Home U.S. Coin Forum

>>> The Official SILVER 50th Kennedy Thread <<<

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
Trying to keep thread count down in the long run

PCGS reports these do not need to be submitted in the OGP.

Mint Product Page - 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection

The Mint's officially bad photos are here

official complaint thread for the mint's new website

Household limit=5. (Lifted)
Maximum Mintage 225,000 lowered from 300,000

On Sale: Oct 28

price $99.95 for a 4 coin set.

50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection (product code K13) - $99.95
The set is composed of four coins-one from each of the United States Mint's production facilities-struck in 90 percent silver in four finishes:

One reverse proof coin from the United States Mint at West Point
One proof coin from the United States Mint at Philadelphia
One enhanced uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at San Francisco, and
One uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at Denver.

Each coin features the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar coin design, but is inscribed with the year 2014. The encapsulated coins are secured in coin wells within an embossed leatherette-type folder that includes the same image of John F. Kennedy that appears on the coins in this set, with patriotic imagery of stars and stripes. The removable capsules allow visibility of both sides of the coins, which are housed on packaging that can be displayed as a trifold or stored and protected by an outer sleeve. The United States Mint logo is on the front of the folder, and the Department of the Treasury seal is on the back. A booklet with information and images about the design of the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar coin and a certificate of authenticity accompany each set.

***pcgs is also designating some EU coins as Proof-Like

PCGS #530177 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530178 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530179 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530180 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530169 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530173 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530174 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
PCGS #530175 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set First Strike PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad

My prediction will be only as hot as the clad set if that. With the price mayhem following the gold I'm guessing the amateur flippers will be much fewer. My guess for paid line standers is just as many if not more if the mint has in person sales. Why not vacuum as many on the first day of issue if you have no qualms *ahem* doing so and apparently a line to HSN? Lottery? Never happen.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    As long as they keep the five set limit in-place, there should be limited mayhem. Of course, if they want to create mayhem, all they have to do is offer early sales at a major show (it appears their only chance is the Baltimore Winter Expo 10/30).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I will be in there ordering from the start and we shall see what is going to happen from there.

It will be be hard to find time to make more sets before the end of the year so whatever is available before sales start could be what they will have as there are just too many different parts to this offering.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    SPACE RESERVED AND FOR SALEimage
  • Buy buy buy.... flip flip flip..... a week later.... cancel...cancel.... return. ..return...return..
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint press release does not indicate if all four will have a mintmark.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, what makes this thread >>>Official<<< anywho?
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A population search shows coin numbers for the 4 coin set and their mint marks.

PCGS #530177 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530178 2014-S 50C Enhanced - Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530179 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530180 2014-D 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike MS > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530169 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530173 2014-P 50C Silver 50th Anniversary Set First Strike, DC PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530174 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad
    PCGS #530175 2014-W 50C Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Set First Strike PR > Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollar, Type 3, Copper-Nickel Clad

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't know the half of it.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, what makes this thread >>>Official<<< anywho? >>

it's a toss to a long standing history of claiming something is official when it is not.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be in for a minimum of 3 sets and I look forward to this particular offering.

But I have to admit, my brain has a difficult time rectifying the cost since "my mind" is secretly anticipating something along the lines of Silver Eagles or at least coins that have a certain "wow" factor. The gold coin didn't have it. Maybe 4 90% Silver coins will?

Ord: USM02593***
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know not to say never, but I just can't support the Mint after the HoF and Kennedy fiascos.
    If they want to hold hands with the greedy so be it.

I only have 2 moderns, a 1999 ASE MS68FS and a 2008-W $5 Buffalo PR69DCAMFS with nice deep red toning. Won't bother me to put all my focus on classics and forget about the moderns.

Good luck to you all if you buy, somebody will get my spot in the WAITING ROOM......image

<< <i>

Good humor… image
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

It SAYS it right at the top....

"The OFFICIAL 50th Kennedy thread"

Good enough for me...image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Great, looking forward to another thread filled with multiple posts and advice from the Oracle, the Man behind the Curtain, Gandalf, and I guess all we'd need is Punxsutawney Phil to show up.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

...... and so begins the countdown to the next marathon of US Mint bashing.........

........Oh the humanity ... image
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the late on-sale date will the mintage be held down? Will sales end in Dec. 2014?

Can I get an ANA label with First Strike and a picture of JFK? image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I officially love the look of the 98S. Wonder how the silver ones will stack up to this 90%r? I can't wait to image them.

