Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913-D Buffalo--taking one last chance

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
This piece has always knocked me out It's incredible in every way. The first time I sent it in, it came back artificial color. The second time, it came back MS63. I hadn't submitted coins for grading in almost four years--until Monday. A bunch of pieces piled up (maybe 15 in all) and I finally signed back up for the collector's club to get a deal on what is, for me, a bulk submission. I cracked this piece out and off it went with the rest, including a 1918-D I'm especially hopeful about.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it comes back MS66. Pragmatic person that I am, another MS63 grade wouldn't surprise me either. Either way, it's the last time it will visit PCGS--at least with me as its owner.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% detail on that one. Good luck!
  • Options
    What a gorgeous Buffalo, I would love to own that coin!
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck.....it is a great coin. But there is no real category for a coin with a Questionable Strike. Your coin is struck much too well to be believed. It really looks like an ultra high relief strike. Don't give up, just let PCGS catch up.

OINK
  • Options

<< <i>Your coin is struck much too well to be believed. It really looks like an ultra high relief strike. Don't give up, just let PCGS catch up.

OINK >>

+1
    “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful... can't wait to heart the results.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    I remember this coin from your past posts, and have always thought it is a spectacular example! Good luck with the resubmission- I would still be proud to own this coin in a 63 holder image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I can almost understand the coin not being graded for artificial color. But MS63? Really? I mean REALLY????

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many 1913 coins from all three Mints this one shows some extreme clashing-another + for the coin.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great coin...always liked it.... even with the tarnish. I think you should just send it to me so it can enjoy its 'forever' home.....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what grade you get it remains a monster 1913-d type one buff. It has to be a least a 65. dunno what the "grade-errors" where thinking when they gave this piece a 63!!
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1913-P and 1913-D type one buffs seem to produce monster coins like this from time to time but not so much the 1913-s type one, though that is famous for its two feathers and two feathers no initial varieties. Getting an s-mint type one like this would be quite an accomplishment.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>I can almost understand the coin not being graded for artificial color. But MS63? Really? I mean REALLY???? >>

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    That is sick detail. I guess the hammered lusterbomb that it is blinded the graders when they first looked at it and the "MS63" button on their keyboard is the first one they hit when their hands were flailing around trying to get their sight back.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I would buy it as a MS 64 graded by PCGS and that would be a high end MS 64. Looks like it has some really cool color as well. Post back and let us know how it goes.

Pete Whitt

www.pccoins.com
    Pete Whitt
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Back when I collected Buffs I would have been glad to put this one into my collection.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fields have so much texture the Graders were thrown off.

Nice coin.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beauty
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Results in today. I submitted a bunch of other buffalo nickels along with this coin, and I'm pleased by the grading. This one drew MS63 again, which I wish were a point or two higher. But a couple of other pieces did slightly better than expected, and in general I'm impressed by the standard to which PCGS judges these pieces. Almost all were within a point of what I predicted.

The key to happiness is keeping expectations modest. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the luster must not be as it appears in your images? Appears to have smoe luster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file