Home U.S. Coin Forum

Raw eBay purchase, '81-S Morgan... (Grade posted in OP)

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Update; Coin came back today. 66+.

Gonna send this in for grading in my next batch, it's real nice... anybody wanna take a stab at what it grades?

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the chatter in front of the portrait I'd go MS67, yet with it: MS66.

peacockcoins

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say ms66+ and a Nice One FTB!!!

Erik
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice I'll go with MS65+ image

Hoard the keys.
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered if the graders don't prefer more "character" on common-date Morgans if they' re going to land killer high-grade. All things being equal, won't they favor crustiness, a haze, end-roll toning, splotches of color, anything to blast-white pieces?
    Beautiful coin, by the way. Surfaces are pure as it gets, the strike is sensational and it gets high marks for eye appeal.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know i had some buyers say they dont have the $$$ to close the deal right now so they ask if we can pass the deal to the next guy i think the same thing when they tell me to do this so i just re list it. Kinda sucks now i need to let it go for another week. I need to start blacking i dont like to do this but they should not bid if they dont have the $$$. image

Hoard the keys.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Coins like this are tough. Depending on how critical they feel like being about the depth of the scratches on the left field at the moment the coin is graded there can be big variations on the final grade. I've seen coins like this grade as high as MS66 or as low as MS64 or somewhere in between. At $130 there is some possibility of financial downside as well as decent upside.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you taking chances on ultra-common coins like 1881-S Morgans? The marks in the field are probably going to hold the grade down to a level where you can't make any money (or may even lose money) after paying the costs relating to grading.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a smooth cheek, but there is too much going on in the fields to push the grade beyond MS-65 IMO. It also as a shiny spot, a break in the mint frost, on the cap. If I were grading it I'd say MS-64+.

These coins are very common in high grade, and they were well made. For that reason you will see some very attractive examples in sub MS-65 graded holders.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chatter in the fields will hold it to 65.
  • TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. I like it as a 66.image
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice coin. I hope it goes 66+ for you! Has a shot.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    66, with a shot at a 66+!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66 from what I can see.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>What a nice coin. I hope it goes 66+ for you! Has a shot. >>

Although the frost break on the cap put a ceiling on the grade
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally that amount of chatter in front of her face would hold the coin to 65 max. But the ultra-clean cheek could push it to 66. The only way to tell with a liner coin like this is to see it in person and see what catches your eye when rotating it.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need to tilt it in 100 watt light under a glass to even grade properly but I would say 64-65 on it. One problem I have with it is the strike seems just a tad soft. This could knock it down to 64.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

• << <i>Coins like this are tough. Depending on how critical they feel like being about the depth of the scratches on the left field at the moment the coin is graded there can be big variations on the final grade. I've seen coins like this grade as high as MS66 or as low as MS64 or somewhere in between. At $130 there is some possibility of financial downside as well as decent upside. >>

My thoughts exactly....personally based on the images I can't imagine it going any lower than MS65 and it certainly looks to be in the MS64 ballpark but I have gotten some surprises myself from time to time.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-66+ - Beautiful 1881-S with a bit of cameo contrast between icy cold lightly frosted devices and gorgeous satiny luster in the fields.

Great pick-up!! imageimageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Owned a coin like this one, 1881-O in that Canadian company 65 Holder. 66 all day I thought at PCGS.

Had that same haze in the fields on the right side that yours does and PCGS called it altered surfaces. I think you need to put some acetone on the surface and see if it evaporates quickly and naturally (good)
    or sits there like a pool (very bad).
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin. I had forgot about this one.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    Must have missed this GTG. It is rare for me to miss a GTG.

The assigned grade seems very appropriate. Nice score, FTB. You seem to have an eye for good deals.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too missed the GTG,,,,nice for sure.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • You are ending the year with some nice purchases, congrats on the nice Morgans.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are the quintessential Ebay picker, good for you image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score and congratulations!!!
    Sweet coin too!!
    Sweet pick!!!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Iimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nice pick up from ebay, way to go image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw, naked, without protection, … Not all are diseased. Good for you. Blessings are in abundance for those who see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file