominations and on the collectors coins they make, most likely more than enough to cover any losses on the cent and nickel.

Sure, it's clear the Mint could profit a little more if they ditched the cent and nickel, but in comparison to the total US budget the numbers are fairly insignificant. The role of the Mint is to produce coinage to facilitate commerce... not to make a profit. Also can't think of too many other government agencies that make a profit so even if the Mint just broke even at the end of the day they're miles ahead of the rest of the government.
  • Options
    Pennies should be made from Necco wafers.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.O. loses much more. Gov't does not seem too concerned with profit. Just functions to provide the means to keep the economy functional. Move the mail,create coinage/paper. Even the airlines don't profit greatly and sometimes not at all. But they move people to destinations for business,vacations. All to keep the economy moving.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop making them for circulation. Include them in proof sets and mint sets and perhaps sell rolls of cents to collectors at the actual production and handling costs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Here's an offensive idea :

Stop producing the cent and nickel

Instead produce them under contract for wal-mart and McDonald's who would be allowed to advertise on them. image

The Sam Walton Cent and the Ronald McDonald Nickel!

Instead of $50 million in losses each year -- each -- maybe we could swing $50 million in advertising profits per year!

We're saved! >>

Hey, why limit it to the big Corps?
    Why not just let people send in a photograph of themselves.
    You pay for the production of x number of pennies and we will put you on them.
    We could call them Vanity cents, or maybe Trumps.
    Imagine a "The Donald" coin. We could gold plate those ones.
    They could advertise them on HSN and FOX.
    It would be as close as he will ever get to actually being on one.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    What's is 55 million when we are 20 trillion in debt.

Advertising on the nations coinage would just validate to the American people we are a corporatocracy.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint is loosing $$ in producing the cent & nickel, but that loss is more than offset by the profits made on the dime, quarter, half (sold to collectors only) and $1 coin (also sold only to collectors)
    The US Mint is one of the few quasi Federal Agencies, that shows a profit on their books and does not require "Stimulus Money."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Swallow our pride and follow the lead of the Canadians, stop using 1c, make coins out of stainless steel (looks great and lasts forever). add the $1 & $2 coins while weaning off the $1 bill.
    Paul
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certain that huge loss of money is not from simply producing the cent. Don't forget we're talking about a government agency here. I will not buy their math and I'm sure they
    can make the cent for less than the cost of one cent if they really wanted to. I'm sure there are lots of shear political reasons they lose money on it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Government workers are overpaid. It's not the _______ penny that costs too much.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure, it's clear the Mint could profit a little more if they ditched the cent and nickel, but in comparison to the total US budget the numbers are fairly insignificant. >>

A million here, a million there...pretty soon, we're talking about real money.

Need we say it again?

Get rid of the penny and the nickel (when people stop leaning over to pick them off the ground, that's when you stop making them). Get rid of the paper dollar, while you're at it.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think one of the problems is that the Mint is just another jobs program and reducing production means reducing staff and heaven forbid that a government job goes away.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm shorting Coinstar.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>I'm shorting Coinstar. >>

lol
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Get rid of the penny and the nickel (when people stop leaning over to pick them off the ground, that's when you stop making them). >>

You'd think a government would be embarrased to have its money littering
    the streets. Can you imagine the reaction of ancient emperors to learning
    that coins with their own bust on them weren't worth picking up? They'd pro-
    bably execute the head of the mint.

It's a wonder religious folks aren't up in arms about the "Godlessness" of hav-
    ing the Lord's name littering streets. Leave it off a few dollars inadvertantly
    and they go ballistic but intentionally make coins so worthless that they litter
    everything and this is OK.

Maybe we need to start a rumor that spreading worthless coins about is a first
    step in taking IGWT off the coins. image (mebbe I will short Coinstar as well, eh?)

I'd change the nickel to aluminum and within a few years of rationalizing the
    coinage system I'd shrink its size. Recalling the old large aluminum and cu/ ni
    five cent coins would pay for the transitions.

