Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Labor Day in 1882...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guy's, are you aware that it wasn't until the year 1882 when the Holiday came into play? I just found it out myself. Since this date was the significant date of Labor Day, how about showing some 1882 coins?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Low mintage year for what I collect only 4,400 minted and my pockets have not been deep enough lately for those few offered.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one, at least, and 1882 Gold Dollar. This is a very nice coin, but then again these coins come nice because they did not get used for much except jewelry.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Very cool coins posted guy's! The gold one is so beautiful and full of luster and the other one is very interesting to say the least.image

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Great! You just pulled up my favorite "1882" coin! That's strange, both sides seems to be two different colors? Very beauuutiful. I'll guess a 66RB? Double-die?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, odd about the difference in color, front to back. It's a 65RB. No doubling that I know of, other than the usual Longacre doubling.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Yeah, regardless. Nice coin Lance and thanks for posting.-joeyimage

• Options
    I have seen and have handled a number of 19th century dated Indian cents that were lighter on one side than the other. Most often they are pieces that were stored in coin cabinets that always had one side next to the velvet, and the other facing up. I think the toning could go both ways. If the velvet had stuff in it that caused the coin to tone, it toned. If the velvet was fairly inert and the side facing up was exposed to a lot of light, that side toned. That side was also more prone to black or "carbon" spots because of the saliva applied by breathing or sneezing on the piece.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Duplicate post, and I'll tell what is happening.

I post a message, and then the screen freezes. I wait and wait until I get an error message. After the screen freezes and then re-post because I know that if I hit the "Enter" button again I'll get blocked with a "duplicate message" response.

I have logged out and come back, and NOT seen my message after the error message. Then I'll come back and see the same message repeated multiple times.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool gold image
  • Options

<< <i>I have seen and have handled a number of 19th century dated Indian cents that were lighter on one side than the other. Most often they are pieces that were stored in coin cabinets that always had one side next to the velvet, and the other facing up. I think the toning could go both ways. If the velvet had stuff in it that caused the coin to tone, it toned. If the velvet was fairly inert and the side facing up was exposed to a lot of light, that side toned. That side was also more prone to black or "carbon" spots because of the saliva applied by breathing or sneezing on the piece. >>

Makes perfectly good sense, thanks for the info.image

• Options

<< <i>I have seen and have handled a number of 19th century dated Indian cents that were lighter on one side than the other. Most often they are pieces that were stored in coin cabinets that always had one side next to the velvet, and the other facing up. I think the toning could go both ways. If the velvet had stuff in it that caused the coin to tone, it toned. If the velvet was fairly inert and the side facing up was exposed to a lot of light, that side toned. That side was also more prone to black or "carbon" spots because of the saliva applied by breathing or sneezing on the piece. >>

Makes perfectly good sense to me, thanks for the info.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file