Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Can PCGS Promote / Condone Doing This to Coins?

I suppose the title is really a rhetorical question of sorts as obviously CU is a for profit corporation that thrives on generating revenues from services they provide, however promoting dipping out and re-slabbing attractive and original coins for a fee seems like it should be a big taboo for an industry perceived top tier grading service IMO.

I just watched this PCGS clip: PCGS Clip and was really surprised to see the subject coin in the promotional video (a WLH which looked to have toning very similar to that classic "Eliasberg Collection" type of toning being dipped away to reveal just another washed out and stripped generic white coin......and PCGS somehow feels this is a really good idea and a service to collectors and the hobby?

I remember years ago when NGC came out with their version of "chemically improving coins for a fee" service, and they had a color brochure promoting their new service and showing numerous before and after shots of coins they felt they had improved. The one coin in that brochure I still remember was this original looking proof Liberty gold piece that had that nice original slightly cloudy look to the fields and creamy cameo devices as their "before" pic, and this washed out and flat looking stripped coin as their "after" pic. At the time I thought what they were doing was borderline criminal, and I now find it rather disturbing that other large firms have thrown their hats in the 'dipping for dollars' ring.

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why. I pay for membership to submit and get to coin facts. Some of the facts make me scratch my head. Some make me scratch my orbs.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    PCGS is the biggest hypocrite in numismatics regarding coin doctoring.

First they file a lawsuit against people that engage in such activities, then shortly thereafter they turn it into a business model!
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

Really Stone? Adding putty or tooling is the same as exposing the original surface?

edited out the offending quote.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Most people don't think dipping is the same as puttying, only a few use that as an excuse for coin doctoring by claiming the TPG's do it all the time.
  • It is a lousy idea to dip any reasonably valuable coin. You never know what the dip will reveal, and there is a fair chance you wont like what you are left with.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tread lightly friends, I'd hate to see anyone given an irrevocable vacation from the forum.
  • Is it truly a bad thing to have a company that has extensive knowledge in coin restoration offer that service to their clients? They restore coins under their guarantee for puttied coins and the like so why not do so before that coin gets in a holder? Everyone who collects coins is comfortable removing contaminants and hazing from the surfaces of their coins as evidenced by the threads about acetone and jewel luster. I would think some would prefer an expert do the conservation.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is only doing what you ask them to do. Get mad at the owner of the coin, who can do whatever he wants with his property.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the unrestored version of the coin in the promo video.
    They say they will not restore a coin just to make it white... then they (PCGS) do just that... I don't get it!
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS is the biggest hypocrite in numismatics regarding coin doctoring.

First they file a lawsuit against people that engage in such activities, then shortly thereafter they turn it into a business model! >>

+1

Dipping is doctoring. There's no need to dip common coins. If its a coin that has less than a few hundred examples then conserving the coin is one thing. Dipping the original skin off a coin that there are millions of examples in existence is only an exercise to improve value because TPGs reward luster not true originality.

Once a coin is removed from the environment that imparted the toning there's no reason to "save the coin" and dip off the surface layer of toning - that is for all intents and purposes - actually protecting the coin from further damage.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS is only doing what you ask them to do. Get mad at the owner of the coin, who can do whatever he wants with his property. >>

Yes, but my understanding of the restoration service was that PCGS also used their judgment when it came to doing this and didn't blindly follow the submitter's orders. While the toning on the original coin is not stunning by any stretch of the imagination, it also original toning that isn't unsightly. They should have chosen a truly ugly coin to show the benefit, rather than one that some will see as having been harmed by restoration.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I much prefer the unrestored version of the coin in the promo video. >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoration is a great service they offer. If they picked a hazy proof coin that they turned into a beautiful deep cameo there would be few complaints.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, that was a pretty poor choice of an example to show. Um, the "before" was much nicer.

Might as well have showed the stripped-and-dipped Norweb '93-S Morgan. Yeeech.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the market wants "white". It is just a business decision.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Agreed, that was a pretty poor choice of an example to show. Um, the "before" was much nicer.

Might as well have showed the stripped-and-dipped Norweb '93-S Morgan. Yeeech. >>

Oh yes, that famous superb gem 1893-S dollar. Nearly forgot about that one, and the number they did on that coin, LOL.

