Home U.S. Coin Forum

I stalked this toned ASE for over a year.........

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
As some of you know, one of my side indulgences are toned American Silver Eagles. I have posted many here before. This ASE has been for sale on Ebay, Great Collections, and at large shows with a hefty price tag.
I was able to trade some of my extras with the Dealer to finally obtain one of the most unusual ASE's I have seen. Thanks to Steve at Stateline Coin Exchange for working with me.image

imageimage

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! I used to own that coin (or, it's identical twin) when it was in a PCI holder over ten years ago.

Love that ring of maroon and purple!

peacockcoins

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely different. I think that one would grow on me more and more over time, and I like it quite a bit already!
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful example...now excuse me while I go and make a cream soda float with a swirl of raspberry sauce on top image

Congrats,
    Erik
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. image
    I was thinking PCI too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous coin. Persistence pays!!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coin with unusually nice color imageimage
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful! I used to own that coin (or, it's identical twin) when it was in a PCI holder over ten years ago.

Love that ring of maroon and purple! >>

I'm sure this is the coin. Not seen anything close to this before. I've looked at hundreds. Where did you find it and did you make money when you sold??
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.
    Definitely PCI slab toning.
    Just search 'monster ASE PCGS' on eBay...at the moment there are three similar examples that pop up.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Certainly has eye appeal!
  • That one would catch my eye if I saw it, yum!
    david

<< <i>Cool.
    Just search 'monster ASE PCGS' on eBay...at the moment there are three similar examples that pop up. >>

Including this very coin with a BIN - PCGS #24780117.

I didn't realize the OP's coin is currently for sale.

What happens if someone buys it via BIN now?

<< <i>Cool.
    Just search 'monster ASE PCGS' on eBay...at the moment there are three similar examples that pop up. >>

Seattle, While I would agree that there are similar "ringed" PCI examples out there, (I own another as well) the color change, from fuscia to violet within this ring is
    something I haven't seen before. All of these things are like a fingerprint, no two alike.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bsn, on closer inspection I do see what you mean...that is especially cool. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool.

Including this very coin with a BIN - PCGS #24780117.

I didn't realize the OP's coin is currently for sale.

What happens if someone buys it via BIN now? >>

I saw this as well. I'm sure Steve had to drive from Dalton, Ga. back to his home state of Indiana this weekend. He will take down the auction shortly. I have it in my possession and took pics this evening.

<< <i>

<< <i>Beautiful! I used to own that coin (or, it's identical twin) when it was in a PCI holder over ten years ago.

Love that ring of maroon and purple! >>

I'm sure this is the coin. Not seen anything close to this before. I've looked at hundreds. Where did you find it and did you make money when you sold?? >>

I was super heavy into collecting these about a decade ago. I picked up five PCI (old holder) beauties at a Long Beach coin show and this one was head and shoulders above the rest. I think I was able to sell the four and it ended up paying for the fifth one- which I kept for quite awhile.

I either sold it myself on eBay or consigned it to Richard (greattoning) many years ago. Obviously the new owner then had it crossed. A worthy and rare looking Eagle, to be sure and one to be proud of.
    Enjoy your new purchase!

peacockcoins

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Love that ring of maroon and purple! >>

Miss Liberty looks like she might be thinking "I love beets, but they make me fart" imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Ah, Sunday morning, surfing the bay for some color....
    Just a little rainbow on this one, null
    Sometime a little color goes a long way
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is one slightly toned imageANACS holder
  • BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    That '98 reminds me of the opening credits of BONANZA. When the yellow map burns a hole in it.
    I'm 32 and my dad used to make me watch that show all the time in reruns. HATED it when I was a kid. So boring. But lately I've been on a western kick on Netflix and I'm thinking about watching the show in its entirety. Sorry....OT
    GREAT LOOKING COINS!
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! BEAUUUTIFUL! I love it. I'm pretty sure you feel the same? The best thing about it is, #1. it's beautiful and #2. it's in the right holder. What eye candy you have their. also, knowing it hasn't been baked.imageimageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Isn't there a real danger in buying a modern pure silver coin whose value is almost purely derived from its toning that the coin's color changes 20 years from now or somehow turns in the holder based on gas getting in or something like that?
  • Wow! Those are neat!

