Home U.S. Coin Forum

Not all gold Kennedys certified at ANA convention sold there

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin World Online is reporting that approx. 2,103 gold Kennedys were certified at the ANA Convention by PCGS, NGC and ANACS, but only approx. 1,500 coins were sold there. THe rest were purchased at other Mint facilities and transported to the convention for slabbing.

Question: does it matter?
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We knew that in the kennedy threads you avoided

If I cared about the ANA label, I would say it cheapens the label to have coins shipped in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could any of these also have been regrades in search of a 70?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We knew that in the kennedy threads you avoided

If I cared about the ANA label, I would say it cheapens the label to have coins shipped in. >>

the label is only worth 3 cents to begin with how much cheapening can it tolerate ?image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could any of these also have been regrades in search of a 70? >>

Yes

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just more shenanigans by the few that spoiled the Chicago circus. Bad decision by PCGS to not require a receipt like the other two TPG's. So almost all those extra numbers were PCGS slabs.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capt... The PCGS Chicago label simply meant the coins were graded in Chicago by PCGS during the "pre-release" time period. It was unimportant to PCGS which of the four distribution points the coins came from during those three days of US Mint sales. Hopes this helps.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World Online is reporting that approx. 2,103 gold Kennedys were certified at the ANA Convention by PCGS, NGC and ANACS, but only approx. 1,500 coins were sold there. THe rest were purchased at other Mint facilities and transported to the convention for slabbing.

Of course it matters. More coins means more profits.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • OMG, say it's not true.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh SNAP!

Right back into somebodies face such as certain self serving PCGS Authorized Coin Dealers GAMING the System.

What the hell are those labels worth now??
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to many now.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I thought the NGC ones require the mint receipt from the ANA show. Only PCGS did not require that.
    ANACS also required the receipt. But so few graded by them (30) that they have little impact.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is : " Does it matter ? " I do not know. But I will find out when the 2015 Red Book comes out. If not then, maybe in the 2016 edition. image

<< <i>The question is : " Does it matter ? " I do not know. But I will find out when the 2015 Red Book comes out. If not then, maybe in the 2016 edition. image >>

try 2017 the 2015 red book came out last year image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL Bronc
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin World Online is reporting that approx. 2,103 gold Kennedys were certified at the ANA Convention by PCGS, NGC and ANACS, but only approx. 1,500 coins were sold there. THe rest were purchased at other Mint facilities and transported to the convention for slabbing.

Of course it matters. More coins means more profits. >>

Just another way the Mint, PcGS, NGC ,ANA Show threw money towards big money dealers and SHow table dealers..

Before the Show dealer friend was unhappy with the small Gold kennedy limit..only later to sing praise on the Show results and , how things were not really bad ,with the line gold Kennedy campouts and people milling around the bourse .... this after bagging his biggest coin show profit ever.. with the help of a lot of gold kennedys
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a coin was submitted to NGC with a show receipt from the Mint sales booth, was the receipt marked in any way to show that that coin had already been submitted?

In other words, if somebody bought a coin on the first day and submitted it and then had another coin brought in from a different outlet, could the receipt be used again on a subsequent day to submit a coin as a show coin?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect all the label issues you want, I don't pay a premium for them.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
    Someone also told me (but I have not checked) that ngc had more first day chicago coins graded than what was to be expected from a max distribution of just 500 coins. Can someone confirm how many ngc first day Chicago coins show in their pop from the max of 500 that were distributed in Chicago by the mint. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

<< <i>Someone also told me (but I have not checked) that ngc had more first day chicago coins graded than what was to be expected from a max distribution of just 500 coins. Can someone confirm how many ngc first day Chicago coins show in their pop from the max of 500 that were distributed in Chicago by the mint. Wondercoin >>

Trying to shift some blame here Mulch?

If I recall correctly, it wasn't NGC Authorized Dealers that hired actors to invade the different venues in an attempt to make folks think that these coins were hugely popular.

Post your question ATS.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The question is : " Does it matter ? " I do not know. But I will find out when the 2015 Red Book comes out. If not then, maybe in the 2016 edition. image >>

try 2017 the 2015 red book came out last year image >>

No. The 2015 Red Book was not released in 2013, nor has the 2016 Red Book already been released.

The 2016 Red Book comes out next spring with the Kennedy information.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought the NGC ones require the mint receipt from the ANA show. Only PCGS did not require that. >>

Did I see sets of 4 NGC graded coins that had Chicago, Denver, Philly and Washington, DC on the labels?
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When a coin was submitted to NGC with a show receipt from the Mint sales booth, was the receipt marked in any way to show that that coin had already been submitted?

In other words, if somebody bought a coin on the first day and submitted it and then had another coin brought in from a different outlet, could the receipt be used again on a subsequent day to submit a coin as a show coin? >>

NGC "postmarked" all receipts so they could only be used once.