That Norweb 93-S should forever stand as the poster child against 'coin improvement for a fee' services IMO.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the web page that describes the service says there is a ten dollar evaluation fee. The submission form says there's a $25 evaluation fee. Hmmm.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tread lightly
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the market wants "white". It is just a business decision. >>

Wondering how many of Ricko's family members make up that market imageimageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used this service on a 1883-CC MS65 DMPL that had spotted over time in the holder. I was very pleased with the coin after they restored it back to it's original look when I had first acquired it. I do not consider this doctoring a coin since nothing was added to it like putty, whizzing, thumbing, frost, or other means of false misrepresentation.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the web page that describes the service says there is a ten dollar evaluation fee. The submission form says there's a $25 evaluation fee. Hmmm. >>

a quick call to PCGS Customer Service: there's a problem on the submission form (which will be corrected), so the correct fee is on the website at $10 per coin.

If restoration is your thing, that's not a bad fee.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was mildly surprised to see the email presenting the service, but I guess dipping is going to happen 'cause there's a market for the products, so might as well be done by experts in a controlled environment.

Not my cup of meat, personally.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would rather have PCGS do the dipping than uncle Lou in the back room doing the job. You will never stop the dip and strippers unless you buy up every single coin and then you can make up the rules.

The money controls the game.

Coins being doctored today are probably just getting a check up from being doctored in the past.

If I buy it, it is mine to do as I please whether you approve or not.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice knowing some of you

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this ad while logging on lately and my first thoughts were

Should Restored Coins be noted as such on there new labels ???????

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the web page that describes the service says there is a ten dollar evaluation fee. The submission form says there's a $25 evaluation fee. Hmmm. >>

a quick call to PCGS Customer Service: there's a problem on the submission form (which will be corrected), so the correct fee is on the website at $10 per coin.

If restoration is your thing, that's not a bad fee. >>

The $10 is for them to look at the coin and reject it for restoration, not to actually do any restoration "work".

The fees for the actual restoration are 4% of the coins final "graded value" or $25 -- whichever is greater.

What I found a bit odd was that the fee structure assumes (in a sense) that the coin will always be able to be slabbed problem-free after being restored. That's often not the case, as "restoration" can remove surface contaminants that reveal substantial problems underneath. I think they should be more straightforward and say that the cost is still $25 even if the coin is found to have major problems underneath. Yes, I know that's what their intent is, but I think the way it's presented is misleading -- sometimes you simply can't know if a coin can be "restored" until you have attempted.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You will never stop the dip and strippers unless you buy up every single coin and then you can make up the rules.

The money controls the game. >>

A FORMER ANA PRESIDENT recently presented an enlightening "coin preservation" (aka "doctoring") demonstration at my local coin club. It was quite a chemistry lesson. In one of his demos he showed us a nicely-toned, AU-ish Liberty Seated Quarter in a 2x2 that he had priced at ~$300-400 as I recall. It had been for sale in his B&M for a few months and had not sold. He dipped it out until white and confidently said it would now sell ... and even said he liked the "new look" so much that he might raise the price by $50 or so! image Yes, there is a lot of hypocrisy and lots of different opinions out there at all levels about what constitutes doctoring -- and it seems to always be motivated by money. image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
    I'm just happy we have Taco Bell napkins. image
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not used the service but love the fact that it is available. There are plenty of XF and up coins that have minor ugly issues. If I can buy the right coin at the right price and have professional restoration done to make it beautiful, that is a win in my book!

<< <i>I have not used the service but love the fact that it is available. There are plenty of XF and up coins that have minor ugly issues. If I can buy the right coin at the right price and have professional restoration done to make it beautiful, that is a win in my book! >>

Salutations and commendations. Common sense and reasoning will always overshadow emotion and drawn lines in the sand. It's obviously about coins and people just can't get the "money aspect" and the definition of "doctoring" out of their heads. DIPPING, although I don't like it, has a place in the "trade". It always has and that's not going away.
    First and foremost, after the hobby…. a dealer is tasked with giving collectors what they want. A viable service exists for dealers like me who just HATE dipping them.
    For that reason, alone I agree with being glad the service exists. I don't like the dip, but the business is business.
    "for crying out loud", like my mom would say as she taught me about finances… and "it' ain't NO SKIN off your nose", as dad always said.