Pennies need to be recalled for proper disposal. The remaining copper in cir-
    circulation will nearly pay the cost for this.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Canadian, this made me chuckle.
  • Options
    If they want to go aluminum maybe they can just monetize all those Mardi Gras doubloons.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Save 50% mint them every other year for starters.
  • Options

<< <i>I think one of the problems is that the Mint is just another jobs program and reducing production means reducing staff and heaven forbid that a government job goes away. >>

I'll think your 100% right.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that wants to get rid of the cent must be part of a conspiracy between big corporations and other merchants, all of which are licking their chops at the prospects of rounding all of their prices up to the nearest nickel, thereby screwing the little people, penny by penny. And as for the Mint's costs and savings, well, most of the people who are scared of getting fleeced out of their pennies probably don't pay taxes anyway. But they do vote!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    We just need to cut production numbers, silly boys. And a bounty on copper cents might be better than passing a law banning the melting of them. image Flat tax ? in 5% increments. Gotta love it.
  • Options

<< <i>Save 50% mint them every other year for starters. >>

That would boost the popularity of mint sets in the non-production years.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    As long as the lobby money flows, nothing will change. This is the only reason we still have the paper dollar, the nickel and the penny.

The life span of a one dollar bill is less than 1 year. For a modern dollar coin, its 20 years. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. But you can go online and see politician after politician feed us line after line of total BS telling us why the paper dollar must still exist. It should make everyone VERY angry that our tax dollars are being wasted like this.

Then again, how many dollars a day are we p_ssing away in Afghanistan? Its makes the money being wasted on unneeded coinage seem like chump change.
    After a trillion dollars and thousands of lives spent fighting terror, how was a group called ISIS able to become so powerful? Who's in charge here !!!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>As long as the lobby money flows, nothing will change. This is the only reason we still have the paper dollar, the nickel and the penny.

The life span of a one dollar bill is less than 1 year. For a modern dollar coin, its 20 years. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. But you can go online and see politician after politician feed us line after line of total BS telling us why the paper dollar must still exist. It should make everyone VERY angry that our tax dollars are being wasted like this.

Then again, how many dollars a day are we p_ssing away in Afghanistan? Its makes the money being wasted on unneeded coinage seem like chump change.
    After a trillion dollars and thousands of lives spent fighting terror, how was a group called ISIS able to become so powerful? Who's in charge here !!!! >>

Follow the Money.
  • Options
    Maybe the lobbies are part of the issue but I think that a bigger factor is that people do not like lugging around coins. I hardly ever start the day by putting coins in my pocket to spend.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    When you understand that it is not the mint that loses $55M it is only the US citizen that loses $55M. Minting coinage is profitable from every angle and boondoggles are even more profitable. Under the Obama administration only total economic failure is considered success.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you understand that it is not the mint that loses $55M it is only the US citizen that loses $55M. >>

But there are roughly 319 million of us sharing that bill... so it's really only costing each of us about 17 cents per year for the Mint to keep producing cents image

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Like other have said, in essence, the story is misleading when the fact is, the profit margin of the mint surely
    outweighs any lose they may incur from making 1c and 5c coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Like other have said, in essence, the story is misleading when the fact is, the profit margin of the mint surely
    outweighs any lose they may incur from making 1c and 5c coins. >>

Maybe if there profit margins were better they could sell their collector coins for less.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me if I run over someone else's idea here - I didn't have time to read through all of the posts, but wanted to respond anyway...

First things first...they whine about how it costs more than a cent to make a cent and more than a nickel to make a nickel - but the workhorse of our coin economy is the quarter, and it only costs a few cents to make those. Same thing for dimes. They are still making profitable seniorage on those, what ever happened to cost-averaging?

Second thing...we are WAY past due in getting rid of the cent. It makes NO logical sense to keep them. End of story, find something else to do, make, or whatever to keep jobs. Pennies are NOT the answer any more.