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

<< <i>I officially love the look of the 98S. Wonder how the silver ones will stack up to this 90%r? I can't wait to image them.

imageimage >>

Awesome photoimage

Here's a quick shot of a Clad 2014, the black specks are actually in, not on the holder...

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It SAYS it right at the top....

"The OFFICIAL 50th Kennedy thread"

Good enough for me...image >>

I certainly don't have it. I think I got the 8,468,297th Kennedy half.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casman, your example has a chiseled appearance, very bold and struck up. Almost like it was carved out with tools, interesting look.

EDIT: Here ya go Cas, hammered clad with a totally different look.

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never mind the coins , I need to hear about the impressive array of stickers that will be offered. I'm hoping for a special pre-first strike label that is large enough to cover the whole slab so I'm not distracted by seeing the coin.

Good One

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    If everyone would stop buying these stupid stickers, that mean absolutely nothing, they would stop putting them on coins.
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never mind the coins , I need to hear about the impressive array of stickers that will be offered. I'm hoping for a special pre-first strike label that is large enough to cover the whole slab so I'm not distracted by seeing the coin. >>

Now THAT is Funny !
    And I ain't lying this time.
    It's official now. image. I may edit those other halves out. image
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint press release does not indicate if all four will have a mintmark. >>

Someone had taken a picture of the set at the ANA show....

Kennedy Silver Set pic...

If you save the pic and enlarge it, you can clearly see the mm's.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the quality is good this will be a nice set to add to your collection. Don't waste time or money buying extras.

The big guys will have graded ones by the thousands at prices that will most likely be below your cost after their initial attempt at price gouging fails.

Order what you want to keep and hope the quality is good.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Spot on!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Silver goes on sale on 28OCT.
    Great picsimage
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver goes on sale on 28OCT. >>

Good catch brendanlam

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the (silver) minted will surpass their clad little brothers.

See OP for the Mint's disappointing photos.

• Will the price of silver hold people back also?
    gold and silver bullion sales have increased with the fall (but are still well under last year's pace)

It may keep them from stockpiling them, but not buying them. Unless it hits $4 again, which it looks like it can the way things are going so far in Oct.
  • Isn't the price fixed on these?? Or will the Mint change the price if silver prices drop significantly?
    $2 face of 90%

I'm not seeing a price drop even if silver sees $4/oz this month

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never mind the coins , I need to hear about the impressive array of stickers that will be offered. I'm hoping for a special pre-first strike label that is large enough to cover the whole slab so I'm not distracted by seeing the coin. >>

I have my own special sticker

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    So not even 2 ounces of silver in this set. I think this set has broken the record at 290% premium over spot. If the dealers undercut each other to sell a 70 set in the $200 range I may buy. Not really a Kennedy collector, but could be a nice set.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Well the 98 special set sold for. 59.95 with about 1.13 oz of silver
    When silver was about 5 and oz
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two sets for me.

No flipping, just want a couple of sets.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Well the 98 special set sold for. 59.95 with about 1.13 oz of silver
    When silver was about 5 and oz >>

60->100 is about 3.5% inflation per year

<< <i>So not even 2 ounces of silver in this set. I think this set has broken the record at 290% premium over spot. If the dealers undercut each other to sell a 70 set in the $200 range I may buy. Not really a Kennedy collector, but could be a nice set. >>

The clad of $1 face for $9.95 is one premium "winner" outside the spot story

<< <i>Two sets for me.

No flipping, just want a couple of sets. >>

Limit to hold

With 150,000 sets at the starting gate, this is going to be a sprint of the lemmings over a cliff into the sea. I think
    I might be in it for one or two sets just because I hate eating someone elses leftover discards on the bay. I passed
    on the Gold trinkets but these Silvers will be worth having, even with a high mintage. Not a candidate for price
    appreciation but a nice collectible in itself.

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for one ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
    Just a heads up.

Your credit card information probably wasn't brought over to the new site. (Mine wasn't.)

If you plan on ordering these sets, you'll probably want to add a CC on the mint site so it doesn't slow down the ordering process on Oct 28.

BTW, my order history only goes back to 2008. I've contacted the mint, and their reply was, "That's the way it is." image
    Haven't seen anyone post the link to the set on the mint's website...

50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection

Household limit=5.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    So the Kennedy Gold is the only High Relief though the mint describes it as a "strong raised portrait".

The clad are supposed to be high relief but the mint describes them as
    "the obverse features a strong but simple portrait of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy"

Can strong be the same as high relief since the mint does not call them high relief. The TPGs are calling them high relief even the mint does not describe them as such.

So the silvers will also be labeled by the TPGs as High Relief too?
    I don't think any are labeled high relief by pcgs, are they?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file