Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beautiful MS69 FB Mercury dime

Anybody know if that is just a scratched slab on the reverse? Because it doesn't look FB otherwise. Needless to say.....I'd love to own it.

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I was talking to dealer at a big show when someone walked up with 5 PCGS 1939 D Mercs. 4 were 69FB and 1 was 68FB. They had all been in old ANACS 67FB holders. They were all stunning coins with toning like the one you posted and blazing luster. I only remember seeing one small tick on the 68 and the others seemed perfect. The dealer bought all 5, I watch him write the check. I was in awe. I got to look at all of them closely. His favorite was the 68, the toning was just a bit nicer.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was talking to dealer at a big show when someone walked up with 5 PCGS 1939 D Mercs. 4 were 69FB and 1 was 68FB. They had all been in old ANACS 67FB holders. They were all stunning coins with toning like the one you posted and blazing luster. I only remember seeing one small tick on the 68 and the others seemed perfect. The dealer bought all 5, I watch him write the check. I was in awe. I got to look at all of them closely. His favorite was the 68, the toning was just a bit nicer. >>

WOW. Jealous
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hard to tell about the bands...slab glare/scratch or the coin itself?.....also seems to have a number of reverse dings for a 69.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Really hard to tell about the bands...slab glare/scratch or the coin itself?.....also seems to have a number of reverse dings for a 69. >>

Well, until I see it in a slab, I just cannot believe that its a 69.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's definitely a slab scuff over the middle band on the OP's pic.
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a few years ago that someone had found/discovered/purchased one of those old savings folders that had the band of paper holding the dimes in. They all had similar toning to the obverse like this one. If I remember correctly, they all graded high like this one. Don't remember who graded them though. Nice Merc for sure.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it could use a new holder.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    The first posted coin does not look like a 69 that I would like to own based off the pics, maybe in hand I would think different.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they are, and I won't even get into a grading debate other than to say they are nice coins image
  • Options
    It's probably not fair to try to grade the coin from images, especially those taken with the coin in the holder.
    Here's a 1939-D PCGS MS68+ FB CAC imaged outside the holder ... I just added this to my collection.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 68+ CAC is like a slice of fresh apple pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top. The color, or the 'creaminess' of middle portion, would be wonderful on its own, but together they reach another level of special.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely holder

Out of focus photos, too.

Seller could clear things up with some slab polishing. This might be one time when polishing a slab before sale is worth it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's probably not fair to try to grade the coin from images, especially those taken with the coin in the holder.
    Here's a 1939-D PCGS MS68+ FB CAC imaged outside the holder ... I just added this to my collection.

image >>

When the toning stars align this is the result. My favorite series and a most exquisite piece.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Really hard to tell about the bands...slab glare/scratch or the coin itself?.....also seems to have a number of reverse dings for a 69. >>

Well, until I see it in a slab, I just cannot believe that its a 69. >>

Could be they imaged the wrong coin.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Bush has a 39-D MS68FB CAC with similar obverse toning in his archive section. Seems a lot of these exist with this type of beautiful toning!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP's coin seems to be lacking something on the obverse strike. And it is sort of annoying to have an obvious mark right across a diagonal band joined by half a dozen or so lighter ones. Could you see a MS69 Morgan having a chip taken out of the eagle's breast? I'd take Sunnywood's coin over this one if they were both raw. Merc dimes ought to be near flawless in MS69 grade such that any marks should not be in focal areas (bands, cheek, neck, and fields).

The OP's coin does appear to meet the criteria for showing a full split. It's debatable if the marks on the diagonal bands would counter that. Some of these MS69 Mercs have an "unbrow." Could over polishing the die result in generally weaker detail? Do you want your MS69 to be missing a major design feature of the coin (ie a full facial outline)? On the reverse, some of these have a flattish "TES" in "STATES" while others are fairly sharp.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't look like FB
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's probably not fair to try to grade the coin from images, especially those taken with the coin in the holder.

image >>

amazing
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, until I see it in a slab, I just cannot believe that its a 69.

perhaps you should read the post a few before yours, it may not prove 100% reassuring but it is a start. it seems that lately there is quite a bit of unreasonable suspicion at the forum.
    -----note to self: please remember that you can't accurately grade a coin from a picture.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a coin I couldn't sell for $20 on E-Bay.