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought the NGC ones require the mint receipt from the ANA show. Only PCGS did not require that. >>

Did I see sets of 4 NGC graded coins that had Chicago, Denver, Philly and Washington, DC on the labels? >>

This one? LINK
    Better act fast as a 33% discount is in effect. Guess they didn't get the asking price the first time they ran this. PF69 no less.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did I see sets of 4 NGC graded coins that had Chicago, Denver, Philly and Washington, DC on the labels? >>

This one? LINK
    Better act fast as a 33% discount is in effect. Guess they didn't get the asking price the first time they ran this. >>

Yeah and I hope the greedy turd chokes on em too!
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the TPGs have to offer is credibility. Credibility is waning.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

"Trying to shift some blame"

That would assume PCGS was to blame. And when you "assume", you know what happens!!

Wondercoin
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone also told me (but I have not checked) that ngc had more first day chicago coins graded than what was to be expected from a max distribution of just 500 coins. Can someone confirm how many ngc first day Chicago coins show in their pop from the max of 500 that were distributed in Chicago by the mint. Wondercoin >>

If I recall correctly, it wasn't NGC Authorized Dealers that hired actors to invade the different venues in an attempt to make folks think that these coins were hugely popular.

Post you question ATS. >>

Hey if you're still buying that Hiring actors (bull ship) to create a stir then I have a Bridge for sale...Good Grief...

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey if you're still buying that Hiring actors (bull ship) to create a stir then I have a Bridge for sale...Good Grief... >>

So that news report from the Denver mint was concocted then?

<< <i>

<< <i>

This one? LINK
    Better act fast as a 33% discount is in effect. Guess they didn't get the asking price the first time they ran this. PF69 no less. >>

When I checked last week .. silvertowne had over 25 gold Kennedys on the bay .. looks they aren't selling fastimage
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey if you're still buying that Hiring actors (bull ship) to create a stir then I have a Bridge for sale...Good Grief... >>

So that news report from the Denver mint was concocted then? >>

They were hired to buy the coins. Whatever ridiculous premise that was used to lure them there is irrelevant.
    If you really want a Chicago label Kennedy just wait.... silvertowne dumped the Chicago label reverse Buff proofs for 1,600 on the bay, last May

The gold kennedys should follow same image

<< <i>"Trying to shift some blame"

That would assume PCGS was to blame. And when you "assume", you know what happens!!

Wondercoin >>

I have no doubts about what happened via nationally published reports of two coin dealers hiring actors to "act" excited about the coin and bus loads of folks being hired to stand in line for a couple of dealers who in turn sold some poor sap the 1st sold coin for $100,000 and it wasn't an NGC slabbed coin.

That's what happened.

The name is LEE!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin World Online is reporting that approx. 2,103 gold Kennedys were certified at the ANA Convention by PCGS, NGC and ANACS, but only approx. 1,500 coins were sold there. THe rest were purchased at other Mint facilities and transported to the convention for slabbing.

Question: does it matter? >>

Not to me because I am interested in the coin, not the certification.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This one? LINK
    Better act fast as a 33% discount is in effect. Guess they didn't get the asking price the first time they ran this. >>

Yeah and I hope the greedy turd chokes on em too! >>

Yea, but it has been marked down from $14,950 to $9,999.95 !!!!!

How can you call him "a greedy turd" when he is offering discounts like that? image

For what it's worth a little sign popped up when I clicked on the eBay site that said "One person looking per hour." That does not sound like a lot of foot traffic for a "hot item."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

This one? LINK

Yeah and I hope the greedy turd chokes on em too! >>

Yea, but it has been marked down from $14,950 to $9,999.95 !!!!!

How can you call him "a greedy turd" when he is offering discounts like that? image

For what it's worth a little sign popped up when I clicked on the eBay site that said "One person looking per hour." That does not sound like a lot of foot traffic for a "hot item." >>

One person was me and one was you. I wonder what he has in them?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it matter?

Of course it matters!

This is one of the most important numismatic issues in at least the past 1000 years. The future of numismatics depends on it.

Right now, as I am writing this, I suspect dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of collectors are in the process of dumping their classic coins so they can buy gold Kennedys in the special holders used at the ANA convention.

The coins that were transported from other locations need a special designation of their own.

All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>Does it matter?

Of course it matters!

This is one of the most important numismatic issues in at least the past 1000 years. The future of numismatics depends on it.

Right now, as I am writing this, I suspect dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of collectors are in the process of dumping their classic coins so they can buy gold Kennedys in the special holders used at the ANA convention.

The coins that were transported from other locations need a special designation of their own.

image >>

How aboot Fools Gold Kennedys?

How about a little teabag symbol?

<< <i>"Trying to shift some blame"

Wondercoin >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file