I'm sure corporations have lots of meetings before such "restorative services" were added to the companies "list of services" , as it were. image

Some of us (me too sometimes), guys need to lighten up with the "lynch mob" mentality.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1). I have long believed that HRH and hence, PCGS, placed a premium on blast white brilliant coins with the attendant strong luster, and graded accordingly. That perhaps accounts for at least part of the perception that NGC is "less strict" in the grading room.
    2). When NGC first began conservation with NCS they stressed the evaluation process as vital to the results they could obtain. That seems to be the same for PCGS as evidenced by the linked video.
    3). NGC/NCS has never divulged the chemicals or the processes they use at NCS and to my knowledge neither has PCGS: I don't expect that either will in the future. There is every reason to believe that the chemicals/process have been extensively tested and that those performing the work are trained, so there is little/no risk.
    4). Whether or not conservation methods such as the one in the linked video constitute "cleaning" is a personal debate but the Hobby has seemingly decided it either is not cleaning --- or ---is an acceptable form cleaning.
    4). By agreeing with the current day's approach, Market Grading, each of us has given tacit approval to what goes on at PCGS and NGC. To that end, if we expect PCGS to grade our coins and then be responsible for any mis-judgement we have stepped to the wrong side of the slippery slope. Is it realistic to expect them to correct things when they have been fooled without also offering that service for a profit?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If restoration is your thing, that's not a bad fee. >>

The $10 is for them to look at the coin and reject it for restoration, not to actually do any restoration "work".

The fees for the actual restoration are 4% of the coins final "graded value" or $25 -- whichever is greater.

What I found a bit odd was that the fee structure assumes (in a sense) that the coin will always be able to be slabbed problem-free after being restored. That's often not the case, as "restoration" can remove surface contaminants that reveal substantial problems underneath. I think they should be more straightforward and say that the cost is still $25 even if the coin is found to have major problems underneath. Yes, I know that's what their intent is, but I think the way it's presented is misleading -- sometimes you simply can't know if a coin can be "restored" until you have attempted. >>

This may have been discussed before, but who or what is used to determine the final "graded value"?
    Also, if they determine that the coin is eligable for restoration, wouldn't the final grade be that of the slab that was originally holding the coin?
    Paul
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed, that was a pretty poor choice of an example to show. Um, the "before" was much nicer.

Might as well have showed the stripped-and-dipped Norweb '93-S Morgan. Yeeech. >>

Oh yes, that famous superb gem 1893-S dollar. Nearly forgot about that one, and the number they did on that coin, LOL.

That Norweb 93-S should forever stand as the poster child against 'coin improvement for a fee' services IMO. >>

In fairness, I don't think anyone at PCGS did that deed -- but someone sure stripped the irreplaceable life out of it.
  • It seems to me folks should be able to do what they want with what they have, and I have some coins that I would be happier with except for some minor issues which I might doctor if I was confident I could improve them, which I'm not. My issue would be if dipping or doctoring was done in an effort to deceive someone for fraudulent gain. Required disclosure of any treatment would morally solve this for me, but I don't expect "Uncle Lou" in the basement to feel bound by any efforts in this direction. My apologies to any collector/dealer named "Uncle Lou". IMO
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got dizzy watching it.

Some coins really need this. No reason to sentence a coin to being substandard, if it has reversible issues.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the feeling some are standing on the soapbox just to show their purity.

If I were to take that WLH, put a picture on these boards as a NEWP, and ask for opinions, there would be a whole lot of people who would say:

"I don't like that type of toning"
    "You should have held out....better coins are available"
    "Just doesn't do anything for me"
    "Looks AU to me"

The poor thing would probably sit in some dealer's inventory for a few years, until he broke out the dip on his own...and possibly screwed it up.

I don't think I'm being overly pessimistic, either. If I am, I invite you to post pictures of your similar WLH's right here....

Now....assuming you agree that this coin would probably end up being dipped at some point anyway, would you rather it be by experienced professionals? Or by the first guy with enough nerve to say, "Oh, I'll give it a shot! A 10 minute soak aughta clean this right up!" *shiver*
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you for a much needed post, Tommy. I once posted before/after pictures of a Copper SC$ that went through NCS much to its improvement and a member actually stated that he liked the before pictured medal......................not realizing he had mixed them up and really liked the conserved picture.

soapboxes can be dangerous.image
    -----BTW, a member in this thread now owns that medal.
  • One thought on the nature of the CU forum: This morning I very carefully wrote a measured posting about the new PCGS Restoration Process. This was partially out of respect for this site being owned by PCGS, partially because I tend to recognize that, as a passionate but amateur coin person, my instinctive response to any issue may be wrong. To this point there have been about a grand total of 3 mild replies to my posting and 39 replies in this thread, which began with a strong criticism of PCGS' new service. These 39 have included strong reactions and some cautionary suggestions along the lines of "maybe you don't want to get kicked off the forum." I guess these contrasting dialogues match the cable-TV-politics lesson: heated controversy sells.

