Home U.S. Coin Forum

does anyone know if the TPG's use a grading set to help.....

...in their grading process? and if so which of them do, just curious and wondering if you think they should if they don't.image
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS does have a grading set and they have displayed it at Long Beach before. Pretty cool. They also had a few cases of various problem coins on display at one show that they keep for the graders to reference.

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS does have a grading set and they have displayed it at Long Beach before. Pretty cool. They also had a few cases of various problem coins on display at one show that they keep for the graders to reference. >>

...interesting and thanks! I wonder if other TPG's use the sets also? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you need a grading set to help you grade coins, you don't belong in a grading room at a TPGs offices. >>

I would tend to agree. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they are referenced for uncommon coins/grades, such as is this trime a G04 or G06?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Is the referenced grading set the one they use in their photograde app?
    Paul
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would seem fairly inefficient to actually USE the grading sets while grading. Particularly since there would have to be a couple dozen sets?!

And what a waste of good coins, in those hard to find series!

Nah....Any grading sets that exist are just for show. They'd be better off with a book of photos if/when they really need to see how to apply the "standard".
    Easily distracted Type Collector

• << <i>PCGS does have a grading set and they have displayed it at Long Beach before. Pretty cool. They also had a few cases of various problem coins on display at one show that they keep for the graders to reference. >>

I have only seen it for morgans. did they have other coin series too ?
  • They do use the sets, though probably more for testing potential graders and occasional brush up if a particular grader keeps disagreeing with the consensus grade and the finalizer. I believe they only have full sets for the most popular series.

The problem coins and market acceptable coins are also useful as a reference.

Keep in mind that most new graders start with ultra moderns and work their way up to classic series. The reference sets are a good brush up before going live with box after box of coins.

Live coins are infinitely better than images. A person can't get to the finer points of professional grading from images. Tilting and rotating are part of the process.

/edit to add: I have seen the PCGS grading set of Morgans in person. The sad thing and telling thing is like 80% of the education stuff, and perhaps 80% of the collectors at any large show, there was virtually no one viewing this valuable resource and asking questions.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the graders I have talked with, PCGS has reference grading sets. Although they did not discuss in detail how the sets were used, the sets are not used in the grading room the way collectors use a grading book. Considering that graders generally spend under 10 seconds grading a coin, to routinely refer to a grading set would be impractical.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need a grading set to help you grade coins, you don't belong in a grading room at a TPGs offices.

yeah, this is the Mantra chanted right after a CoinMonk states with conviction that he can accurately grade from an online picture.image

read the post above mine.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...thanks for all the replies/comments. I appreciate it... image
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine they would be useful when there is a real challenge between what the grader and the finalize say is the grade. They are mostly used for training and reference. Also, darn cool to have as a baseline for everyone to look at.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you need a grading set to help you grade coins, you don't belong in a grading room at a TPGs offices. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file