Home U.S. Coin Forum

This is fake... right?

For some reason, I am only 99% sure this is crap ...Fake?

Sorry for the redundancy of this topic .. I'm fairly certain this is a crapola, cast copy but I guess I am looking for reassurance from multiple sources to confirm

Thanks ....
imageimage

Comments

• I am not sure as it is the O mint mark far right variety.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my series, but nothing jumps out to me as fake. why do you think that?
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think at the very least it got a nice buff job.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Hey CZ is that your coin or your image for the seller?
  • I think it's genuine. Many barber coins have off center mintmarks.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am leaning towards genuine, but do not feel certain.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey CZ is that your coin or your image for the seller? >>

Its the seller's image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I do not think it is a fake. I do agree that it is crap. I do think that it was polished up somehow. If you were planning to purchase it, I suggest waiting for a better example. It is worth paying the price for a nice VF/XF unmessed-with coin. If I ever get back to collecting Barber coins, I would go the XF-AU route. You can't go wrong. Even though they are pricey in the XF area they are well worth the purchase.

Bob
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing says fake to me
    Frank

BHNC #203

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks ok to me (although I suspect polished). castings typically have grainysurfaces and pits/holes in the dentils and rims. I don't see any of that. transfer die copies usually have fat rounded letters and numbers, and I don't see that either. So what bothered you about the coin?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me from what I can see.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    What's with the dot of metal on the reverse under the 2nd "L" in dollar?
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    thanks all.. had nothing to do with the MM.. was just the overall font and texture of the coin (along with the polishing) that messed with my eyes
    imageimage
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's with the dot of metal on the reverse under the 2nd "L" in dollar? >>

Or the one above the upper right corner of the shield? Could be bubbles from heat damage, the coin being blackened and subsequently polished. I just don't know.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't put my finger on it exactly, but the date and lettering look odd to me. I have seen the mint marks wonder around to odd places, but this is not my series beyond type coins. I confess I have never been a Barber series enthusiast.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seem to be two or more varieties of this coin, some with MM off to the side, and some with it centered. Might be real but polished as many have mentioned. Find a better one as hardly nobody will be happy with that dog.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭
    Not an expert on Barbers but does not jump out as fake to me. It definitely looks odd, and I think why is that there is far too much wear on rims (especially) and devices for the way the field looks. Some sort of polishing/tooling etc.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not buying that is is real

The letters on the reverse don't line up with the ones on coin facts.

The mint marks may move a bit but the D in dollar looks like it should be closer to the center of the tail feathers.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not into barbers at all

it's not cast.

I homed in on the lettering too. especially the reverse lettering. it looks odd.

could it have been tooled to make it look less circulated?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    First thing that went thru my mind was "worked over" which would eliminate it for me unless really rare date at a good price - not a Barber guy.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit post and put Barber in title...The experts are on this forum but not chiming in...
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with the coin, its real, its has signs of an old cleaning. Poor images of the rev make the letters look a bit off but thats about it. Nice AU Details, I think it would actually look nice in hand.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Leon - It isnt worth it

For the record was never considering buying it .. I was simply surfing and came across it .. It just looked "funky" to me

I will repeat: It had zero to do with the MM or any one thing in particular. I hope even the most cursory look at the coins I display publicly through the Reg would be enough to tell anyone these coins are my area of interest (specialty) and that there are exactly zero that look like this train wreck.

The font looked a little odd; the size and lettering more specifically .. As soon as someone said it looked polished it was a light dawned moment in that was probably what made it appear the way it did ..

This really was a very minor thing - just idle conversation
    imageimage
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely just polished, and harshly lit, which accounts for the apparent abnormalities. So it's genuine, but you wouldn't want to own it. Blech. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file