<< <i>Isn't there a real danger in buying a modern pure silver coin whose value is almost purely derived from its toning that the coin's color changes 20 years from now or somehow turns in the holder based on gas getting in or something like that? >>

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. To answer the above question, the entire toned market is based on the desirable color and not entirely on the numismatic value. So one would assume that if the colors changed
    negatively in the PCGS holder, it would effect the coins desirability and thus the value. Most, if not all of the coins entered PCGS holders already toned by some other source. Raymond Wayte albums rim toned a lot of silver. PCI holder coins were gassed by the insert ring or label, we are not sure. Bagged Morgans in mint vaults toned over a long period of time. Soooo, lots of outside influences to toned coins. A lot more ugly toned coins than desirable toned
    coins. I'm not aware, with the exception of the MOC rattler, of any coins significantly turning in PCGS holders. Twenty years from now? No one can be certain. I'm going to enjoy them while I have them in my possession. Here are
    four more from my box of twenty. Mel

imageimage
    imageimage
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Be careful with these PCI toned Silver Eagles. Remember that they toned because of the holder. And if they are still in the holder, they are still toning. How they look today will not be how they look several years from now.

Just because it gets taken out of the PCI holder doesn't mean it stops toning, either. Whatever the agent is, is still affecting the coin. I have cracked several PCI toners and had them graded by PCGS. Over the course of several years, the toning on those coins has changed for the worst. The other PCGS toned coins in my collection that I have held for several years have not changed their toning.

The toning is not stable on these particular coins the PCI toned coins, most of which are Silver Eagles.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.

<< <i>Be careful with these PCI toned Silver Eagles. Remember that they toned because of the holder. And if they are still in the holder, they are still toning. How they look today will not be how they look several years from now.

Just because it gets taken out of the PCI holder doesn't mean it stops toning, either. Whatever the agent is, is still affecting the coin. I have cracked several PCI toners and had them graded by PCGS. Over the course of several years, the toning on those coins has changed for the worst. The other PCGS toned coins in my collection that I have held for several years have not changed their toning.

The toning is not stable on these particular coins the PCI toned coins, most of which are Silver Eagles. >>

When cracked from the PCI slabs, place the raw coin in the freezer overnight and the next day leave out for a few hours- room temperature- before blowing compressed air on the surfaces, place in flips, and ship off to PCGS.

peacockcoins

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Be careful with these PCI toned Silver Eagles. Remember that they toned because of the holder. And if they are still in the holder, they are still toning. How they look today will not be how they look several years from now.

The toning is not stable on these particular coins the PCI toned coins, most of which are Silver Eagles. >>

When cracked from the PCI slabs, place the raw coin in the freezer overnight and the next day leave out for a few hours- room temperature- before blowing compressed air on the surfaces, place in flips, and ship off to PCGS. >>

Please elaborate on this recommendation to freeze and then restore to room temp......
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
    Your PM responded to.
    Would add this: The silver never really 'freezes' so to speak.

peacockcoins

• One that I just sold that's pretty much a twin...

1998 ASE PCGS MS67

<< <i>One that I just sold that's pretty much a twin...

1998 ASE PCGS MS67 >>

What are you smokin' tonight Shane????
  • Beautiful ASEs all of them. If these toning patterns were on anything else they would most likely be called AT image
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another with the same pattern just not a vibrant...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    i have a few nice ones in my eBay inventory. please check them out but Don't buy them...this is not a solicitation. Just very pertinent to the discussion. Besides, I price mine WAY to high to be considered by buyers...lol.

See my ebay handle "ishopcoinshows4you"

Doug
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

When cracked from the PCI slabs, place the raw coin in the freezer overnight and the next day leave out for a few hours- room temperature- before blowing compressed air on the surfaces, place in flips, and ship off to PCGS. >>

Interesting information. Will try and keep this in mind if I come across any more PCI toners I want to crack and have graded. Thank you.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
    Since the thread found it's way back, I'll post 4 more from my set.

imageimage
    imageimage

<< <i>i have a few nice ones in my eBay inventory. please check them out but Don't buy them...this is not a solicitation. Just very pertinent to the discussion. Besides, I price mine WAY to high to be considered by buyers...lol.

See my ebay handle "ishopcoinshows4you"

Doug >>

You've got a couple of nice ones listed Doug, but your definitely PROUD of them.image
  • uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭
    Thanks Bolivar. Yeah, I tend to use my eBay inventory mainly as a "museum showcase". Lol...I do price some more reasonably from time to time, but I guess it just makes me smile to look at my pics all together in public. image

I have another 30 or so PCI toned ASE's (and actually other PCI denominations that tone similarly), but it seems I never have time to list them! Not to mention another 100 or so rainbows that I enjoy too! Darn day job! haha.

Doug

p.s. I love all the ASE's of color posted in this thread...beautiful!
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file