One thought on the substance of restoration: It might be a good idea to distinguish between the aesthetics of -- how to put this? -- efforts to improve coin appearance and the basic legitimacy of such efforts. I remember how shocked I was when, years ago, a for-real coin grading expert first explained to me that dipping (when not done too blatantly) had in fact been acceptable to the TPGs from their inception -- that they'd immediately recognized that refusing to slab any dipped coin would create too much anger and lost investment. Then, a couple years later, I was again jolted out of a naive assumption that only silver -- not copper -- coins were dipped. My own response has been to put a premium on original surfaces and never again to buy anything old and blast white. I'd only suggest that now, with the #1 TPG providing more legitimacy to . . . coin improvement . . . we all might reflect a bit longer before buying a coin that's, say, 150 - 200 years old and has no trace of toning. Unless, of course, that's what you want!
    coinsandwhitesox
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the toned 1921 walker.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stated that I am fine with dipping a coin to remove the crud from its surfaces. I've had this done, it got rid of the yellowish silver sulfide which had built up on the coin's surfaces over the years, and was very happy with the results. The chemicals were rinsed properly, the coin's surfaces were not harmed, and it is currently in a PC 6 holder.

I avoid dipping under other circumstances. If a coin is toned, I leave it alone. If someone wants to do differently, well, it's his coin, not mine.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

• They use " industry accepted technics " to restore these coins which I think means dealers
    and not collectors. Well I am not in the industry I am a collector and any form of technic
    that is used to change the surface of a coin is not accepted by me. Using chemicals to make
    a coin white or to give it color is not accepted by me.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the restoration service was first introduced I remember the sense that the focus would be on coins with problems...that PCGS wouldn't necessarily dip a coin because its owner didn't like toning (unless it was terminal toning or otherwise very unattractive). Do I recall incorrectly? Has something changed?

I have used the restoration service several times to remove PVC or verdigris. And with excellent results. Twice I submitted coins with problem toning; an MS bust half with an unfortunate dark drift mark I hoped could be lessened and an early Lincoln with odd silver spotting on the surface that appeared to be growing. Both times PCGS declined to do the work. I think they made the right call.
    Lance.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the restoration service was first introduced I remember the sense that the focus would be on coins with problems...that PCGS wouldn't necessarily dip a coin because its owner didn't like toning (unless it was terminal toning or otherwise very unattractive). Do I recall incorrectly? Has something changed?

I have used the restoration service several times to remove PVC or verdigris. And with excellent results. Twice I submitted coins with problem toning; an MS bust half with an unfortunate dark drift mark I hoped could be lessened and an early Lincoln with odd silver spotting on the surface that appeared to be growing. Both times PCGS declined to do the work. I think they made the right call.
    Lance. >>

If you look near the bottom of this page, at the "Restoration Do's and Don'ts", it does state they will not dip a coin simply to make it white. Implication being, they will only dip for "problems", (which I'm not clear on, besides terminal toning??):

Link

I think the intent is still as you stated above. "Fix problems"....which again may make the WLH example a rather poor one. It wasn't attractive, but was it really a problem? Can't say....
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had coins restored, loved the outcome. I also had several coins turned down, and I respected their point of view.

They're my coins, and I like their look. They're not forcing anyone to restore their coins and most coins aren't restored anyway.

They have a service people find valuable, why not promote it?

If you don't like a coin's look, don't buy it.

So what's the beef? I'm missing something.
    Ikes or Yikes ?

As much as I dislike dipping…

This is similar to a "hazing" incident. (no spam intended) Merely perspective.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipping is NOT doctoring.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's keep the facts straight please. The abortion on the Norweb '93-S was performed ATS, but even so the head honcho over there bought it and has kept it off the market, so it is presently irrelevant to this discussion.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    there are those that like original toned coins, and there are those that like dipped out bright coins, to each their own.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
This discussion has been closed.