Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP type III Liberty w/ motto

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
This arrived in yesterday's mail. Now that we've had a day to ourselves, thought I'd share. image It's much brighter in hand. I'm very pleased.

_

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I think you need to make a guitar strap out of nothing but these. Just drill two holes in them and connect them together. Would look good on Nessy........ image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice. i really enjoy seeing the copper patina.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>Very nice. I think you need to make a guitar strap out of nothing but these. Just drill two holes in them and connect them together. Would look good on Nessy........ image >>

Haha! Yes if only I had a mint in my basement, that's exactly what I would do. Oh snap, I don't have a basement.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, if it's not from Saddle Ridge it doesn't interest me.

NOT! Great looking twenty image
  • Options
    That is one very nice coin and a great image as well. Thank you for sharing after one day, I would have taken a couple more lol
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    That's a nice looking coin and a big chunk of gold to boot.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, if it's not from Saddle Ridge it doesn't interest me.

NOT! Great looking twenty image >>

Kaz, how did you know! image

It is from Saddle Ridge. I wanted to get some reactions before posting the origin and grade.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64 Saddle Ridge gold would have been my first thought. A little bit of dark "stuff" on the obv rim around 7:00 with some faint field hairlines in that area, possibly caused by conservation efforts. But, overall just the lightest of marks from 65 quality. Overall look is closer to gem unc than choice unc. Very clean obverse fields with bold and unbroken luster. If you got this as a 63 then you did very well.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Thank you sir! I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I could not afford a 64 or a 63, if you get my drift ... she's a 92 and I'm not the least bit ashamed to say so. All those coins were heavily conserved. I bought the coin not the plastic and I love looking at it image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>Thank you sir! I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly. Unfortunately I could not afford a 64 or a 63, if you get my drift ... she's a 92 and I'm not the least bit ashamed to say so. All those coins were heavily conserved. I bought the coin not the plastic and I love looking at it image >>

Interesting. It didn't look worked enough for me to even consider that. It must be the leftover rust stains on the rim and the light field wiping that led to the 92. Bottom line is that it has the eye appeal of a borderline gem coin....at least from the photos. An impressive looking $20 Double Eagle. image
  • Options
    It's nice to know that you and I aren't the only ones who think so (based on the comments above). In hand it's much brighter, like I imagine gem gold ought to be. The marks in the pics are definitely on the coin. But when you tilt slightly in the light, they vanish. Of all the coins in my price range, this had the cleanest cheek. That was the first thing I looked for.

I compared it side by side with many of the graded coins. They all had the rough wear in the hair (top of bust). They all had wear above left of the motto (rev). They all had copper spots or toning. The only marks which I can tell made this a 92 instead of a 64 were the obv hairlines and rim thing that you pointed out.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is a nice looking coin cleaned or not. congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks steveben!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    That is one beauty of a Coin. One of my weaknesses, a nice big old $20 Liberty. Someday soon, I hope to upgrade on
    the two I have. I actually have an MS63 and an MS64 but they are both DOGGS in comparison to yours.

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful looking coin Lochness

Weren't almost all of the coins from Saddle Ridge cleaned? No difference IMO .. cleaned/"conserved"/"professionally restored" is cleaned to me

"Properly" cleaned ....... terme de la journée
    imageimage
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    I was gonna say MS63+, as I didn't see the .92 coming. GORGEOUS! Congrats on your coin. I'd love to have a piece like that.
  • Options
    Yes SAM5969, they were all heavily conserved. They were caked in mud and who knows what else from over a century of exposure to weather and the soil. In fact, a really fancy booklet was enclosed with the coin showing the side-by-side comparison. I'm sure they started with distilled water, but I'm thinking a more ... concerted effort was required. As I mentioned above, I looked closely at the 63's and 64's and felt the difference between this and them was negligible.

Now .... if this was not a saddle ridge piece ... and was cleaned .... would I have bought it? I honestly can't say. I mean, knowing all of the hoard was cleaned was definitely comforting in my decision to buy. But then again, it does look great doesn't it. I'd like to think that I would have bought it either way. But I must admit that I am usually averse to genuine slabs. If you're gonna put your money down you might as well get a grade. Unless you live in a different zip code. In this case, this coin was "the most bang for my buck."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    Could have been one of the coins that was cleaned by the couple before they called in the experts?
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful looking coin Lochness

Weren't almost all of the coins from Saddle Ridge cleaned? No difference IMO .. cleaned/"conserved"/"professionally restored" is cleaned to me

"Properly" cleaned ....... terme de la journée >>

This coin likely had some more adherent rust and staining in the obverse 7:00 area. And while others might have cleaned up with just immersion/vibration in solution, some may have needed a form of mechanical wiping. I suspect those obverse hairlines are from something like that. PCGS had to draw the line somewhere on how many hairlines/rust would be acceptable for a grade. The lower right obv field and under the date also appear to show some light lines, but they are mostly in one direction with no obvious trace of rust. Can't say that about the lower left obv fields where the hairlines are in different directions. The rust stain haze runs about half way into the field. It may have been a dark blob covering that entire area before conservation. If the rust bleed through wasn't there maybe this one could have gotten by with a 63/64 grade. This coin was in MS65 or better condition when it was placed with the hoard. And those hairlines were probably not present either. On the plus side, this coin has MS66 luster and frost with minimal high point grazing. 80% of the coin is a moose.

It might be instructive to go back and look at the earlier posted pics of all the MS62-64 coins. I don't recall if any of those showed obvious rust staining (and hairlines too).
  • Options
    I concur. Other 92's showed much more rust and/or deeper cuts (scratches vs. hairlines) which supports this theory IMO.

Compliments and flattery keep coming! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a nice coin. i like image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file