Nickels could be made of nickel plated copper, or better yet - clad! They could probably be made with quarter stock cut into nickel blanks. Softer, cheaper to make, and they already have the stock! They are all worried about vending machines and the electronic signature being wrong...umm, hullo? Most things in vending machines are multiples of 25 cents now. People don't USE nickels and dimes in vending machines (majority, anyway).

Our country is mired in red tape about getting rid of the $1 note, the cent, making billions of coins that will NEVER be spent (half dollars, dollars)...it's a joke. Honestly, laughing stock of the world.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for the states to step up and make their own cents.

They used to make sales tax tokens for the purpose of making change in 1/10¢ and 1/2¢ denominations.

I don't see any difference now. The only reason we need a cent is to make change with the added sales tax that states impose.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

<< <i>.....the workhorse of our coin economy is the quarter, and it only costs a few cents to make those. Same thing for dimes. They are still making profitable seniorage on those, what ever happened to cost-averaging? >>

Excellent point.

I really don't know what the problem is that so many people have with the cent. I am 100% against rounding. Don't try to convince me this is a good idea because in the end the
    consumer will NEVER win and always get screwed a few cents at a time. I say keep the penny and put somebody competent in charge to find a way to make it profitable. Additionally
    from a collector's standpoint, I think cents are important to the hobby. It's likely that almost every kid that becomes a collector started with cents. JMO.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw in the WSJ today that the Mint lost 55 Million making 1c last year with the cost of each cent around 1.82 cents to make.....thought it interesting....what do you think? >>

I think that this needs to make National News.

Could you imagine the our cry if a government official made off with 55 Million Dollars?
    What about a 55 Million Dollar Bank Heist?
    How about a 55 Million Dollar Home for a US Senator?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's all politics.

Who says they're supposed to profit from making each coin, it's nice if they do but I don't think it was the intention. In the past when coins were silver or gold or large copper cents, the metal plus manufacturing cost probably didn't make much of a profit. Consider that the coins didn't last forever, after a few years they got whatever was left of the coins back and spent money again to make fresh new coins and that repeats as coins wear out. They profit on bills but in reality making bills or coins isn't done to profit, it's done to allow commerce then they get tax from the commerce. Their job should be making what is needed for commerce as cheaply as possible.

I doubt they truly make a profit on any of the NCLT that they make so much of now. It's all in the accounting methods. Most things even baseball or Kennedy gold coins are low mintage and short lived. By the time they buy the metal blanks that eats most of the gross. If they say they "profit" I bet they're not truly including all of the real costs like a private company would consider. Their workers making dies and running the mint get good pay and benefits and healthcare and pensions. They probably assume they have a workforce and the mints buildings and presses for circulating coins and NCLT is gravy. In reality a private company would probably slash the workforce, merge into one bigger mint and focus on their real high volume job of making coins for commerce. Look at the real costs of these things, mint people going to shows and setting up shipping and orders and dealing with returns. Congress wasting their time to make bills and vote on what NCLT to make next if we include those costs? This is the government, it cost them billions to set up a non functional website for healthcare. I'd hate to see how much they spend on their website and artists and photography and die making and equipment and consider that in the past they only made circulating coins and needed no website and sold the proofs and mintsets by cheapo post card order forms. They don't need to market coins so they don't need frequent re-designs like the quarters which I'm sure cost a lot for every new design.
    I'm sure people will say they "profit" on stuff but I seriously doubt it. Compare what they do with how efficiently a no pork system would get the same job done. It's not a question of profit on individual coins, it's a question of how much they spend to get their core job done. They could eliminate cents and nickels which would probably reduce half (or more) of the total coins needed and mothball or close everything but one mint and get their core job done for much less money. The only benefit of the way they do it now is it keeps industry happy by using metals and employs some workers in non-essential jobs like a job program but it costs a lot to do it. Using the word "profit" for anything they do is a joke.
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file