The hits all over are clear enough to me to conclude that it cannot be an MS 69. Period!!
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the statements about the hits on the reverse.

Can not be a 69 with those hits!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, until I see it in a slab, I just cannot believe that its a 69.

perhaps you should read the post a few before yours, it may not prove 100% reassuring but it is a start. it seems that lately there is quite a bit of unreasonable suspicion at the forum.
    -----note to self: please remember that you can't accurately grade a coin from a picture. >>

I'll stand by my statement.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    It's true that one can't grade 100% accurately by a photo considering all the nuances with luster, hairlines, etc. But, it's just as true that 100% of the time with a good photo you can see obvious marks, striking issues, luster problems, signs of cleaning, and other concerns that make the coin either low end or unworthy of the assigned grade.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true that one can't grade 100% accurately by a photo considering all the nuances with luster, hairlines, etc. But, it's just as true that 100% of the time with a good photo you can see obvious marks, striking issues, luster problems, signs of cleaning, and other concerns that make the coin either low end or unworthy of the assigned grade.

one of the most helpful things that Russ has done at this site is to show how easily a "good photo" can be manipulated to hide or accentuate certain characteristics of a coin.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the coin in the OP graded PCGS MS69FB??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Does the mushieness(sp?) of the "TE" in states and "F" in of and the date come into play as to the high grade? Some of the others had crisp lettering that could be part of the MS69 grade. I know it's difficult to grade by photos, but this is too obvious.
    Paul
  • Options
    What a beautiful coin and series, one of my favorites!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the photos of the coin is out of focus.

some of those "hits" on the reverse are "in focus" or at least appear to be,

doesn't that raise a flag?

I'm guessing there are lots of marks on the holders. If the seller would polish the slab it would take care of a lot of questions.

This is one time where polishing a slab before selling the coin is a worthwhile idea.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you can get a green bean on a 69.......I'd much prefer a nice 68 or 68+ for the money.
  • Options
    I'm giving the coin the benefit of the doubt that all those obv "hairline" marks are on the holder. Same for the fuzziness on the right half of the center bands where the holder appears scuffed. But what you can't hide are the ticks that are most certainly not on the holder. I don't think any amount of tweaking of the photo will restore the flatness in some lettering and the "unbrow." The coin is still exceptional, though I don't think as worthy of a 69 grade and/or price as some others.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill second that one. not for me thanks
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

GREAT pick up Sunnywood! The toning is spectacular. Do you have any idea what imperfection might have prevented it being a 69 like the OP posted? I cannot see any from your out of slab photos.

OINK
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Those were great looking Mercury dimes the first time I saw them, as a group. I seem
    to remember that there were hundreds of them, all from the cardboard folders that
    banks used to give out. The grades have slowly inched higher over the years, especially
    for the ones with the best colors.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Some outstanding Mercs with outstanding colors.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin in this thread is the one posted by Bluejayway.

The Dime in the OP does not look FB at all. Bad slab or not.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's definitely a slab scuff over the middle band on the OP's pic. >>

I'd have to agree - or it's not a FB
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Very beautiful!

• Options

<< <i>

image >>

GREAT pick up Sunnywood! The toning is spectacular. Do you have any idea what imperfection might have prevented it being a 69 like the OP posted? I cannot see any from your out of slab photos.

OINK >>

Looks to be the planchet striations in lib's wings. All nice coins but they are just to close to normal 20$ coins as others mentioned to be worth the difference to these eyes
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercs are a favorite of mine...but the OP coin does not look 69....Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>The OP's coin seems to be lacking something on the obverse strike. And it is sort of annoying to have an obvious mark right across a diagonal band joined by half a dozen or so lighter ones. Could you see a MS69 Morgan having a chip taken out of the eagle's breast? I'd take Sunnywood's coin over this one if they were both raw. Merc dimes ought to be near flawless in MS69 grade such that any marks should not be in focal areas (bands, cheek, neck, and fields).

The OP's coin does appear to meet the criteria for showing a full split. It's debatable if the marks on the diagonal bands would counter that. Some of these MS69 Mercs have an "unbrow." Could over polishing the die result in generally weaker detail? Do you want your MS69 to be missing a major design feature of the coin (ie a full facial outline)? On the reverse, some of these have a flattish "TES" in "STATES" while others are fairly sharp. >>

Your observation is right on.
  • Options
    Forgot to ask. Is that in a PCGS holder? Please tell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file